Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think Fast Reply in vB 3 Gamma is too complex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kathy
    No workee on my PC nor my Mac OSX. I then have to click a reply button...and it takes me to another page to reply. Not quick at all. LOL
    Sounds like you are using older Javascript files and haven't performed a hard refresh (CTRL-F5 in most Windows Browsers) to flush the old obsolete files out of your cache.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by noppid
      I don't care for having to click an icon to activate it. Useless function IMO.
      Okay, explain the difference in speed associated with the two ways of getting to the Quick Reply Box...

In the way it is setup here, you click on the quick reply icon and the box is focused and your browser automatically scrolls to it.

With out the click, you have to manually scroll down to the box and click in it to type.

However, since this is a Admin Option, you can set it up any way you like on your forum. The first option is actually quicker and less work for the users, especially if you are like me and display 50 posts on a page.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

May I suggest an Admin CP option to make the Quick Reply a normal text box with NO WYSIWYG and NO Javscript even though the normal reply can be WYSIWYG.

This will make showthread load up a LOT faster - more like in vB2 with the Quick Reply hack.

Comment

wow, lots of new stuff to learn about. Thanks for the tip.
          Computer Help Forum
          An informed rider makes their first destination the motorcycle forum at rider info.

Comment

Originally posted by Erwin
            May I suggest an Admin CP option to make the Quick Reply a normal text box with NO WYSIWYG and NO Javscript even though the normal reply can be WYSIWYG.

This will make showthread load up a LOT faster - more like in vB2 with the Quick Reply hack.
            Put this in your phpinclude_start template:
            PHP Code:
            if (THIS_SCRIPT == 'showthread')
            {
            $vboptions['allowvbcodebuttons'] = 0;

Comment

I think it's easy enough to use. If you want to quickly reply to someones post you click the button. If you want to reply to the thread in general chances are you're already at the end of the page. All you need to do then is click the last quick reply icon to enable the box. What's so hard about that?

Comment

Originally posted by Erwin

Also, I just expanded the Yes/No option for Quick Reply enabled to be No/Yes Standard/Yes Enhanced/Yes WYSIWYG so you can now pick what control box you want for Quick Reply to resolve the showthread page rendering time when WYSIWYG is enabled.

Comment

cool ;D

no i dont find it too complex, most of my users have no problems and a good chunk of them are aolers

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMcL
                    I think it's easy enough to use. If you want to quickly reply to someones post you click the button. If you want to reply to the thread in general chances are you're already at the end of the page. All you need to do then is click the last quick reply icon to enable the box. What's so hard about that?
                    It would be nice to have a button next to the text box to activate it instead of having to click on the icon on the last post.

Comment

Having a button next to it would defeat the whole purpose of it. The button is to get you to click for the post you are replying to, so that threaded mode is more orderly.

Comment

Originally posted by 0ptima
                        It would be nice to have a button next to the text box to activate it instead of having to click on the icon on the last post.
                        You can accomplish the same thing just by setting Require Click for Quick Reply to 'No' in the Admin CP.
                        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by sabret00the
                          should be off by default, the software should just assume you're replying to the last post.
                          Again that breaks threaded mode which is on by default, threaded mode is here to stay like it or not.

Now that I think about it, if you where replying to a thread you should be reading a post in the thread, is it really that hard to press a button to activate it?

I find a bit of humor in all of this, ive been using a 'quick quote' feture on ubb boards for some time, it was requested alot at vBulletin.org and finnaly got done. This is nearly the same thing, and gives you the same function. Yet everyone hates it because you are forced to click it

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie
                            Put this in your phpinclude_start template:
                            PHP Code:
                            if (THIS_SCRIPT == 'showthread')
                            {
                            $vboptions['allowvbcodebuttons'] = 0;

That's work well! Thanks.

The only problem is that it doesn't actually speed up the loading of pages - in a vB2 forum I'm able to open up new windows for different threads. In vB3, even with the WYSIWYG switched OFF I just realize, opening a new window, which requires a reloading of all elements, causes showthread to take twice as long to load - even with WYSIWYG off for Quick Reply... mmm... what else could be slowing it down?

Comment

I think it's fine

Comment

Originally posted by UHN_ED
                                Having a button next to it would defeat the whole purpose of it. The button is to get you to click for the post you are replying to, so that threaded mode is more orderly.
                                I understand that point, but if I am at the end of the thread and want to add my .02 cents, the button would be nice.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X