No announcement yet.

MikeRoweSoft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really don't see how having a name that sounds the same could be classified as copyright infringement. If they did pursue it and won, would the kid have to change his name? Would he have to go by Michael Rowe now? Also, what does Microsoft have to do with micro software? Have you tried loading ASP.net software? It took me 3 hours!!! That's by no means micro. Can we sue them for false advertising?!?!?

Comment

Well then it'd be like "Michael Rowe The Boat Ashore", and someone has to hold copyrights on that too, right? (bleh, probably not )
      Last edited by CeleronXT; Thu 22nd Jan '04, 4:35pm.
      "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
      "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
      Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

Why would he have to change his legal name? It's the 'soft' at the end of the domain name that is causing problems.

Comment

What if he started making his own software?

Comment

There are plenty of other people named Mike Rowe, I'm sure they wouldn't have to change their names. Anyways, I read that Microsoft admits they might be too harsh on the kid and they might be pushing the legal part of their Microsoft copyright a little too far.

Comment

It's the fact that Mike Rowe and Micro are about as similar as white and black, they only sound the same.

Comment

Originally posted by dynamite
                It's the fact that Mike Rowe and Micro are about as similar as white and black, they only sound the same.
                Exactly.

Dark Shogun

Comment

Mike has agreed to change the site name (mikeroweforums.com... which has nothing to do with his web design business so the name suggests) microsoft is paying for name change and all applicable out of pocket expenses and also funding a Microsoft certification training, amongs other things.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/nation/7787772.htm

Comment

well id change if theyd give me that ^^

Comment

I thinks its disgusting what this kid did, i mean out of sheer coincidence and being a cheeky little git hes now famous, has been paid off hugely by ms, will porbably end up doing quite well in his design business (even tho hes probs not that good), i mean hes getting ms certfied etc for life here and everyone else who is studying this and doing the work needed ahas to struggle and hes gets a free pass on the fact that he managed to quids in off of ms, I mean he knew from the start that it was doing it, i mean its not like he could of just realised when ms contacted him. No doubt is started with him and a bud having a laff and sayign wow it be neat if that happened and it has by sheer chance...

Comment

It is total BS, i would of loved to see this kid lose. He was paid everything too much.
                        Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

hm...he made his site a forum now... powered by vBulletin too... interesting
                          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

He made $8k in donations as well....not bad! Although he is claiming that he will be giving it to charity...
                            Raz - KMC Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Raz Meister
                              He made $8k in donations as well....not bad! Although he is claiming that he will be giving it to charity...
                              Sure sure He was asking for $10k initally from MS, this is close enough isn't it?

Comment

Actually he was only asking for $1k as I remember but people all over the place seem to get this mixed up for some reason?

Maybe it is because they just want to take the guy down further and further off his pedistol.

As for me kudos to the guy for not backing down and working the system and getting something out of it.
                                Surrix.net: Computer help forums/articles

The person in my avatar is Elisha Cuthbert she plays on Fox's 24

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X