Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rockergrrl
    replied
    I've never had any problem with people wiring money into my account. Most of which have been strangers. I had someone wire me $85,000 (yes, thousand) to buy some laptops which he bought from me, and no problems.

The best bet, is to get a deposit only account (yes, your bank can put such restrictions on your account), and then transfer the money into your regular bank acount.

When I was 18, I had an employee of Current (the check printing company), steal my checks that I had just ordered to be printed, and she wrote $50,000 worth of bad checks using the checks she stole from Current. She also stole checks from someone that had ordered from there - which she got caught for.

Leave a comment:

• Beorn
    replied
    Originally posted by IDN
    I'm a cashier, and everyone tells me I'm one of the few people who check the cards. If it doesn't have a signature, and it's over $20, I ask for ID. If there's no idea, I flat out refuse to use the card. The head cashier, at our holiday meeting even said he doesn't check most of the time, and said specifically I was the only one who did.

Additionally, I'm the only one who actually knows how to use Traveller's Checks. You sign the top line as soon as you get it. Then, the cashier watches you countersign.

So, don't go grouping all cashiers together. We may mostly be teens, but I know one of us isn't stupid.

Leave a comment:

• Ksilebo
    replied
    Plus, it takes 10 seconds to take out the card, swipe, enter PIN if needed, wait for approval, sign paper/screen if needed, get receipt and go. I hate writing checks.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by IDN
    Yeah, I have seen that as well. I use a debit card mostly which requires a PIN but it also has my picture and signature right there on the front of the card. Plus my cards all have $0 Liability policies so anything fraudalent on them and it gets replaced. It is harder to do that with checks.

Leave a comment:

• Drile
    replied
    Originally posted by IDN
    That was great.

Thanks for the link, I am bookmarking that.

Leave a comment:

• IDN
    replied
    Unfortunately, today the signature is not even looked at when cashing a check.
    http://www.zug.com/pranks/credit/

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    I would recommend talking to your banking institution to setup a temporary account that's strictly to receive funds. Just tell them you are worry that they will try to withdraw all your funds.

Because with all that information, they can grab all that money right out of your account

Leave a comment:

• filburt1
    replied
    Nowadays, there isn't even a need for checks. I can pay my Visa bill online (and do), I have a Visa Check Card...nothing that requires the time-consuming and insecure process of check-writing. It's also hard to get refunds on stuff bought with a check compared to a credit card. And checks don't build credit.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by SkuZZy
    So what is it that makes a void cheque different than the information i'm giving him? Is there some kind of other number on the cheque which enables withdrawls? I'm guessing that's what it is
    Give me a voided check and I can run 10,000 of them off in an hour. In fact anyone with blank stock (available at any paper distributor), printer and a MICR encoder can do the same. All of these are available on the local market with legitimate business purposes.

Now you are saying, but you can't match my signature... Unfortunately, today the signature is not even looked at when cashing a check. In fact the companies doing the check processing don't even have access to your stored signature. The only time they will review signatures is if there is a discrepancy. Not only that but clerks at stores accepting the checks rarely check your ID anymore and even if they do, it doesn't have to match the name on the check, which I found out from past experience.

Someone stole 50 checks from me which were on a closed account. They cashed them at various places around town. I started getting notices about the checks because of course they didn't clear. When reviewing the checks with the police department, we noticed they all had a Driver's License Number on them. A number which was not mine. That is the only reason why I didn't go to jail for writing $5000 worth of bad checks. Unfortunately, I was unable to cash checks anywhere for 5 years after than because a company that tells stores if a check is good put my name in the system and they wouldn't remove it even though it was proven that I didn't write the checks. Now, I don't write checks for practically anything. Still on the first box of 250 from when I opened my last account. If a store doesn't accept debit cards and I don't have the cash on me, I don't shop there. I don't even carry checks, they are locked in a safe.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    My bad. Thanks Wayne. I was going by memory since this info is not available unless you place an order.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Actually Steve, we do give out the account number on the Wire Transfer accounts, there isn't any other way to do a wire transfer. Though, I had to verify that by creating a dummy order first.

To do a transfer, you need the account number, swift code and some banks require an ABA routing number. The Routing Number and Swift Code only identify the institution, they still need an account number to know where to place the funds.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Actually it's the SWIFT code and institution. Sorry. But no bank account number is given out.

To see the page you'll need to go through the actual process of placing an order.

Leave a comment:

• SkuZZy
    replied
    I was searching around and noticed a lot of other sites posting information public. One example is Stanford University: http://cue.stanford.edu/globals/wire_transfer.html

They post their SWIFT Code, Account #, ABA Routing #, Bank Address and other information. Their account might be "deposit only" or something though.

Leave a comment:

• SkuZZy
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol
    Hmmm...I would be very suspicious personally. When people make wire transfer for purchases of vB we provide them the SWIFT code. There is no need to provide the account number and we don't.
    Steve,

What do you mean? I've never heard of that... everyone uses the same SWIFT code at a bank, so I don't see how anyone could deposit money to your account with just a SWIFT code. Mind showing me the page with the wire transfer information on it?

Cheers,
    Adam

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Hmmm...I would be very suspicious personally. When people make wire transfer for purchases of vB we provide them the SWIFT code. There is no need to provide the account number and we don't.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X