Best C++ Books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best C++ Books?

I've decided that I want to retry learning C++. I have SAMS's C++ in 24 Hours, but it sucks. It seems to be difficult to find the really good books these days. I went through 2 PHP books before coming to the third one that actually did a good job of teaching me it. Has anyone had any personal experience with any good ones? (I'd assume there have to be some people here who know C++, right? )
    "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
    "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
    Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

The 21 day book only teachs you about the MFC classes which doesn't even begin to grasps what c++ is all about. I would have to recommend the Visual C++ 6.0 for Dummies book it may not seem like you are making anything but you are really getting what c++ is all about instead of what MFC is all about.
    Surrix.net: Computer help forums/articles

The person in my avatar is Elisha Cuthbert she plays on Fox's 24

Comment

Originally posted by Surrix
      The 21 day book only teachs you about the MFC classes which doesn't even begin to grasps what c++ is all about. I would have to recommend the Visual C++ 6.0 for Dummies book it may not seem like you are making anything but you are really getting what c++ is all about instead of what MFC is all about.
      So would that be like a non-hands-on book?
      "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
      "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Comment

What do you mean by non-hands-on? The dummies book gives you all kinds of programs to code and examples and I even believe it comes with a CD.

C++ without the MFC classes is really just a dos prompt to put it simply. In the class I'm taking we don't use the MFC classes we use IOSTREAM to output and take input though a dos prompt window.

If you really want to think about it most games do not use the MFC classes and do not even use the dialog boxes and want not they make there own GUI. As for everything else it all really depends I believe anything that comes from Microsoft is made using the MFC classes but such things as Mozilla uses Gecko and Gaim uses GTK both of which can create "Windows" (read: dialog boxes) inside of Windows (read: The OS).

Comment

Oh, when you said that it may seem like you're not making anything, I thought you were saying there wasn't really any coding being done.

Anyway, is there anything that would cover something using MFC, but would still teach you the C++ (as you say this book doesn't really..)?

Comment

Originally posted by CeleronXT
            I've decided that I want to retry learning C++. I have SAMS's C++ in 24 Hours, but it sucks. It seems to be difficult to find the really good books these days. I went through 2 PHP books before coming to the third one that actually did a good job of teaching me it. Has anyone had any personal experience with any good ones? (I'd assume there have to be some people here who know C++, right? )
            Provided you know what programming is (ex. you knwo your way around in another language, be it php/java/vb/etc) I'd highly recommend C++ Primer by Lippman and Lajole. Haen't read the latest edition (4th), but 3rd is right on the dot.

Comment

Originally posted by okrogius
              Provided you know what programming is (ex. you knwo your way around in another language, be it php/java/vb/etc) I'd highly recommend C++ Primer by Lippman and Lajole. Haen't read the latest edition (4th), but 3rd is right on the dot.
              Thanks, I'll look into that. I know my way around PHP pretty well.

Comment

My first C++ Was the Dummies C++ Book That'll get you introduced well to C++. And you can go on from there.
                http://img66.exs.cx/img66/4535/astgmail.gif

Comment

What platform(s) do you want to dev on ?
                  I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

C++ is getting to be a little confusing due to how "strictly" typed it is. I liked how loose PHP was.
                    Originally posted by Jerry
                    What platform(s) do you want to dev on ?
                    Mostly Windows (2000/XP probably), I think.

Comment

Originally posted by CeleronXT
                      C++ is getting to be a little confusing due to how "strictly" typed it is. I liked how loose PHP was.
                      Mostly Windows (2000/XP probably), I think.
                      Horses for courses.

And reason for C++ over Java ?
                      I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry
                        Horses for courses.

And reason for C++ over Java ?
                        C++ is more powerful than java being described as the lowest level high level language. Mainly because c++ allows the use of pointers to memory locations etc whereas java does not. Also i'm sure someone will bring up that c++ and c for that matter compiles code into machine dependant object code meaning that the compiled program will only work for that kind of computer system but java is universal; however you need java installed on your system to run the "java program" command.

Though when im coding I prefer java unless c++ is needed I think its easier... Anyone else agree?
                        Last edited by Liquid-Host.net; Tue 23rd Dec '03, 11:39am.

Comment

Most games are programed in C++ and C. That is why I choose C++ over Java although it seems the AP college tests and change for the Computer Science corse to use Java instead of C++ which is kind of interesting.

Also I have noticed that Java is kind of slow so if you don't need the universality of Java why use it.

Side note the Zend IDE for PHP runs Java and I have noticed it runs really slow. So that is where I'm coming from.

Comment

Originally posted by Liquid-Host.net
                            C++ is more powerful than java being described as the lowest level high level language. Mainly because c++ allows the use of pointers to memory locations etc whereas java does not. Also i'm sure someone will bring up that c++ and c for that matter compiles code into machine dependant object code meaning that the compiled program will only work for that kind of computer system but java is universal; however you need java installed on your system to run the "java program" command.

Though when im coding I prefer java unless c++ is needed I think its easier... Anyone else agree?
                            As I said, horses for courses.

Depends on the job at hand, it is fairly pointless to say one is better than the other with out a basis for reference. If it is for game writing then yea C++ is probally the way to go, other wise for anything else where quality is more important I'd use java.

There are strenghts in both that the other hasn't got.

Also, you can complie java to native machine code.
                            Last edited by Jerry; Wed 24th Dec '03, 6:12am.
                            I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Originally posted by Surrix
                              Side note the Zend IDE for PHP runs Java and I have noticed it runs really slow. So that is where I'm coming from.
                              You can't blame the tools for how they are used.

I've written some blindly fast Java apps.
                              I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X