Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think Fast Reply in vB 3 Gamma is too complex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, it does break the threading.

I love hybrid mode and it's a pain when people simply click on the last reply button when they aren't in fact replying to that post. You then have an endless tree of posts in the preview box at the top. :/

There is a bit of a learning curve granted; threading isn't something people are used to, but users can get accustomed to it, I think. I for one like the threaded mode; it offers me a bit of convenience and a different way of viewing a thread.
    http://www.statgfx.com

Comment

Originally posted by sabret00the
      should be off by default, the software should just assume you're replying to the last post.
      I think that's the whole problem, and I raised that during beta.vbulletin.com's forum days.

It should default to the FIRST post, not the last. That makes no sense. If you're posting a general reply, not to any post in particular, it's logical to attach it to the first post. That would start a new branch rather than add an irrelevant comment to other branches. If there's a particular post you want to comment on, then tick the box and it jumps down. There, all bases covered.

Doesn't really matter to me, as I think the quick-reply feature is the most pointless addition to vB3. It should've remained a hack.

Comment

I preferred it had no tie-in with the threaded view, and instead just have it as I do on my board, and have it just reply to the last post.

Seriously though, if you think its complex, you must see light switches the same way.

http://i.ksilebo.com/ksicom_button.png
        http://i.ksilebo.com/simpli_button.png

Comment

I see it as another option for great software

But I have a hack for Chens quick reply, so I find this to be built in and very helpful

Comment

Originally posted by Arkham
            I think that's the whole problem, and I raised that during beta.vbulletin.com's forum days.

It should default to the FIRST post, not the last. That makes no sense. If you're posting a general reply, not to any post in particular, it's logical to attach it to the first post. That would start a new branch rather than add an irrelevant comment to other branches. If there's a particular post you want to comment on, then tick the box and it jumps down. There, all bases covered.

Doesn't really matter to me, as I think the quick-reply feature is the most pointless addition to vB3. It should've remained a hack.
            I can agree with that. Perhaps in addition to the reply buttons on each post, there should be a more defined one below all the posts and if it were clicked a response would be made to the first post in the thread. That would also help in instances where people are not yet familliar with threaded mode since they are used to clicking a reply button at the bottom of the page. And, it would be responding appropriately to the first post in general. Even to those who are familiar with or use threaded or hybrid mode, it would offer a small convenience since after reading a thread you wouldn't have to scroll to the top to leave a general response to the thread and not to an individual post.
            http://www.statgfx.com

Comment

not at all,

i found it very genious, not at all but its just for familar user !

Comment

Originally posted by dotcomguy01
                I can agree with that. Perhaps in addition to the reply buttons on each post, there should be a more defined one below all the posts and if it were clicked a response would be made to the first post in the thread.
                What I used to do on my BBS ~1991 was have two seperate commands, Comment and Reply. I was going to do this with vB but version 3 has been tweaked enough to accomodate it.

"Comment" would be a general comment to the thread (either with or w/o quotes), and thus linked to the first post, and "Reply" would be a direct reply to that specific post (usually w/quotes).

Comment

Originally posted by Erwin
                  That's work well! Thanks.

The only problem is that it doesn't actually speed up the loading of pages - in a vB2 forum I'm able to open up new windows for different threads. In vB3, even with the WYSIWYG switched OFF I just realize, opening a new window, which requires a reloading of all elements, causes showthread to take twice as long to load - even with WYSIWYG off for Quick Reply... mmm... what else could be slowing it down?
                  I too have the same problem on my board. With quick reply off the threads load very quickly, with it on it takes ages.

Craig
                  Special Forces - Roll Of Honour - http://www.specialforcesroh.com

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                    Sounds like you are using older Javascript files and haven't performed a hard refresh (CTRL-F5 in most Windows Browsers) to flush the old obsolete files out of your cache.
                    Nopers...not it at all....

WHen I finish reading the thread and I want to reply, the quick reply box at the bottom of the page doesn't work. I can't type in it...and click reply.

At sitepointforums, I read the thread and scroll to the quick reply and can type in that box and click reply. That is "quick reply" to me. Easy to type into, no new page required to reply.

But on vb.com, the quick reply box looks like a reply box...it just isn't functional at all. I have to click reply button, go to new reply page and type and submit.

Why? I'm not sure.
                    Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

Threading purposes for one and two, you can disable that feature in the vB3 AdminCP Options.
                      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Kathy
                        But on vb.com, the quick reply box looks like a reply box...it just isn't functional at all. I have to click reply button, go to new reply page and type and submit.

Why? I'm not sure.
                        Because your browser isn't loading all the javascript or identifying itself incorrectly so the wrong javascript is being loaded.

I use the quick reply for 90% of all posts I make and never have to load the reply page unless the javascript errors out for some reason.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                          Because your browser isn't loading all the javascript or identifying itself incorrectly so the wrong javascript is being loaded.

I use the quick reply for 90% of all posts I make and never have to load the reply page unless the javascript errors out for some reason.
                          Well...the same browser works on sitepointforums.com.

I use my Mac OSX with mozilla and safari. No workee at vb.com.

At work, I use my PC with IE and no workee there either.

Both PC and Mac browsers work at sitepointforums but not at vb.com for quick reply. I have to click open a reply page to reply....

It can't be just my browser since I've tried all of mine. It can't be just mac. I have jave enabled on all of it because I use quite a bit of java on other sites.

:shrug: I dunno. Just no workee here....never has.
                          Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

try clearing your cache ;D

its usualy a cached js file

Comment

Well for one, SitePointForums is using Beta 7 which has different javascripts. Two, they don't require a click to activate which is where the javascript comes into play. When you go to reply in the Quick Reply, you have to click on this button - .

Have you cleared your cache and downloaded new files from here? Each file can only be referenced from the site it is downloaded from in your cache. Only other issue I can think it having is if you have WYSIWYG turned on for IE on the PC in your profile but your versions of Mozilla and Safari don't support it and it will automatically kick you to the reply page to load an interface you can use properly. Personally, I have never used Safari but the browser engine it is based on is pretty crappy so not sure how many problems are caused by that.
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                              Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Anyone found a solution to the problem Erwin raised?

Even with WYSIWYG disabled, it takes forever to load...

Satan

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X