No announcement yet.

Windows XP .. Cool :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want to test (unfortunately, not fully) new GUI in Windows and you use WindowsBlinds (hope I wrote it correctly), just download Luna skin.

Comment

Yeah, win2000 doesn't crash nearly as often as it used to...but i hate the way microsoft handles things....the more things u install, the more bloated your system gets, eventually you need to reinstall win2000 to make the darn thing stable, and that isn't easy to do with preconfigured desktops and laptops, always problems with installs.

Comment

XP sucks just as much as all the other windows releases... very, very hard.
        - Insert viable disclaimer here -

ArtBeast!

Comment

Menno , It seems that you're a Linux fan Anyway , Win2K Proved to be reliable and powerful. I don't know if that is correct: Win2K proved to be faster than Linux in serving webpages, may a good configuration of Apache will help ?

Linux is great too

Comment

Oh. My. God.

That thing *SCREAMS* consumer marketing!!!

There's MSN and Hotmail all over the thing! It's... blatant!!

If this doesn't get Microsoft hit with anti-trust, nothing will.

Also, Linux eclipsed Win2K with 200% the serving capacity. When Apache 2.0 is released with Tux2 support and using the Linux 2.4.1 kernel, it's going to decimate anything Windows has for speed.

Understand, it's not just inherit "rightness" of the way to do things, it's seriously advanced memory caching techniques and zero-byte copy techniques that provide the speeds. The figures mean next to nothing when compared with real server tasks, although a company like "download.com" would radically benefit from the new Linux technologies (Tux2, Linux kernel 2.4.1, that is).
            Last edited by Shaman; Mon 19th Feb '01, 8:42am.
            http://racing.kos.net
            http://www.rumour.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Skeptical
              Am I the only one who HATES windows 2000? I hate how the Microsoft marketing people have re-named all those DNS record entries. "A records" have been changed to "Host records", "CNAME" has been changed to "Alias".... What are they trying to do? Kidnap generic internet vocabularies and altering it so future paper mcse's will have ZERO clue in configuring anything except microsoft dns servers?
              Well, I dont like win2k...so you have a friend here. Actually, from the development standpoint...you just cant do any hardware manipulation (i/o) on an NT platform because of its built-in restrictions. Thats my reason...
              version2 aka mol

Mystic Wicks Online Pagan Community Forums
              Mystic Wicks After Dark

Comment

I just hate how Microsoft goes around re-naming things just for the heck of marketing and strategy purposes, all the while confusing would-be admins. But they don't care. It's about their market share. I mean, why re-name the good ol' standard "CNAME" and "A Record" into "Alias" and "Host Record"? And those are the easy ones to figure out too! There are some that have been renamed into such monsters that it'd take you 5 minutes to figure out what is what.

Same thing with Java. Microsft didn't like Java, so they woke up one day and decided to make IE crash and burn every time it visits a page embedded with an applet. It's stupid stunts like these that piss me off about them all the time.
                Well, there it is.
                - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

Wow! Are those 128x128 icons?! How original!

Unfortunately, XP doesn't have a wonderful Quartz layer to fully anti-alias those 128x128 icons and scale their size on the fly according to user preference. So again I say, OS X.

I agree with whoever said that about installing programs in Windows and having your system get more and more bloated until you're forced to reinstall. I have a PC that has run all different flavors of Winblows (consumer and server). At some point it seems you're always forced to format and reinstall just for stability's sake. I had an iMac for 2 years that had so much crap on it was insane. Yet the system always ran tip top, never crashing or giving me any reason to restart (let alone reinstall the OS) for days and even weeks on end. My G4 I got last summer is the same story. I can leave this thing running forever. Apple's consumer OS is certainly more stable than any Windows server OS is. And now with OS X we've got all the power of BSD working for us as well as a very savy 2d and 3d layer. So now Mac has even more stability, better multitasking, a GUI to kill all GUIs, and development tools (cocoa) for programmers, etc that absolutely kills any other platform.

Did I mention I like Macs?

Comment

Originally posted by Jakeman
                    Did I mention I like Macs?
                    LOL
                    Jordan Gadd
                    Contact Information

Comment

Personally I think Windows XP is going to be the worst release ever. Have you heard about Microsoft's Plans? They want to charge an annual fee to use Windows! And on top of that they are trying this new ASP.Net crap and application service providers.

This means instead of buying your programs you run them off the web. The data is stored on they're server so if they shut down your data is lost and you can no longer use that program. If you don't have a connection/can't afford one your out of luck because you won't have a choice.

If your connection is a 56k modem your out of luck too. Broadband is required here because 1.You need a connetion whenever you want to use a program and 2.56k might be too slow.

In my opinion it's more Microsoft garbage and I hope Application Service Providers and this annual fee for Windows thing doesn't get to far.

And if they start charing an annual fee I'm going to stick with what I have now, which is Windows 2000.

Comment

I really, really hope the .NET idea fails misirably
                        - Insert viable disclaimer here -

ArtBeast!

Comment

Ok. So I sat down one day and read just about everything I could read concerning .net . I read the white papers, blah, blah...mainly because my boss wanted to know more about it...

After all of that i can proudly say...

O
                          DOT THIS! :P

Not going to happen.
                          version2 aka mol

Mystic Wicks Online Pagan Community Forums
                          Mystic Wicks After Dark

Comment

Incidentally, .Net is absolutely not new.

Java has done what .Net has planned for about five years now. And it does it better, right now, not in two years. Welcome to Microsoft spin.
                            http://racing.kos.net
                            http://www.rumour.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Shaman
                              Incidentally, .Net is absolutely not new.

Java has done what .Net has planned for about five years now. And it does it better, right now, not in two years. Welcome to Microsoft spin.

Of course it isn't new. Didn't you read the press release? It's a "MICROSOFT" initiative.

Comment

o ~~~~~

my PC is PII233+224MB ram~

Will run XP well?~~~

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X