Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think Fast Reply in vB 3 Gamma is too complex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris M
    replied
    Hmmm...

It could possibly be the falling snow that screws it up for me, but before I put that in my header template, it still loaded quite slow...

It could possibly be my Internet settings...

I use IE 6, and have a Pentium 4 3.01GHz processor, with 1GB SD-RAM, also with XP Pro, and a 2mbit/second Broadband connection...

The loading problem only seems to arise on certain sites - vBulletin.com, DarkBlazes.com and vBulletin.org - vBulletin.nl, CoreForums.net and TheSistersThree.com all remain unaffected, as do ArtOrg.co.uk and OtCentral.com, all sites which I visit daily...

Now I know it cannot be a server issue, as CoreForums and TheSistersThree are on the same server as my site, so the only thing I can possibly think could cause it could be either my cookies, or perhaps my javascript files?

I'm not really sure...

Satan

Leave a comment:

• Arkham
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke
    I just loaded that exact page and it was done loading before I could click on the tab to watch it load.
    Only took a couple of seconds here too. (Tbird 1.4/512/XP Pro/1.5 Mb DSL).

('Had to realize that the loading animation wasn't stopping due to that stupid snow script that's running, not because the page was loading.)

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    I just loaded that exact page and it was done loading before I could click on the tab to watch it load.

Edit:

After registering it still only took about 3 seconds to load the page in entirety. This is with the WYSIWYG editor enabled. I am using a 1.5 mbit ADSL connection on an Athlon 2200+ with 512 MB of RAM and Windows XP Pro. My browser is Mozilla Firebird. I also looked at it in Internet Explorer 6.0 XPSP2 with all hotfixes and it took about 2 additional seconds to load but I think that is due to the falling snow which doesn't appear in Firebird.
    Last edited by Wayne Luke; Wed 17th Dec '03, 10:47am.

Leave a comment:

• Chris M
    replied
    I show 40 posts per page, if that is what you meant...

Wayne - http://www.darkblazes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847

One example on my own forum - It takes several seconds for the page to load with WYSIWYG enabled, about 5 seconds with Freddie's fix, and should only take 2 or 3 seconds to load in reality...

Satan

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    how many threads are you displaying at once? i always show 10 per page, which and even with a large post its never takes more than 3-4 seconds to render the page

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Where is an example of one of these pages? and what browser are you using? Honestly, I have never seen this problem with the WYSIWYG editor. I do know that Internet Explorer has problems with some more complicated pages these days.

Leave a comment:

• Chris M
    replied
    It loads slow on large threads, or threads with alot of content, like someone posting a review or short story type thing...

I'm on 2mbit/second broadband, and it still takes about 5 or 6 seconds longer to load the page with WYSIWYG enabled than with the Standard editor...

Satan

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    I would have to agree on that. I would have to say it loads a bit slowly when it comes to a very long thread though.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Originally posted by hellsatan
    Anyone found a solution to the problem Erwin raised?

Even with WYSIWYG disabled, it takes forever to load...

Satan
    Im still confused why EVERYONE says the wyiswyg loads so slowly, my gf is on 28.8 and ive loaded pages on her connection at my froum and there blazingly fast

Leave a comment:

• Kathy
    replied
    test....Ahhhh....I didn't have to click that image on sitepoint. I just could start typing. now I click that little thingee and I was sent to the bottom of the page. It *was* quick. My javascript thing works after all. I just didn't *get* the way it worked.

Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me, Wayne. Its another *duh* moment in the foggy brain department.

Leave a comment:

• Chris M
    replied
    Anyone found a solution to the problem Erwin raised?

Even with WYSIWYG disabled, it takes forever to load...

Satan

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Well for one, SitePointForums is using Beta 7 which has different javascripts. Two, they don't require a click to activate which is where the javascript comes into play. When you go to reply in the Quick Reply, you have to click on this button - .

Have you cleared your cache and downloaded new files from here? Each file can only be referenced from the site it is downloaded from in your cache. Only other issue I can think it having is if you have WYSIWYG turned on for IE on the PC in your profile but your versions of Mozilla and Safari don't support it and it will automatically kick you to the reply page to load an interface you can use properly. Personally, I have never used Safari but the browser engine it is based on is pretty crappy so not sure how many problems are caused by that.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    try clearing your cache ;D

its usualy a cached js file

Leave a comment:

• Kathy
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke
    Because your browser isn't loading all the javascript or identifying itself incorrectly so the wrong javascript is being loaded.

I use the quick reply for 90% of all posts I make and never have to load the reply page unless the javascript errors out for some reason.
    Well...the same browser works on sitepointforums.com.

I use my Mac OSX with mozilla and safari. No workee at vb.com.

At work, I use my PC with IE and no workee there either.

Both PC and Mac browsers work at sitepointforums but not at vb.com for quick reply. I have to click open a reply page to reply....

It can't be just my browser since I've tried all of mine. It can't be just mac. I have jave enabled on all of it because I use quite a bit of java on other sites.

:shrug: I dunno. Just no workee here....never has.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by Kathy
    But on vb.com, the quick reply box looks like a reply box...it just isn't functional at all. I have to click reply button, go to new reply page and type and submit.

Why? I'm not sure.
    Because your browser isn't loading all the javascript or identifying itself incorrectly so the wrong javascript is being loaded.

I use the quick reply for 90% of all posts I make and never have to load the reply page unless the javascript errors out for some reason.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X