Would You Be Angry....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would You Be Angry....?

Recently, one of my old members faked his own death, and I went along with it because he said he'd make me a new image for the header of Utopia News Pro. He never made the image, but all along he's been trying to make me look bad by making a new username and making it very obvious who he was. I always had to clean up after this idiocy. Finally yesterday I just openly admitted who he was because he kept causing me so many problems. Anyway, right after that, he started trying to convince one of the current supermods to go on a mass banning spree. I was extremely pissed and told him all he knew how to do was cause problems. (Important sentence >_>) He was really pissed and told me that I should say sorry for that, because it's not true at all.

Here's a little extra background information on him: a long time ago he was a supermod and he mass pruned every thread older than 1 day old, just to be funny.

He thinks that I appreciate him "stirring things up" to make things more exciting. I've told him that many times. I told him that if he's bored there, he should leave, but he still takes it upon himself to screw things up. Yet he still thinks I appreciate it. O_o

Don't I have every right to be mad?
    "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
    "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
    Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Just ban..
    Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

Agreed, I had an ass like that once and I eventually banned his entire IP block from the actual server to get rid of him. Bad practice but if he is dial up nothing much you can do.
      sigpic

Comment

When I was working at a larger board, we had someone decide he was tupac and was going to rise from the dead or some such nonesense. When he revealed his "fun" little game, alot of people were hurt. People who he didn't bother to tell about his bit of "fun" were actually crying that he died.

Needless to say, alot of people were pissed off. We now ban any account which we hear the owner of has died as a matter of course, weather or not it is true.

Death is not a funny thing to alot of people. People who play pretend should be banned quickly for it.

Comment

Originally posted by CeleronXT
          Recently, one of my old members faked his own death, and I went along with it because he said he'd make me a new image for the header of Utopia News Pro. He never made the image, but all along he's been trying to make me look bad by making a new username and making it very obvious who he was. I always had to clean up after this idiocy. Finally yesterday I just openly admitted who he was because he kept causing me so many problems. Anyway, right after that, he started trying to convince one of the current supermods to go on a mass banning spree. I was extremely pissed and told him all he knew how to do was cause problems. (Important sentence >_>) He was really pissed and told me that I should say sorry for that, because it's not true at all.

Here's a little extra background information on him: a long time ago he was a supermod and he mass pruned every thread older than 1 day old, just to be funny.

He thinks that I appreciate him "stirring things up" to make things more exciting. I've told him that many times. I told him that if he's bored there, he should leave, but he still takes it upon himself to screw things up. Yet he still thinks I appreciate it. O_o

Don't I have every right to be mad?
          Ban his account, known emails, and ips.

Comment

Of course. Ban is your friend. If you want to be extra evil, ban his IP range in the htaccess file

http://i.ksilebo.com/ksicom_button.png
            http://i.ksilebo.com/simpli_button.png

Comment

My two cents: I think its also important to note that much of what might be a problem today could have been avoided had the situation been handled differently along the way. Of course hindsight is 20/20.

Admin management of staff (mods, supermods and other admin) for an online forum should be handled as company personnel in most cases. If you want a community to grow and be viewed by visitors as a place to return and participate, handle it responsibly, taking care of minor staff issues (nip them in the bud) to keep them from overgrowing their real issue on down the way.

Ban him.
              Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

Intresting one.
                I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Faking someone's death is the lowest of low.

That is all i have to say.

Comment

could you extend into these, Katty? This sounds interesting. I keep trying for my mods and supermods to get along well each other and they are somehow privileged to know every change in the forum before anyone, other than that I keep an eye on what they are modding via the moderator log and on how many post a day they make. I would like to hear what everybody else is doing with their mods.

Comment

First mistake was going along with this nimrod's plan to fake his death for any reason. That was just immature of him and serves as a clear indicator of how undesirable it is to have this person on your forums. But that's just hindsight for you and hopefully next time you'd avoid being party to any such schemes if someone asks you to participate.

That said... I hate drama with a passion. If a user tries to make my life any more complicated than it already is by behaving badly on my forum, I ban them in a heartbeat.

I'm not in the business of being everyone's friend or trying to cater to the whim of every wingnut that signs up for an account on my forum. You shouldn't be either. If someone tries to stir up trouble (read: drama) and you don't feel like messing with it... cut them off.

And Kathy is very right in regards to expecting your moderators and staff to conduct themselves professionally. Handling it like a business with you being the manager/owner/CEO is the way to do things.

Good luck.

Comment

Oh yes, another thing - he tried to get me to appologize to him for being "mean" and caring too much about my forums.
                        "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
                        "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
                        Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

Cause to be mad? Of course.

Cause to ban? I don't really think so. You should have (assuming you didn't) fire him completely when he mass pruned, but I think his recent actions warrant maybe a couple warnings before the banning.

I myself am not a big fan of banning unless absolutely necessary. On one hand, you can't have someone obliterating your board, but on the other, banning at will based on personal grudges is not a good idea either.

Severing too many ties may result in many people being opposed to you and your board. Every ban made will probably piss at least one other person off, and it's good to keep that number to a minimum.

Well, that's this n00b's advice. Best of luck in your endeavors.
                          http://www.headforum.com/images/headvbcom.gif

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X