What's the overall feedback?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the overall feedback?

What does everything think of this Gamma version? Disapointment? Impressive etc?

Personally, when i first saw it i thought it looked good, but was too plain. Once i got into looking at it i saw the drop down menus and i thought "wow" thats new! But then i looked even further into it and when your an admin and you drop down the Thread Tool it comes down in a massive list and you've gotta scroll down to see the full selection. It needs to be changed somehow, maybe come down in 2 columns. Anyway what's the general feedback about gamma?

I'm not a big fan of the new interface because it's not very compatible cross-browser. I use Mozilla and have noticed several niggly problems. As a result of this I'm freezing upgrades and will probably be using Beta 7 for a long time yet on my board.

To get the new style to fit with what users are used to, I'd have to make quite a lot of changes as well. Where it displays correctly though, it looks really nice.
    Matt
    Avatar Generator - The ultimate avatar and banner generation tool. It's a Google Image search mashup.
    Christian Gaming - A forum for Christians who like video games.

Comment

Originally posted by djnoz
      I'm not a big fan of the new interface because it's not very compatible cross-browser. I use Mozilla and have noticed several niggly problems. As a result of this I'm freezing upgrades and will probably be using Beta 7 for a long time yet on my board.

To get the new style to fit with what users are used to, I'd have to make quite a lot of changes as well. Where it displays correctly though, it looks really nice.
      They're called bugs and they're being fixed.

Comment

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58995

Comment

i hate to say it after all the hard work thats been put in but i think ill be sticking with me 2.2.9 version...the new vb3 gamma version looks too like phpbb to me n the user cp is like invision board cp...sorry

x

Comment

I'm all for functionality, customizability and efficiency... how it looks is really a shallow reason for me to not use it since I'll be changing most of the templates anyway Who here uses the default layout AND color of vBulletin 2 anyway?

I don't really think it looks like phpBB or Invision at all, I am confused as to why people say that ... as for the User CP looking like the Invision Admin CP, Invision didn't really "pioneer" left menu links in a table, so that's really an absurd observation...
            OPEN TECH SUPPORT
            "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

i honestly love 90% of Gamma im disapointed at some of the new things, the postbit is ok but i would have rather seen it done abit differntly (just few things i miss)

the ACP is awsome and powerfull, the USERCP was redone to optimize the usage of space on small screens

and ive been using Mozi, IE, FB (buld if mozi but it does do things a tad differntly) and even some older browsers and ive not see any critical style errors

Comment

I haven't even tried it on any of my boards yet. I have two boards that I wont even think about converting from 2.3.2 and the third one I think I may be converting that one from beta 7 by Monday night.

The parts I like the most are the new drop downs.
                http://www.icecreamforum.com

Comment

The mozilla bugs are all related to the float CSS attribute which has 170 noted bugs in Bugzilla, though we'll try to work around them. I suspect the end result will be removing all of the float attributes.
                  Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

I love Gamma, and 95% of my members love it too. It's a big step forward in my opinion.

Comment

I noticed that you'd upgraded to Gamma Erwin. You've managed to fit your style to the new Gamma pretty fast, that's quite impressive IMO. It looks great

I think I'll be waiting for the release candidate anyway.
                      Last edited by djnoz; Mon 8 Dec '03, 5:25am.
                      Matt
                      Avatar Generator - The ultimate avatar and banner generation tool. It's a Google Image search mashup.
                      Christian Gaming - A forum for Christians who like video games.

Comment

Maybe it's me or the vb server, but I've noticed a drop in performance. I really like the new style and colours. Unfortunately I sold my license (included with the sale of my network) about a week ago so I can't download the gamma version to play around with. Once I decide on my new project, one of the first things I'll be doing is purchasing a new license.

Comment

High points for me:
                          • Cleaner templates code-wise
                          • Planned XHTML Traditional compliancy
                          • Better code (and far, far better than vB2)
                          • Finally, some list boxes have been replaced with HTML text-only trees a la the vB2 template/replacement editor

And what I don't like:
                          • Insanely overly-complicated style editing page. A quick preview/thumbnail generated in real time of what the forums would look like would greatly enhance the process.
                          • I just don't like the gamma style's appearance, especially the gradients.
                          • Pixel font sizes are used everywhere. That's completely inaccessable for handicapped users. I had to gut the font sizes and faces sections of the CSS to make my new style accessible. (For those who don't know what I'm talking about, pixel font sizes typically do not scale by user preference and are often too small for many users; accessibility has a habit of taking the back seat, it seems, in nearly any web page.)
                          --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                          Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                          vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

The job of pretty much been assigned to is to keep a close eye on vB3 and advise the staff of EoFF on any worthwhile updates - and inevitably, figure out if it will serve us well enough to fit into EoFF's style. That means we basically make vB3 look as much like EoFF's version of vB2 (see the link in my sig) as possible while still keeping the speed and features.

Hopefully it won't be too difficult, because we're basically giving that job to one man.

Of course, prior to that, I've got two of my own vB's that I'd like to upgrade once we're certain that it'll be worth our while, which shouldn't be too far off. One of them is in discussions for upgrading already, while the other is waiting for RC1.

Personally, I really like it. There have been very, very few things that I dislike - and they haven't come to mind right now, to be honest, so that can't be bad.
                            Eyes on Final Fantasy Forums - An Online Community of Final Fantasy Fans
                            Eyes on Final Fantasy (Site) - The Most In-Depth Final Fantasy Site Online

Comment

I really like the new postbit and new style. And this does NOT look like phpBB 2.0.4 or 2.2 at all.

The things I didn't like were changed. It took me awhile (figuring out what I liked), but not a big deal. I hope in the next upgrade that all of the templates aren't changed around a lot. If they are, I'll just have to do some more editing.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X