This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CeleronXT
    I have the money to throw at this case, even if it fails, so I will proceed. I just need a lawyer.
    This is so very trivial. I can't believe you're going to contribute to the quagmire of frivolous lawsuits clogging our judicial system -- and do so with a clear conscience.

You should consider redirecting some of your pride in being an American toward doing the right thing here. With age and maturity should also come a desire to try to do the right thing for the common good ... not just what will satisfy you at the moment or meet your own self centered needs.

If you actually do get a case like this before a judge, and if the judge doesn't sneer you right out of the court room, you're going to be wasting tax payer money and public resources that could better be put to use handling a case of actual importance.

Way to go. And you wonder why people think we Americans are all arrogant jerks? You're not doing much to dispell that notion.

Comment

Originally posted by Tungsten
      This is so very trivial. I can't believe you're going to contribute to the quagmire of frivolous lawsuits clogging our judicial system -- and do so with a clear conscience.

You should consider redirecting some of your pride in being an American toward doing the right thing here. With age and maturity should also come a desire to try to do the right thing for the common good ... not just what will satisfy you at the moment or meet your own self centered needs.

If you actually do get a case like this before a judge, and if the judge doesn't sneer you right out of the court room, you're going to be wasting tax payer money and public resources that could better be put to use handling a case of actual importance.

Way to go. And you wonder why people think we Americans are all arrogant jerks? You're not doing much to dispell that notion.
      Like I've said, it is not trivial, and it does damage myself and my reputation, and possibly financially in the future. (Again, more details that I'm not supposed to release)

I feel that I am being quite mature about it in. I could be here bashing the daylights out of this board and it's administrator, but I'm not. And while they are not giving me my own privacy rights, I'm giving them theirs.
      "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
      "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
      Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

So how did they damage you? You would also have to prove that they have.......

Comment

I think it's very possible that there is more substance to CeleronXT's position than one might think. Rather than dismiss it out of hand, or worse, ridicule it without knowing the full story, I suggest that we try and find out more about the true legalities involved. Since many of us administer Bulletin Board Communities, this is the kind of stuff we should try and get a better understanding of. Finding out you're wrong after legal papers have been served can just ruin your day...
          The Admin Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators
          Articles - Forum Review
          Interviews:
          KierScottJerryAndreasSteveWayneJakeFlorisLogicianErwin
          Paul M

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew
            So how did they damage you? You would also have to prove that they have.......
            I can prove that it has, and I will. Just not here in public.
            Originally posted by the Sandman
            I think it's very possible that there is more substance to CeleronXT's position than one might think. Rather than dismiss it out of hand, or worse, ridicule it without knowing the full story, I suggest that we try and find out more about the true legalities involved. Since many of us administer Bulletin Board Communities, this is the kind of stuff we should try and get a better understanding of. Finding out you're wrong after legal papers have been served can just ruin your day...
            Righto, there is a lot more to it than I can post about, of course, so those on this board probably will not ever actually find out the whole story.
            "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
            "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Comment

Seriously guys, give Celeron a break... it's not like he's suing McDonalds because "they made him fat" or something if you're not going to help him with what he needs to know then there is no need to say anything here since he's not gonna give out any more information anyway.

Just my $0.02

Comment

Amazing how people keep assuming that all he is posting is all the substance of his complaint. I understand you can't post everything as it might taint the evidence I have seen it a lot while in Business Law class.

My suggestion is maybe find another route or a slower one maybe by contacting a lawyer to send them a letter about the charges you are going to make against them provided they don't remove your information. I would also in that letter send a copy of it to there hosting provider by looking up there WHOIS information and finding there host out. If that doesn't get them then take them on and make a little money

If all is true as you say you shouldn't have a doubt about losing and mostlikly you will bring his entire site down.
                Surrix.net: Computer help forums/articles

The person in my avatar is Elisha Cuthbert she plays on Fox's 24

Comment

Like most people here I'm not a lawyer and this is merely my opinion based on my own poor knowledge.

Regardless of the TOS it seems they have a right to deny their service to anyone as they see fit to do so. I would ask your lawyer teacher if they are really at fault for keeping up information there that YOU volunteered and that they are in no way keeping up for malicious reasons, its just part of the system.

You may want to research this a bit more, or talk to the teacher you know a bit, before wasting money on perhaps a fruitless endeavor.

that person who broke in can sue you
                  They can sue you because they received harm while on your property. Yes, and you can honestly sue anyone for anything. It doesn't mean you are 'right' or that you'll win.

Comment

If i have to ban someone on my site, i will not remove there account, there accounts and logs are proof of there activities, and thus can be used encase you do anything to the forum.

If a non-banned user asked me to remove them, i would no problem, but if i had to ban someone and then they turn round and say they wanted there account remove, i wouldn't.

I agree with the person who banned you, you are underage, then you should be banned, and it is up to the owner of the board to decide to remove your accout of not.

If you were stupid enough to put in personal details on a site which you were too young for, then i would love to see you win a court battle.

Comment

If Americans are so fixated on their "rights" how come they don't see their freedom stripped away? They LOVE to sue for evey imagined slight but the bottom line it is pure greed. If they had any legal system approaching normal there would be no multi million dollar law suits suing McDonalds because the coffee was too hot. You posted on a public forumm, the cat is out of the bag. Endeth of sermon.

mili

Comment

Originally posted by Surrix
                        Amazing how people keep assuming that all he is posting is all the substance of his complaint. I understand you can't post everything as it might taint the evidence I have seen it a lot while in Business Law class.

My suggestion is maybe find another route or a slower one maybe by contacting a lawyer to send them a letter about the charges you are going to make against them provided they don't remove your information. I would also in that letter send a copy of it to there hosting provider by looking up there WHOIS information and finding there host out. If that doesn't get them then take them on and make a little money

If all is true as you say you shouldn't have a doubt about losing and mostlikly you will bring his entire site down.
                        Finally, some logic is shown in some vB members. (You, Sandman, and MasterMac)

I may have made a horribly embarrasing mistake there - I contacted a host who I believed hosted them, because there was a banner for them on the site and under it it stated that they hosted that forum. Looking at the whois, however, shows a different host entirely. I'll have to look deeper into it.
                        Originally posted by TheDPQ
                        Like most people here I'm not a lawyer and this is merely my opinion based on my own poor knowledge.

Regardless of the TOS it seems they have a right to deny their service to anyone as they see fit to do so. I would ask your lawyer teacher if they are really at fault for keeping up information there that YOU volunteered and that they are in no way keeping up for malicious reasons, its just part of the system.

You may want to research this a bit more, or talk to the teacher you know a bit, before wasting money on perhaps a fruitless endeavor.

They can sue you because they received harm while on your property. Yes, and you can honestly sue anyone for anything. It doesn't mean you are 'right' or that you'll win.
                        Actually that information is being kept for malicious reasons. When I ever-so-politely contacted the admin to request that the information be taken down, he bluntly replied that I was going to have to suffer now. So there goes that argument.

Originally posted by mili
                        If Americans are so fixated on their "rights" how come they don't see their freedom stripped away? They LOVE to sue for evey imagined slight but the bottom line it is pure greed. If they had any legal system approaching normal there would be no multi million dollar law suits suing McDonalds because the coffee was too hot. You posted on a public forumm, the cat is out of the bag. Endeth of sermon.

mili
                        This has nothing to do with greed. If that were the case, I would've just sued first. I would rather not make the money off of it and not have to deal with it at all, but because the admin would not just remove it without making a big fuss about it, this is what happens. Making him pay for it is the only effective means of having the information removed.

Comment

Actually that information is being kept for malicious reasons. When I ever-so-politely contacted the admin to request that the information be taken down, he bluntly replied that I was going to have to suffer now. So there goes that argument.
                          Kept was probably a bad way to state it. If they are posting your account and information for malicious reasons, then yes you have a case. But if you were a member, and you have posts there which lead back to your personal information, i don't think you can blame the forum for people finding it.

As for the other people not taking you seriously or outright bashing you, you'll have to excuse them. Most of us are forum owners and we have had run ins with people trying to 'get back' at us for banning them. Its not right to assume due to lack of information, but its was the only information we had.

Edit: BTW if you ever do take this to court and get it resolved, let us know. I have no idea if i'm legally obligated to remove a user's public information if they request it.
                          Last edited by TheDPQ; Sat 10 Jan '04, 2:34pm.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDPQ
                            As for the other people not taking you seriously or outright bashing you, you'll have to excuse them. Most of us are forum owners and we have had run ins with people trying to 'get back' at us for banning them. Its not right to assume due to lack of information, but its was the only information we had.
                            That's sensible enough. When I was at the forum, though, I believe I was a pretty good member. I contributed constructively and all - the only downfall is that age problem. It's not like while I was there I was making everyone miserable or anything like that.

I've never tried getting back at him at all, and my goal here is not to get back at him, but rather to get my details removed. If, of course, I'm forced to spend a lot of money on a lawyer to have them removed, then yes I'm looking for the money to repay the lawyer and to repay myself for the time and trouble that I'm going to have to go through for this.

Comment

This may be a stupid question but who forced you to type that information into the form?

Comment

Originally posted by ShiningArcanine
                                This may be a stupid question but who forced you to type that information into the form?
                                Nobody did, but how was he supposed to know it would turn out this way?

I don't see why you need to provoke the guy into some petty little argument, which he respectably is keeping away from. You don't own the forum by any chance do you? j/k

I think you should sue, it's getting daft the way that everybody thinks they are so safe and above the law because they're in front of a monitor.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X