No announcement yet.

Scorpion!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That blows man. Did they say anything against you having a few drinks? If not, go for it! It may dull the pain.

Comment

There are lots of Scorpions down here in Florida - of course, not like in CA and AZ. The first time I saw a scorpion down here in Florida was about 5 1/2 years ago, when I lived up in Jacksonville. There was one climbing up my bedroom wall - and it wasn't small - it was at least 6 inches long from head to tail. I didn't get stung by it, but I did give it a big wallup with my shoe. lol

Comment

Take a picture of the sucker I wanna see

Comment

Originally posted by A:\
          Haha that'd be cool.

Take a picture!
          Ohh, even if you don't encase it take a picture anyway.
          "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
          "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
          Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

I live in central South Carolina, and we have quite a few here. The building I used to work in must have been a nest for them because we have seen hundreds of them over the last few years.

Comment

I grew up in West Texas and we would have the little white ones in the house all of the time. Noticed that we had more in the house on the lake and the house with a pool, so maybe the little white ones like water... Anyways, I did notice that they never came back when we got those pest deterrent sound machines...
              "A man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. He sits on a hot stove for a minute, it's longer than any hour. That is relativity." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Here's the little guy and a web page dedicated to him - Bark Scorpion (Centroides sp):

http://www.mesavet.com/library/scorpion.htm
                Attached Files
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

If you start getting abdominal pain radiating to the back, go back to the ER. A rare side effect of scorpion stings is pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas).

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                    You must be close to my brother. He lives near 7th Street almost directly south of the radio towers on South Mountain.
                    Probably very close - I'm off 7th St just south of the radio towers as well. My house backs up to a hillside, so the buggers like to hang out there.

You were much kinder. I have a golf putter handy I use to squish 'em.
                    Talk about pets and post pictures at Talk Pets!

Comment

Pour some resin around it and make it into a belt buckle with a little metal work. Some Tequila will help the tingling in the forearm & fingers. Scorpion Belt Buckles make a Nice GiftToo.

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                      Here's the little guy and a web page dedicated to him - Bark Scorpion (Centroides sp):

http://www.mesavet.com/library/scorpion.htm
                      Thank you for Caring and Sharing,
                      SirD
                      Fear is an interesting subject.... a little fear keeps you safe ~ too much fear drives you crazy,
                      and Just The right amount of Fear ~ Makes you very HORNY...
                      :D

Comment

Originally posted by jw791
                        Probably very close - I'm off 7th St just south of the radio towers as well. My house backs up to a hillside, so the buggers like to hang out there.

You were much kinder. I have a golf putter handy I use to squish 'em.
                        Not really as kind when you think about it though, what with encasing it in amber and all...
                        "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
                        "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
                        Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

Is that an albino scorpion

Side note: you keep saying sucker mr ste(tee)
                          Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

We have those little white scorps here in Florida too, they sting like a bee. Once a few years back I looked down at my speedometer to check my speed in the car and one was riding the speedometer needle. I'd never seen one being from up north so I was convinced he was gonna come out go up my leg and kill me. lol A local imformed me they don't kill though. hehe

We have black widow spiders too, but the lizards must eat um, we see more lizards then insects in the house.
                            Computer Help Forum
                            An informed rider makes their first destination the motorcycle forum at rider info.

Comment

Originally posted by noppid
                              We have those little white scorps here in Florida too, they sting like a bee. Once a few years back I looked down at my speedometer to check my speed in the car and one was riding the speedometer needle. I'd never seen one being from up north so I was convinced he was gonna come out go up my leg and kill me. lol A local imformed me they don't kill though. hehe

We have black widow spiders too, but the lizards must eat um, we see more lizards then insects in the house.
                              That is hilarious... When I was little and first saw the little white scorpions in the house, I used to think the same thing and would trip out... My grandpa used to tell me these horror stories about venomous creatures, and would show me the pics in his books of the worst case scenarios, and such (of course at the time, I didn't know they were worst case scenarios, and now I am just a huge pessimist)... I think in West Texas we had black widows, brown recluses, rattle snakes, and cottonmouths (among others, or atleast according to my dear old grandpa). To this day if I see a spider or a snake I freak, although I toned down a bit after I was actually bitten by a brown recluse and it was no where near as bad as the pics the grandpa used to show me... After seeing my stepdad bit by one of the little white scorpions and no fatal reactions, I am okay with them...

Steve, you still doing okay? Back to normal, still in pain, or worse?
                              Last edited by Princess Nikida; Mon 5 Jan '04, 8:32pm. Reason: spelling
                              "A man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. He sits on a hot stove for a minute, it's longer than any hour. That is relativity." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

My little friend is a Bark Scorpion, not a white one. For the link I posted:

There are many species of scorpions in Arizona that sting both humans and pets yearly. The stings are generally as painful as a bee or wasp sting. The sting of the Bark Scorpion (Centroides sp) however, packs a more severe component called a neurotoxin. Stings by this scorpion can result in severe medical consequences and even death in small children and in your pets. This scorpion is small (1 to 3 inches) white / tan to brown, with very thin pinchers.

The first few hours after the sting I would get several very sharp pains in my thumb and hand every few mintues or so. But they would quickly subside. After about 8 hours the sharp pains stopped, but my hand and thump were very sensitive and the slightest touch would be unconfortable. I also had a tingling sensation extending all the way up to my elbow. This was very similar to the feeling you have when a muscle has fallen 'asleep' and is just waking. The difference was that it was constant.

When I woke this morning the sensation had retreated halfway up my arm and about 30 hours after the bite it was limited tio just the thumb. Now about 34 hours later all that's left is a little numbness aroung the location of the sting.

Given how venomous this little guy is it could have been a lot worse.
                                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X