Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I redesign?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Should I redesign?

    I'm putting together a design for my new webpage and I need some advice.

    My goal is to make a design that is as user friendly as possible. Anyways, I came up with a design that I thought worked but a friend of mine said it sucked.

    Heres what I have:
    http://www.diychatroom.com/index.php

    He suggested a look such as
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/
    (what hack are they using by the way to get that sidebar?)

    Anyways, what do you guys think? is my design in need of an overhaul?
    Let it fly, don't hold back.

    Thanks!
    Nathan

  • #2
    not a hack, just template mod

    Comment


    • #3
      I like how you have the tabs at the top to link to the different forums. I think this will help guide new users to what they are looking for.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Westech
        I like how you have the tabs at the top to link to the different forums. I think this will help guide new users to what they are looking for.
        Hmmmmmm, conflicting advice. Anyone else?

        Thumbs up, Thumbs down, and why

        Comment


        • #5
          there is no conflicting advice above ... sabretoothe merely said you don't need to "hack" anything - just fool around with the templates...

          IMHO, all you need to do is change the colors of your board slightly to fit your site ... since each tab on top is color-coded, you can go fancy and do some color coordination with each subforum to match the tab colors above (for example, the subforum "Electrical" will have a red color scheme since the tab menu above for Electrical is red) ... as for adding the right column like webhostingtalk, it might squeeze your forums too much for smaller resolutions, since you already have a left menu to speak of...
          OPEN TECH SUPPORT
          "Tech is our middle name!"

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Tolitz
            there is no conflicting advice above ... sabretoothe merely said you don't need to "hack" anything - just fool around with the templates...

            IMHO, all you need to do is change the colors of your board slightly to fit your site ... since each tab on top is color-coded, you can go fancy and do some color coordination with each subforum to match the tab colors above (for example, the subforum "Electrical" will have a red color scheme since the tab menu above for Electrical is red) ... as for adding the right column like webhostingtalk, it might squeeze your forums too much for smaller resolutions, since you already have a left menu to speak of...
            The conflict I was talking about is my friend who said I need to scrap the design and start over (see first post) and Westech who said he liked it.

            And I would only use the right column if I redesign.

            I personally don't think my design is THAT bad but I just wanted to get some others opinion since one person didn't like it.

            -Nathan

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by nwingate
              The conflict I was talking about is my friend who said I need to scrap the design and start over (see first post) and Westech who said he liked it.

              And I would only use the right column if I redesign.

              I personally don't think my design is THAT bad but I just wanted to get some others opinion since one person didn't like it.

              -Nathan
              Looks good in my opinion Easy to get to what you are looking for.

              Comment


              • #8
                It depends on the scene of people you are trying to gather. It looks as if your site is geared towards non computer related content, therefor you don't need a real impressive site. You just need something simple and easy. Now say your forum was technology focused, you would need something more catchy in order to grab us geek's attention.
                Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

                Comment


                • #9
                  its what you like and works for the end user -

                  your friend - made a suggestion as he did not care for it -

                  personaly i hate the cols on a board (banners 2 but a fact of life)

                  like the tabs - it works - the col - rh/lh is a personal pref . . . if they are there use the col but don't over use it - should match the board lenght but not take from the board . . . things that move and distract
                  .. . / GFXstyles certain amount of common sense is necessary to survive in this world !
                  insanity leaves you no restrictions

                  Comment

                  widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X