Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ehh.. At A Risk

Hey,

Not sure where this would go.. but I try here..

I have a forum and it's doing good, better then I thought it would do in the first few months.. but now the forum is eating bandwidth, and the bills are gonna hit hard..

How do you handle it when your forum gets big and the bills need paid

You could try removing all images and replacing them with text... Depending on how your members feel about the forum, they may make a donation... I wouldn't push that idea too much though...

Comment

I've heard Google AdSense is quite good for bringing in a little income, could help with those bills.

Comment

You could open a VIP Section to the forum. Get members to donate a small amount for a year and receive VIP Member status and permissions for that year, including no ads etc.

Might work.

Comment

In the past (and again within the next month), my board offered hosting to compensate for the costs of the vB itself and monthly server payments. It worked quite well. If you want to try it, I suggest making it known that the money earned is contributed to keeping the site in existence and not for self-profit. Throw in a banner exchange with your hostees and you've got a mutually beneficial deal. 8)
          http://www.headforum.com/images/headvbcom.gif

Comment

How much do you imagine you will go over by? If its a few hundred MBs then I would take steps to reduce bandwidth. Such as CSS, image size reduction, and redundant template information. If you are going to be over by quite a bit, upgrade packages or move to a different host. If you have any questions about bandwidth reduction, just ask.
            Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

Originally posted by exasko
              I have a forum
              I've actually seen your site, and it was very moving. I know it's not aimed at me, as I'm older than everyone else there, but I could still relate to everything that was said.

Could you possibly get in touch via PM, and tell me how much space and bandwidth you are currently using, and how much your bills are? If I can help at all, I would like to.

Thanks, and good luck

Comment

aww thanks..

Comment

May I ask which site it is?

Comment

you could setup store CSS as files as the users will cache them and it will recude page file size quite abit

@ Beorn,

if you want forumid/threadid/userid/perpage/postid/eventid/announcementid/calendarid/ its just a template change ;D

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X