Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you charge or are planning to charge for membership for your site..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you charge or are planning to charge for membership for your site..

share the details!

What's the topic of your board?

What do you provide in your board?

Why do you charge or are considering charging?

What's the gender & age range of your board?

Do you make it mandatory for everyone who joins to pay for a membership?

Do you do anythign special/extra for the paying members, if paying is optional? If so, what?

For my own FYI, I am running a board for women on a sensitive topic, and I am planning on charging just to pay for site costs - I could pay out of my own pocket when it was $40 a month, but now it's gone to $100 a month for bandwidth, hosting and storage space, along with fees for chat room, vB, and other misc. costs, and I don't want to put up 3rd party ads - just wondering how everyone else does it.

$15/year for:

email address (via Hivemail)
    webspace (on request - 10MB)
    up to 1000 Private Messages
    an icon below their name
    access to a private forum

I have about 120 premium members now

Comment

$12 a year for an ad-free version of the site, 100 pm storage (vs. 50 for regular members). Actually I think that's about it. I caved on a few things. I used to let contributing members have a larger avatar (100x100 vs. 75x75), quick reply box (there's a template edit at vbulletintemplates.com for this), and multiple color styles.

I believe I have just over 70 contributing members.
      HBO Forum - Discuss Game of Thrones, True Blood, Big Love, Boardwalk Empire, and more!
      Disney Forums - Disney theme parks, vacation, entertainment, and more!
      iLoveTalk - Our general discussion forum.
      VeggieBoards - The largest and most active vegetarian forum!

Comment

is there a way to let just contributing members be able to select different color

different color styles? when you say diff color styles, is that what you are referring to, like being able to change the color scheme they view the board with?

Comment

I am thinking about eventually offering email (via hivemail), Blogging/Journaling features, and private webspace eventually. If I did so, I would charge $20.00 a year for it.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by jilly
            different color styles? when you say diff color styles, is that what you are referring to, like being able to change the color scheme they view the board with?
            Sure. Or even making a change of the entire style of the board available. You could have different colors, page layouts, logos, everything .

We're considering some sort of an optional paid membership, but our audience is largely male teenagers so there isn't a huge source of expendable income. Another popular related site went "Premium" with extra articles, no ads for subscribers and private forums. There was a huge backlash against their site on our membership - no one wants to have to pay to get stuff .
            MTG Salvation.com | Forums

Comment

I've found many people are quite keen on it - even had some apologise for not becoming premium members sooner! I've had about 5 sign up this week, which is a nice little infusion of cash.

Comment

I have a women's medical website, on a sensitive topic. On the net for 5+ years, the site costs between $1,000 - $2,000 a month in hosting fees, tech support, web dev costs, sysadmin, bandwidth, etc. (costs flunctuate depending if something needs fixing or needs upgrading etc) basic hardware/software costs. Human help in the office has been added so I can maintain my "real" job outside the house without spending all hours of the day packaging, mailing, answering email which costs even more.

I have different ways to earn money to pay for this humongous project:

online store sales for merchandise targeted to our niche including a few books I have written on the topic
                google ads
                voluntary membership
                Other corp/company sponsorships...targeting our niche.

The voluntary membership costs 25.00 per year.
                Benefits include:
                avatar use (registered members don't get avatars)
                photopost gallery use (registered members can look but can't use the photopost member gallery)
                special forums
                ability to use our integrated postcard system to send postcards (registered members can't use the system)
                Extra member badges (we calll jewelry since gals love jewelry )

All in all though...the memberships do not pay for the site. Its the combination of income that does it for us. We get probably about 2-3 voluntary subscribers per day...out of 50 new registrations per day. (And our members can go back and upgrade their membership anytime.)

HTH.
                Last edited by Kathy; Thu 8 Jan '04, 12:39pm. Reason: to clarify...
                Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

Just be carefull...

http://www2.vbulletin.com/forum/show...=subscriptions

Comment

Originally posted by 0ptima
                    Did you read that thread? There are correct and incorrect ways of doing these things. That thread is the best example of an incorrect way.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Just don't force members to subscribe. Always make it a premium option.

Comment

how would I make changing styles an option for premium subscribers?

it's probably something to do with those mysterious conditionals that I dont quite understand yet

as for the paid memberships, I guess I'll have to walk a fine line between not offending and upsetting current or new members who couldnt afford to donate money to have a premiuim account, and making the premium account attractive enough to encourage users to sign up, and help the site..

Comment

Hey Kathy....

what is photopost?

is your integrated postcard system a vb hack?

and when you say membership badges, what does that mean?

Comment

Photopost is a photo software that integrates with vbulletin. Its for member galleries. INdividual member galleries, community topic galleries. Member badges we created ourselves.

Members can earn/purchase member badges for various things. On our 5th birthday this past summer, we had a member badge for birthday gifts. Limited time purchase for this badge...5.00+ gift to the site and they get a little icon of a birthday gift that goes under their username.

Other member badges are for subscribers, if they purchased a subsciption for another member (scholarhips) they get a different member badges. The members collect them. They are fun, visible way of showing they support the site. we created the notion of member badges and then had a web dev who is a genius with vb script to customize our boards to make it all work.
                            Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

Originally posted by jilly
                              it's probably something to do with those mysterious conditionals that I dont quite understand yet
                              Oops, I thought there was an option for determining whether users can switch templates by user group, but it's actually a global switch for everyone .

It's still possible to do this and yes, one way would be through template conditionals or possibly through direct editing of the php code (or in the PHP code include templates). I'm sorry, but someone else will need to give you instructions on how to do this right now because I'm still getting used to vB3, myself.
                              MTG Salvation.com | Forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X