Why VBB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why VBB?

I'm currently using IPB right now, But, I'm thinking of switching. But I need more details on vB. a.k.a. Someone to convince me to convert.

Well I got a vB license this past summer, and ran it with vB2. It was cool, but yeah, I still like IPB.

Anyways, today I decided to install Gamma (a fresh install, my old forums died out) and I was totally blown away by the AdminCP. The styles are a breeze (its a cinch to update the header and footer without hurting anything/anyone) and everything else is just soo customizable. For example, take the member reputation options. I love this little feature, and from the AdminCP I can customize every single thing about it. I also have paid subscriptions whereby I can have people pay to have access to certain forums, something I might utilize in the near future.

Besides that, It looks and runs great. The whole AdminCP not only looks state-of-the-art, but it runs state-of-the art. You can even run Cron jobs from your forums without ever having to mess with those icky server settings.

But anyways, that's all for now. There's more good stuff, but I'm too lazy to post it now.

Comment

first id suggest taking a look at the admin demo for vb2 and vb3's is about 5 times better

if youd like to see some screens check this post
      http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70794

vB 3 is huge upgrade in power over any of the current forum systems(vb2 ipb anything out there). its temlpate system is awsome ^^, i cant think of anything i dont like, the features currently far surpass anything out there.

just a small note its vB not vBB ;D

Comment

Yeah, we even had a semi-long discussion on it (here too)

Comment

Noone can convince you to convert, you have to do it yourself .

Comment

Originally posted by xtremeduelist
            I'm currently using IPB right now, But, I'm thinking of switching. But I need more details on vB. a.k.a. Someone to convince me to convert.
            It's really a matter of preference. If you're happy with how IPB is working out for you, there is really little reason to switch. If you are disappointed with IPB or it makes you feel that you want more, we can give you a good idea on whether you should convert or not if you tell us what you're unhappy with.
            OPEN TECH SUPPORT
            "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

There is absolutely no way my site could run on anything other than vB, and still leave me with my sanity.

vB is the most important tool I've ever used in implementing a community online. Your site won't benefit JUST because you use vB, of course, but its features and useability will certainly increase the likelihood of you being able to push your community further (IMO).

Comment

I feel you will enjoy vBulletin more because of its range variety of features and unique idea. IPB is a great product, however I feel you will enjoy vBulletin just as much, or more than IPB.
                ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                  I feel you will enjoy vBulletin more because of its range variety of features and unique idea. IPB is a great product, however I feel you will enjoy vBulletin just as much, or more than IPB.
                  I can only totally agree!

First time i used vB2 i loved it, nothing even got close. Then later on i uppgraded to vB3 and was stunned by the new features, also the gamma blew my mind away with its awsome design.

The things i like with vBulltin is that it has more and uniq features then other boards. It also have more settings in the admincp then any other board i have seen, not to forget the style / lang system that is superb.

It cant get any better i must say!

Comment

Definitely the Admin CP and (unless IPB has changed since I used it) the Mod CP. The Mod CP in PB that I used was absoloutely dreadful and I needed to hack it. I couldn't not hack it. The ease of changing templates, styles (I couldn't stand the IPB stylesheet), and access rights (such as what the Mods can do) is a huge step ahead of IPB.
                    Eyes on Final Fantasy Forums - An Online Community of Final Fantasy Fans
                    Eyes on Final Fantasy (Site) - The Most In-Depth Final Fantasy Site Online

Comment

The AdminCP is the best part of vB. Almost every single aspect of the entire program can be customized, and it's all easy to locate. The template system is far more advanced then IPB -- more organized and even conditional statements.

For me it's an easy choice, I don't know why anyone would want to run IPB instead of vBulletin. Different needs, different opinoins I guess -- all I know is that I could not run my board with IPB, I wouldn't be able to make the board work for me.

Comment

I used IPB in the past....I couldn't stand it one bit. I longed for a vBulletin because my friend Storm has one. Well, I was just blown away by all the features. I got a license over the summer and used it since. If your gonna convert to vB I'd suggest using vBulletin 3. Used it since Beta 4 and loved it. The Admin CP blown me away with all the features including the built in query runner. I don't know what words to say in order to sum up vB's Godlyness lol.

Comment

I used to use IPB as well, and I stuck up for it every chance I got when comparing IPB to vBulletin. Then I went to Cary's OnYourSideOnline forum (the one with the "free vB" contests) and won it -- after trying it, I can't even describe how much better it is.

Comment

IPB is a very good, always has been no reason to say bad things or find flaws about a good piece of software, but vB is just that much better thats it's worth the switch. Whether or not it's worth purchasing and switching in your exact situation is up to you, not really up to us.

But take a look at vB3? just imagine whats to come later , say second quarter 2004
                            MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                            Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Anyone know where I can see a demo of the vB3 admin cp?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X