My New Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by djnoz
    Hmm, expensive. Have you got a big website planned? We might be getting something like that for our forums - give a few a months.
    A medium sized board, and hosting some sites for free.

Comment

I would hate to be those sites, even if you did give it to me for free.

A few days ago, you had no clue what a dedicated server was, now you rent one? Do you even know how to manage it?

Good luck to you, just a waste of money, how do you know you board will be a 'medium' sized one when you say it hasn't even opened?

Everyone says their board will be 'big', but things don't always work out the way they plan.

Just another young kid that joins the craze of wasting money, and buying the biggest and the baddest, just to learn the hard way.
      Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

Originally posted by IDN
        I would hate to be those sites, even if you did give it to me for free.

A few days ago, you had no clue what a dedicated server was, now you rent one? Do you even know how to manage it?

Good luck to you, just a waste of money, how do you know you board will be a 'medium' sized one when you say it hasn't even opened?

Everyone says their board will be 'big', but things don't always work out the way they plan.

Just another young kid that joins the craze of wasting money, and buying the biggest and the baddest, just to learn the hard way.
        You really need to learn how to control your comments some time. Even if those comments were true, they shouldn't be said in public. In my eyes, you are "Just another young kid that joins the craze" of slamming others because they feel the need to. Lay off.
        Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

Originally posted by tgillespie
          You really need to learn how to control your comments some time. Even if those comments were true, they shouldn't be said in public. In my eyes, you are "Just another young kid that joins the craze" of slamming others because they feel the need to. Lay off.
          I totally agree.
          http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/searc...nduser&u=15518 <--- that link pretty much sums it up.

Any particular reason why you write this stuff IDN?
          Last edited by djnoz; Sat 20 Dec '03, 7:36am.
          Matt
          Avatar Generator - The ultimate avatar and banner generation tool. It's a Google Image search mashup.
          Christian Gaming - A forum for Christians who like video games.

Comment

Originally posted by djnoz
            Any particular reason why you write this stuff IDN?
            He is sexually frustrated, as it is getting harder and harder to groom young boys in the internet these days...

Comment

Lay off the personal attacks.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
              Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

You might want to add a second hard drive for backup reasons.

If you want any help with your server, just let me know, and I can help you out. I do this kind of stuff for a living And I'll do it for free.

PM me if you're interested.

Comment

Congratulation on your new server!!! I just recently got one for my site so I know the feeling.

I am paying $129. And it's a Pentium 4, 2.0GHz, 512MB, 80GB HD and 700GB Bandwidth. The box is running Win2003 Standard.
                  WWW.CARBABEFORUM.COM

Comment

IDN may be harsh in his language but he might have a point.

Dedicated servers should only be used if your site can't fit on a shared server. And there is nothing stopping you from moving to a dedicated server once you outgrow the shared server.

But if you've got the money....more power to you...
                    Raz - KMC Forums

Comment

Come on everyone lay off IDN, he's just a little frustrated being the only kid on his block not to reach puberty yet .*sarcasm*...

Rockergrrl, will PM you.

Congradulations to you Tuan, are you by anychance tawainese ?

What is 'RAZ' and when is it coming @ RAZ ?

Comment

Originally posted by Raz Meister
                        IDN may be harsh in his language but he might have a point.

Dedicated servers should only be used if your site can't fit on a shared server. And there is nothing stopping you from moving to a dedicated server once you outgrow the shared server.

But if you've got the money....more power to you...
                        I'll have to disagree with this statement.

I have a dedicated server and am no where in need of the space or the bandwidth it provides. In fact my sites could fit in less than 50 megabytes of space currently.

However, shared hosting limits what you can do with a server. I wanted remote MySQL connections, I wanted the ability to run MOOs, MUDs and MUSHes on the machine. I wanted to be able to run whatever software I wished instead of being railroaded into a package chosen by some hosting provider. In short, I wanted the freedom a dedicated machine provides. That alone is more important to me than costs or the ease of a Shared Server.

So for you, a dedicated server is not necessary until you outgrow your shared hosting. Other people have different priorities.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Like I said, if money is not a bother then go for it.

The advice (although obvious to most) was for people on a tight budget, or just want to save money. I assume f-a_org falls under that category as I remember he/she asking for a definition of what a dedicated server was so he/she could explain it to daddy...
                          Raz - KMC Forums

Comment

If you don't like how i say things, put me on your ignore list. It's there for a reason.

I don't sugar coat anything and i tell it as how i see it.
                            Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

I'd definately agree with Wayne Luke on this. To avoid being hackbait though, I'd be making myself really comfortable with server administration on a home test box before making the investment. Even if there's nothing on your server yet, you'll probably be blamed if someone gets shell access on your box and uses it for shady purposes...
                              Matt
                              Avatar Generator - The ultimate avatar and banner generation tool. It's a Google Image search mashup.
                              Christian Gaming - A forum for Christians who like video games.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                                I'll have to disagree with this statement.

I have a dedicated server and am no where in need of the space or the bandwidth it provides. In fact my sites could fit in less than 50 megabytes of space currently.

However, shared hosting limits what you can do with a server. I wanted remote MySQL connections, I wanted the ability to run MOOs, MUDs and MUSHes on the machine. I wanted to be able to run whatever software I wished instead of being railroaded into a package chosen by some hosting provider. In short, I wanted the freedom a dedicated machine provides. That alone is more important to me than costs or the ease of a Shared Server.

So for you, a dedicated server is not necessary until you outgrow your shared hosting. Other people have different priorities.
                                True, but do you think he's going to be using any of that?
                                "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
                                "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
                                Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X