My New Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New Server

My new dedicated server should be up in 24-72 hours, im kind of happy.

Stats are

350 gigs data transfer
    8 IP's (justified)
    Standard system installed with RedHat Linux 9.0 or Choice of OS
    Celeron 1.7 GHZ
    512 MB RAM
    40 GB Hard Drive
    24X7X365 Network Monitoring
    Rack and power included
    99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    MRTG Graphs

For 99.00 a month 0setup, and I added 20.00 for Cpanel, and I added 60 gb seagate drive.
    so it's 129 a month. is that a good deal ? (un-managed, plan to read up on managing a server on the net and post on forums and hopefully be a self-taught learner like I was with the piano.)

Good luck with the script kiddies!
    Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

Script kiddies, I used to hang out with some of them.

I thought about becoming a hacker once, but a good one.

Comment

What do hackers have to do with script kiddies?

Comment

Nothing really, JSAF.

Comment

Originally posted by f-a_org
            I thought about becoming a hacker once, but a good one.
            A "good" one?
            Yet another term that's misused quite often..

So many people mix and match the terms Hackers & Crackers...There is a big difference between the two.

Anyway, nice server specs
            Webmaster / Administrator
            www.MegaGames.com
            www.MGForums.com

Comment

Originally posted by Vile
              A "good" one?
              Yet another term that's misused quite often..

So many people mix and match the terms Hackers & Crackers...There is a big difference between the two.

Anyway, nice server specs
              Actually, how did I mis-use the term ?
              I could say I believe in the 'evil' god and one would probably correct me and say the devil or satan when I mean the christian god who has no name really o.O?

But anyway thanks

Comment

Actually, how did I mis-use the term ?
                I could say I believe in the 'evil' god and one would probably correct me and say the devil or satan when I mean the christian god who has no name really o.O?

But anyway thanks
                Nothing major, but as far as I know, (correct me if I'm wrong) "hackers" are usually the "good" ones in most cases, and they do what they do just for the fun of it, and mean no actual harm. "Crackers" are the ones that try to do bad things intentionally, try to cause damage, steal information, etc.
                www.MegaGames.com
                www.MGForums.com

Comment

Not really Vile.

Hackers are meerely coders. They edit programs to better fit their purposes. This term is old, and never meant people who break into systems. Hackers are not "good crackers", despite the term white hat and black hat.

The media just used the terms hackers and crackers in the same way, and thats how it is misused today. This is what I meant by my first post, when I said that script kiddie shave nothing to do with hackers.

Comment

Originally posted by UHN_ED
                    Not really Vile.

Hackers are meerely coders. They edit programs to better fit their purposes. This term is old, and never meant people who break into systems. Hackers are not "good crackers", despite the term white hat and black hat.

The media just used the terms hackers and crackers in the same way, and thats how it is misused today. This is what I meant by my first post, when I said that script kiddie shave nothing to do with hackers.
                    The media is just filled with people who are completly clueless, so yeah, no doubt they are mostly the ones who use the terms interchangeably.

www.MegaGames.com
                    www.MGForums.com

Comment

My new dedicated server should be up in 24-72 hours, im kind of happy.

Stats are

[/color][/size][/b]
                      For 99.00 a month 0setup, and I added 20.00 for Cpanel, and I added 60 gb seagate drive.
                      so it's 129 a month. is that a good deal ? (un-managed, plan to read up on managing a server on the net and post on forums and hopefully be a self-taught learner like I was with the piano.)
                      Ahh I see you've figured out what the dedicated server is.
                      "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
                      "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
                      Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

Yeah, it's a computer dedicated to a task, in my case 'Hosting my forum'.

I've advertised on my first site, woot woot

Comment

Originally posted by CeleronXT
                          Ahh I see you've figured out what the dedicated server is.
                          priceless
                          Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

You got that right

Comment

Hmm, expensive. Have you got a big website planned? We might be getting something like that for our forums - give a few a months.
                              Matt
                              Avatar Generator - The ultimate avatar and banner generation tool. It's a Google Image search mashup.
                              Christian Gaming - A forum for Christians who like video games.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X