X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marco
    replied
    Originally posted by SkuZZy
    So what is it that makes a void cheque different than the information i'm giving him? Is there some kind of other number on the cheque which enables withdrawls? I'm guessing that's what it is
    Err... well I have no experience with checks.
    But I guess that, with a blank check, someone can go to a bank and cash in however much money they want. However you can't just go to a bank and tell them "I want to cash in $XXXX from account number YYYY", because they'll then tell you to sod off.

The only one who can transfer money from your account into another account is you (unless for example you give a company, such as a phone company who sends you a bill every month, specific permission to do so, and even then it's just as easily revoked).

So, no worries

Leave a comment:

• SkuZZy
    replied
    One more thing, I should also note, this is a CHECKING account. Does that make a difference?

Leave a comment:

• SkuZZy
    replied
    Originally posted by Marco
    Yes, there is absolutely no risk involved as far as I can see.
    There is nothing he can do with an account number, except transfer money to it
    So what is it that makes a void cheque different than the information i'm giving him? Is there some kind of other number on the cheque which enables withdrawls? I'm guessing that's what it is

Leave a comment:

• Marco
    replied
    Yes, there is absolutely no risk involved as far as I can see.
    There is nothing he can do with an account number, except transfer money to it

Leave a comment:

• SkuZZy
    started a topic Giving out bank information?

Giving out bank information?

Ok, this is probably the most off-topic post i've ever made here on vbulletin, but this is the most "intelligent" community I post on, and I want serious answers.

I recentely sold something and the buyer wants to pay by wire transfer. Is it safe to give him out my bank information? He needs Account #, SWIFT Code and Institution #. I called my bank and talked with a knowledgable lady. She said there is absolutely no risk in giving out my bank information, she just told me to never give out a void check. But after looking on the net, I see all these warnings about not giving out account #'s.

So what's the bottom line? Is it safe to send this guy my account #, swift code and institution #? I was leaning towards HELL NO, but this chick on the phone insisited that it was ok to do. The other option I have is to just open a new "dummy" account and use that one for these kinds of deposits, and just transfer the funds to my real account once I get them. This is probably what i'll do, but I still want an answer to my question

Anyone have one?

Adam
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X