Attacked by another forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attacked by another forum

I'm just wondering what my options are. This morning I've logged into my forums to find it had been 'troll attacked' by a member who had registered in order to cause maximum disruption to the running of the my forums and make sure I had to spend a long time cleaning up after them

Some of the more printable threads include
    "I am the Dark Lord of (other forums) I WILL RELEASE A DEVEASTATING STINK ON YOU"
    "FEAR ME"
    "I WILL SMITE YOU GOMERS DOWN"
    "Hey! (name of one of our moderators) You are a fat ugly cow"

Obviously this person has been banned immediately but what concerns me is that this attack has been organised and encouraged by members of a forum which sees itself as being in opposition with us. Their members had previously caused trouble but their moderators put a stop to it, where this time the moderators are posting enouraging messages to them at their forum.
    Last edited by Mark Hewitt; Tue 27 Jan '04, 12:28am.
    Motorsport Forums

Ive had to deal with this before, I just blocked all traffic coming from that site, and banned members that still tried to post. I also made their url a replacment on my board so if it was posted it would just link back to my homepage.

Comment

Url replacement good one !
      My Sites :

Comment

Mark:

I'd recommend notifying the head administrator to have him keep a check on his members and ask them to behave. Furthermore, I'd recommend that if they don't keep a check on their members, you'd threaten to sue them for harassment.

As for the idiot you banned, if there is any mention of hacking or anything illegal to your site, you should contact that guy's ISP and have them terminate his service.
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
          Mark:

I'd recommend notifying the head administrator to have him keep a check on his members and ask them to behave. Furthermore, I'd recommend that if they don't keep a check on their members, you'd threaten to sue them for harassment.

As for the idiot you banned, if there is any mention of hacking or anything illegal to your site, you should contact that guy's ISP and have them terminate his service.
          So let me get this straight...If one of these annoying people is a member of another forum, you recomend sueing the forum in question?

How is the world does that work?

If you go back to that board you're just gonna stir the nest. The best way to deal with these things is to not engage them and remove the questionalble posts. These people want attention, when they don't get it they go away.

Contacting the offending users ISP may work, but that too may backfire. If the ISP discloses the complaint, the user will just retaliate through his friends.

I think ignoring the offenders, not responding to them, and banning them is your best bet.

P.S. I love the replacement code trick for URLs!
          Computer Help Forum
          An informed rider makes their first destination the motorcycle forum at rider info.

Comment

Well you can only contact the ISP on certain ground. For example, someone threatened to transmit a virus to my server and hack it as well via email.

I immediately located their ISP and tracked down their terms of service/agreement for using their service, found a clause in their agreement saying they can't transmit a virus willingly and threaten or hack someone.

After contacted their ISP...the guy hasn't been heard from
            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

How do you block all traffic coming from another site?

Comment

We got 'attacked' by a bunch of idiots on a rival forum months ago, they got bored in the end. I think there is a nice hack on vb.org that redirects a specified usergroup to a page that opens hundreds of popup windows and crashes their PC, might try that.:O

Comment

You can't do anything about "Forum" invasions, even if the admins and the site condone and encourage it. Since trolling a giant forum is just making a large ammount of stupid troll posts, however if the users hack the coding its something different. I've seem some pretty hilarious forum invasions, including one that a person was stupid enough to enable the [Flash] script, so the invaders made giant 249242 x 3592852 flash movies with goatse and annoying music autoplaying, sadly theres nothing you can do unless they upload a virus or hack your coding. Besides I don't think theres many smarties that would spend thousands of dollars on a lawyer to get a few measly bucks back for bandwith charges, even at that the case would be probably thrown out since you had deleted all the evidence. Internet .

Comment

There is a forum that takes over boards...man its crappy. I had to deal with them. I shut down new registerations.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X