FBI/DDoS Attacks are NOW ON MY NERVES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raz Meister
    How accurate is your evidence? Maybe that is the reason they are not proceeding??
    Very accurate. And even if it weren't, this does not excuse the fact that the FBI refuses to return ANY phone calls or emails about this attack. Apparently they are too busy reading the private emails and checking the video rental habits of law-abiding citizens to worry about any real crime.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Hm. :-/ I still think it'd be much simpler to just give me the address.. *grips bat tighter*

Anyway, you mentioned the local police not being very cooperative.. I'd venture to guess maybe this person is in

Code:
      Riyadh, Ar-riyad (administrative Region), Al-wusta (region), Saudi Arabia
      ..? (If that actually happens to be true, someone PM meh.. I have a wild suspicion that I might have something O_o)
      Last edited by CeleronXT; Fri 2 Jan '04, 6:31pm.
      "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
      "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
      Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

If you guys read the grc link, you would see grc.com tried the same thing and the refuse to do anything that does less then $5,000 in damage, and even then they put the guy at the bottom of the list, since it costs $200,000 to put someone on trial, and since this kid is under 18 most likely, they will probably just talk to his parents.

*Note: I'm just going off what GRC said, i have no idea how the FBI works, but i assume this is true since it would make sense
        Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

grcsucks

I read the grcsucks page. The raw sockets is justs a single issue that I can only half agree on. The overall statement that I made about windows XP being a hole is accurate. As a certified tech with 15 years of experience working for various computer companies, a majority of the the tech work (when I did that part of it) was disinfecting windows boxes (as of the oncoming of windows anyhow). I only wish I had packaged up all the trojans I've removed. I could have sent them off to someone like Steve at grc to dissect.

" My computer is slow" --- You have 3 viruses and 4 trojans that could just explain it.
          " I don;t know what happened, I started getting so many win errors" --- Hmmm. Might be the sub7 or the CIH.
          " My hard drive is making a huge racket" ---- Whoops.
          Last edited by Hooper; Sat 3 Jan '04, 5:21am.

Comment

Really we can't blame MS for all the hole issues. Linux maybe better but that might only be because few people use it and bad people don't try to crack those machines as much as they do windows because it would be a waste of there time.

I honestly believe that if everyone left Windows for Linux or any other operating system we would have the same problems that we do now maybe not as many but the number of problems would diffently jump for Linux.
            Surrix.net: Computer help forums/articles

The person in my avatar is Elisha Cuthbert she plays on Fox's 24

Comment

Originally posted by Surrix
              Really we can't blame MS for all the hole issues. Linux maybe better but that might only be because few people use it and bad people don't try to crack those machines as much as they do windows because it would be a waste of there time.

I honestly believe that if everyone left Windows for Linux or any other operating system we would have the same problems that we do now maybe not as many but the number of problems would diffently jump for Linux.
              I completely disagree. Even from a technical view you cannot compare windows to linux. If what you say in the second part of your opinion was true, I assure you the open source world would come to the rescue and fix the issues within hours. It's happened before, it still happens, and this is how it has worked out. You'll find out that a majority of the security issues with linux is packages. In other words not the kernel. Unlike windows where the kernel itself (dos derivative/NT derived) is a major security hole that runs on errors.

Windows is built upon unsecure technical specifications. Linux is not. No room here for the topic... It's in fact a bit off topic, nevertheless the reason for the issues here at vbulletin.com.

Microsoft is responsible in every fashion of the word.

Ps. I don't want to make this a windows/linux debate either. There are plenty of those. My Windows XP Pro CD is in a cardboard box in the closet where it will remain for the rest of my life. Never again.
              Last edited by Hooper; Fri 9 Jan '04, 4:34am.

Comment

I have a point about the $5,000 dollar issue. This is just theroretical here... Who can prove how much it really affect them? No one can really say, not even Microsoft! If you take $5000. It would take less than 32 people wanting to purchase full vB licenses to make the $5000. This does not even include man hours spent in order to stop this. What about how this affects other peoples sites. If I can't download the update to fix my site, it affects productivity at my site, which can cost me money. Take all the vB owners out there, and this now comes to MUCH more than $5000!

Comment

I would say that $5000 in damage has been done, at least. The number of lost sales during downtime coupled with the lost development time trying to ward off the attacks probably easily adds up to $5000. Not to mention the damage done to the thousands(?) of zombie computers.
                  "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
                  "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Comment

Well, also this has sucked up vBulletin's server bandwidth, which may be quite alot, since they must get premium bandwidth.

Then they had to call up tech and pay for them to block some ips, ect, ect
                    Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

Hm yes, especially considering the usual extravagant labor costs of webhosts.

Also there is the cost of technicians to spend countless hours repairing and restoring zombie PCs in countries possibly all over the world. Of course this does not come at the cost of Jelsoft, but it is still part of the overall damage cost.

On the other hand of course maybe these people still do not know of their computer's breached security.

Comment

Originally posted by dynamite
                        I have a point about the $5,000 dollar issue. This is just theroretical here... Who can prove how much it really affect them? No one can really say, not even Microsoft! If you take $5000. It would take less than 32 people wanting to purchase full vB licenses to make the $5000. This does not even include man hours spent in order to stop this. What about how this affects other peoples sites. If I can't download the update to fix my site, it affects productivity at my site, which can cost me money. Take all the vB owners out there, and this now comes to MUCH more than $5000!
                        if they sell 30 copies within a couple of days they must be very rich by now

Comment

Originally posted by Kier
                          Not sure that this guy's local police station would be overly cooperative.
                          im sure there is some sort of code in vbulletin to let all the webservers running vbulletin attacking an ip
                          Originally Posted by Zachery
                          John originally presented vBulletin to Infopop, they didn't take it, so he took it and sold it

Originally Posted by Martin
                          We had to do a lot of arm twisting to get him to do it, though. I would imagine he still hates us.

Comment

Originally posted by _| () R | Z
                            im sure there is some sort of code in vbulletin to let all the webservers running vbulletin attacking an ip
                            Jelsoft would run the web if that were so. :P They could pound everyone out of their way with that kind of power.

Comment

Wish they would stop.
                              Shane
                              CIO, FrakMedia.net
                              Director of Information, BattlestarForum.com

Comment

Originally posted by CeleronXT
                                Jelsoft would run the web if that were so. :P They could pound everyone out of their way with that kind of power.
                                yeah its scary actually; lets pretend that john is actually a mad scientist or something and vbulletin is just a project to take over the internet. he creates a forum software, puts in a code that when ever he likes he gets control of all the servers...............

/me wakes up out of a bad dream
                                Originally Posted by Zachery
                                John originally presented vBulletin to Infopop, they didn't take it, so he took it and sold it

Originally Posted by Martin
                                We had to do a lot of arm twisting to get him to do it, though. I would imagine he still hates us.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X