No announcement yet.

Is there a browser called "VB Project"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a browser called "VB Project"?

Hi,
    In my access.log I keep getting a lot of visits from this guy "VB Project", most likely it's a bot (an automated program). Anybody heared of this browser/program?

Thanks.
    R.L.

Check out this:
    Usage Statistics for www.ripe.net

Summary Period: September 2002 - User Agent
    Generated 08-May-2003 19:37 CEST

Code:
                Hits      User Agent
      ----------------  ----------------------

16454245  74.48%  Microsoft Internet Explorer
      1427257    6.46%  Misc. Mozilla (inc. older Netscape)
      633124     2.87%  Misc. Gecko
      469202     2.12%  Opera
      284464     1.29%  Netscape 6+
      99407      0.45%  Lynx
      81409      0.37%  Konqueror
      58473      0.26%  wget
      49332      0.22%  Galeon
      8537       0.04%  Big Brother
      964        0.00%  Phoenix

374241     1.69%  Scooter/3.3
      312279     1.41%  :robot/1.0 (linux) ( admin e-mail: [email protected] http://www.neofonie.de/loesungen/search/robot.html )
      200592     0.91%  Googlebot/2.1 (+http://www.googlebot.com/bot.html)
      172630     0.78%  PHP/4.1.2
      122476     0.55%  libwww-perl/5.47
      109779     0.50%  VB Project
      54269      0.25%  MSProxy/2.0
      45799      0.21%  Mercator-2.0
      41078      0.19%  Microsoft URL Control - 6.00.8862
      27170      0.12%  SOFTWING_TEAR_AGENT_1_0
      23720      0.11%  ia_archiver
      23326      0.11%  PHP/4.2.2
    For a complete list of more than a 1000 user agents visit:
    http://www2.ripe.net/ripencc/pub-ser...nt_200209.html

Silly me, I thought there are only 4 or 5 user agents out there .
    Last edited by RandomLove; Sun 18 Jan '04, 1:01pm.

Comment

Maybe it is a browser someone is developing in Visual Basic.

Comment

Hmm, you mean there could be more than ONE browser using fingerprint "VB Project"?
        Very scary...I have no idea what this guy is up to. He/she is reading every single thread in my forum!!!

Comment

Hmm... Might it be that Visual Basic program that you can use to connect to a forum to download all of the posts to read offline?
          "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
          "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
          Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

Not for sure on this one, but when you are using Visual Basic... you can install or make your own very VERy basic browser to start with where you can surf and what not... maybe someone used that idea and built off the code.. or could it be a site ripper program...

just a thought.. cause I have never heard of a vb project type browser.

Comment

This is a script for cracking VB Sites, wich mean someone is trying to hack or distroy your forum.

You might see in your log somthing like this:

http://www.domain.com/forum/member.php?username=XXX&password=YYY&action=login&url=%2Fforum%2Fnewreply.phpHTTP/1.0" 200 8705 "-" "VB Project"

XXX= one of your users

YYY= A random password.

It is very effective if users have simple passwords.

Sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Remi
                This is a script for cracking VB Sites, wich mean someone is trying to hack or distroy your forum.

You might see in your log somthing like this:

http://www.domain.com/forum/member.php?username=XXX&password=YYY&action=login&url=%2Fforum%2Fnewreply.phpHTTP/1.0" 200 8705 "-" "VB Project"

XXX= one of your users

YYY= A random password.

It is very effective if users have simple passwords.

Sorry
                Nowhere in member.php is there a check for $_REQUEST[ 'password' ] (at least in vB3). Thus, I fail to see how that would work.

And also, there is no $_REQUST[ 'action' ] in member.php or login.php

So, how does that work?
                Bugdar: PHP bug tracking software that is beautiful, fast, and robust.

Comment

Originally posted by daemon
                  Nowhere in member.php is there a check for $_REQUEST[ 'password' ] (at least in vB3). Thus, I fail to see how that would work.

So, how does that work?
                  Is there a $_GET['password']? I haven't looked at vB3's code, so if there's something weird like they don't use $_GET, then that's why.
                  "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
                  "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
                  Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

Looks like a URL to Force the Passwords at random
                    @[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by daemon

So, how does that work?
                      Try it your self, I can tell you that it DOES sadly work in versions other than VB3.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X