Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to copyright your forum / site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to copyright your forum / site?

I'm new to this, and am wondering if it's possible? How would I go about doing this?

Your site is automatically copyrighted (at least in the US) from the moment it's created. You can apply for copyright for additional protection, but technically it's not necessary.

There are exceptions (for instance, you probably don't own the copyright to forum posts), but your site is copyrighted already.

Comment

The site and forums itself can be copyrighted, which includes images, general layout of content, and some of the content itself. The owner has no rights to user information or posts made by a user.

Basically to copyright all you have to do is pop a copyright notice in the bottom.
      "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
      "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
      Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

Basically to copyright all you have to do is pop a copyright notice in the bottom.
        That's not true; you don't even have to do that. The copyright notice isn't even necessary in a lot of countries (though it's still recommended).

Comment

Hm I actually had the Edit window open and added that in, but seeing as it's not there I must've navigated away before submitting.
          "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
          "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Comment

Originally posted by ogden2k
            I'm new to this, and am wondering if it's possible? How would I go about doing this?
            I went ahead and filed a Trademark on my logo when I placed it on the site. A Trademark registration (while also not necessary like the copyright) will go a long way in proving your pre-existing work.

Here is some great info-

http://www.law.cornell.edu/topics/trademark.html

http://www.uspto.gov/

I didnt use a lawyer but if you have a hard time getting through the USPTO.gov site then you might consider forking over the extra $$.

Hope this helps,

-Jason
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CeleronXT
              The owner has no rights to user information or posts made by a user.
              Be careful, you might not own that information, but you definatly have obligations about that information.

In Australia, the owner of the site is the one that gets chased, not the poster.

Comment

What I mean is certain users here think that they have the right to take a user's information and do with it what they please, against their will.

Comment

In the UK all you have to do is prove what date you created the site.

I read a suggestions somewhere to easily prove when your site was created: just burn it to CD or something, and mail it to yourself, and leave it unopened.

That was if someone accuses you of something, you have an unopened envelope with the postage date on and your untouched content inside.

Comment

Originally posted by CeleronXT
                    The owner has no rights to user information or posts made by a user.
                    Umm... technically incorrect, I'm afraid. Unless specifically stated otherwise, all information posted on your forum legally becomes your property and you are directly responsible for it in court (if necessary), just as if you were a publisher. The same applies to user information (name, email address etc.) except as otherwise stated in the privacy policy for your site. Waived liability is not automatic; it has to be backed up with something else.
                    "I can't seem to bring myself to say, 'Well, I guess I'll be toddling along.'
                    It isn't that I can't toddle. It's that I can't guess I'll toddle."

--Robert Benchley (1889-1945)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X