Coppa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coppa?

What happens when I turn off coppa registration? Some members were telling me that I was violating laws by not asking for COPPA stuff, parent's permission to join the forum.

My site contains nothing sexual, and its intended for young people, plus I dont like COPPA, and I dont collect personal information, only the emails which are requiered to join, which is a must.

So my question is that, what can I get into with this COPPA non compliance? :P

I don't use it. I think it's a pain in the arse. I don't think you can really get into trouble for not having it, I think it makes you look good if you have it though.

But that's from someone with very little legal knowledge.
    "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
    "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
    Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

For more info about this law, see here:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/coppa.htm
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

So, if I only ask for their emails I am not violating COPPA rules?

Comment

Steve,

thanks for the link this information is always valuable to share and make everyone aware of

Comment

If your site is targeted at kids under 13, you should use COPPA, as even collecting their e-mail will violate COPPA (you can collect their e-mail address for one-time contact of the parents to get permission, if they say no, you are supposed to delete it.). And this only applies to US-based people/sites (i.e. owner lives in US and/or site is hosted in US).
            - AJ Zmudosky

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X