X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• merk
    replied
    Originally posted by UHN_ED
    If you are not going to buy a Compaq then do not buy a Dell, Toshiba, or any other laptop/tablet for that matter.

Compaq desktops may suck, but laptops and tablets are a completely different story. Compaq does not make the laptops and tablets that they sell. Dell does not, Toshiba does not, almost none of them do. The only exceptions are IBM and Apple, although neither of them make all of what they sell.

All these companies buy from the same group of ODMs. ODMs build the laptops and tablets and sell them to companies. It is very common to have, for example, a Compaq and a Toshiba that are actually the exact same machine.

One ODM to stay away from is Clevo, although I do not think they make tablets. Clevo sells to Sager, Prostar, and some Alienware laptops are theirs.

When shopping for laptops or tablets brand is not a primary concern. Look at a lot of reviews and go to stores to make sure you like its form factor.
    I cant agree more.

COMPAQ has had a rough time. But now compaq is owned by HP, and every HP piece of equipment ive owned, no matter how old is awsome and still running.

The Compaq Tablet PC really is awsome. The only fault i have on it is the powered pen with no pressure sensativity, but i can live without that. It meets all your requirements you lised earlier in the thread.

Leave a comment:

• Meltingfire
    replied
    Originally posted by tubedogg
    Um...he was asking about tablet PCs, not laptops.
    well i know, but the other guys started talking laptopes so i continued on that subject

Leave a comment:

• filburt1
    replied
    Brand may not affect the hardware, but it can certainly affect repairs and service. While I would never buy an extended warantee for a desktop, they are often worth it for notebooks given how expensive and proprietary the parts can be.

I definitely will not buy a Compaq, HP, or Dell (although the latter doesn't make tablets, anyway).

Leave a comment:

• UHN_ED
    replied
    If you are not going to buy a Compaq then do not buy a Dell, Toshiba, or any other laptop/tablet for that matter.

Compaq desktops may suck, but laptops and tablets are a completely different story. Compaq does not make the laptops and tablets that they sell. Dell does not, Toshiba does not, almost none of them do. The only exceptions are IBM and Apple, although neither of them make all of what they sell.

All these companies buy from the same group of ODMs. ODMs build the laptops and tablets and sell them to companies. It is very common to have, for example, a Compaq and a Toshiba that are actually the exact same machine.

One ODM to stay away from is Clevo, although I do not think they make tablets. Clevo sells to Sager, Prostar, and some Alienware laptops are theirs.

When shopping for laptops or tablets brand is not a primary concern. Look at a lot of reviews and go to stores to make sure you like its form factor.

Leave a comment:

• filburt1
    replied
    The main four features that I care about (from most important down to least):
    1. Includes a keyboard (some tablets are just LCDs with a virtual keyboard)
    2. Includes wireless
    3. Has good battery life
    4. Has a small screen (although at least a 1024x768 native resolution; I actually don't like big laptop screens)

But, at this point, I am not particurally picky.

Comments about buying refurbished/recertified?

Leave a comment:

• tubedogg
    replied
    Um...he was asking about tablet PCs, not laptops.

Leave a comment:

• Meltingfire
    replied
    The IBMs are probably the best you can get, but they are a bit ugly and expensive.
    Then i have heard bad and good about Dell, but im probably going to buy one soon.
    And if you go with Acer, please check out the Acer Ferrari, the design is SO SWEET!

I dont know what features you are looking for, or how much money you are going to spend, but what i think is most important is the battery time. And i would probably choose a laptop that runs Intel P4 M with Centrino technology.

Leave a comment:

• filburt1
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris Stewart
    I hear Toshiba makes really good ones as well. I'm about to start a research project (independent study) and Microsoft is giving us a Tablet to use since we're using .NET. I'm pretty sure we're getting a Toshiba.
    Yep, I've heard Toshiba is really good, but then again, you pay for that.

Which brings me to another question...is it safe to buy refurbished laptops/tablets? Do I have to worry about the thing falling apart when the warantee runs out?

Leave a comment:

• Ksilebo
    replied
    Originally posted by filburt1
    That's your own page. I'd rather have a third-party page.
    He's been quoting his page in like, 3 places...

Leave a comment:

• Chris Stewart
    replied
    I hear Toshiba makes really good ones as well. I'm about to start a research project (independent study) and Microsoft is giving us a Tablet to use since we're using .NET. I'm pretty sure we're getting a Toshiba.

Leave a comment:

• filburt1
    replied
    That's your own page. I'd rather have a third-party page.

Leave a comment:

• intel01
    replied
    http://www.geocities.com/intelligenc...s/business.htm

there are some links to tablet pc sellers there, you should check it out

Leave a comment:

• Ksilebo
    replied
    Originally posted by filburt1
    Sorry but I wouldn't get a Compaq even if you guys highly recommend it...
    I couldn't agree with you more. *kicks Compaq laptop sitting by desk*

Leave a comment:

• filburt1
    replied
    Originally posted by merk
    I have 2 Compaq(HP) TC1000s.

Awomse machines. the TC1100s use INTEL chips and the pen isnt a powered pen. (whereas the 1000s use a battery powered pen, pain in the ass AAAA batteries are hardly found anywhere, and is some weird cpu brand)

I highly recomend the compaq tablets. Sturdy. the tc1100 is much nicer, with a better cpu and a few more speced up specs
    Sorry but I wouldn't get a Compaq even if you guys highly recommend it...I've heard too many stories about the laptops essentially falling apart only months into their use.

(and I know I asked for recommendations )

Keep 'em coming, though.

Leave a comment:

• Ksilebo
    replied
    I only had a chance to play around with the Toshiba laptop with the swivel display. Didn't have too long to mess with it though.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X