X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dolby
    replied
    Originally posted by JAWilliams
    does anyone have any motherboard recomendations?
    I highly recommend the Abit IC7-G.

If this is for business or broadcast I would go with an avid system. We have 2 of these at work (local nbc aff.).
    Last edited by Dolby; Tue 2 Dec '03, 12:38am.

Leave a comment:

• JAWilliams
    replied
    Thanks Kier - I will get back to my team and see what they think and find out what they really need

Leave a comment:

• Kier
    replied
    For DV editing, there is absolutely no point in using SCSI drives, as the required sustained transfer rate is only in the region of 5MB/s, and any new 7,200 RPM IDE drive can achieve that easily.

However, broadcast quality uncompressed D1 PAL footage requires 22MB/s sustained transfer, and that's quite a tall order for an IDE drive.

Then when you start thinking about doing effects like wipes and dissolves using two or more video streams, in order to do that in real time you need to multiply the required transfer rate by the number of streams, so (for example) in order to do a dissolve from one stream to another stream using a travelling matte, that is going to need 15MB/s for the DV system or 66MB/s for the uncompressed D1 system.

Hence the fact that I noted that each of the systems I specced up would need several drives striped together.

For the D1 system, 66MB/s is a big chunk of data, and IDE drives (which rely partly on the CPU for their operation) would struggle badly, whereas with a SCSI chain each drive has its own brain, and can operate without nagging the CPU for help all the time. To get faster transfer with a SCSI system you just keep adding more drives, whereas with an IDE system you have to take into account the law of diminishing returns (and a lower initial transfer rate in the first place).

In summary - for a DV only system, go IDE. If the system is going to do uncompressed D1, SCSI is the only option.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    the cost out weights the benifits,

Leave a comment:

• JAWilliams
    replied
    I have just been chatting to a hardware guy this morning, and he said there is no point in using SCSI drivers as they are expensive and pointless - is this true, or do you really think they will make a difference for the video editing?

Leave a comment:

• Kier
    replied
    Will this machine be used soley for DV editing, or does it need to be able to do broadcast standards such as D1 PAL using Betacam/DigiBeta?

If it's soley for DV, even a reasonably modest machine will be perfectly adequate. I'd recommend something like the following:
    • P4 >= 2.5GHz
    • 1GB DDR
    • 3 x 80GB 7200 RPM IDE drives striped together
    • 2 monitors and a VGA card that can support a 2-monitor desktop
    • Any old firewire card to get the footage on and off the PC
    That system should come in at around £1500 at a guess.

However, if you need to deal with broadcast-quality footage (DV doesn't even approach this quality) then you'd need something more along the lines of this:
    • P4 >= 3.0GHz (or better, dual Xeons)
    • 1-2GB DDR
    • 4 or more x 10,000 RPM Ultra 160/320 SCSI drives striped together
    • ... and I'd highly recommend the new VT[3] from Newtek - nothing else delivers such high quality and flexibility for the price

Leave a comment:

• JAWilliams
    replied
    does anyone have any motherboard recomendations?

Leave a comment:

• filburt1
    replied
    3.0 GHz bare minimum P4--not an Athlon as high-end video software has P4 optimizations
    512 MB RAM, although 1 GB couldn't hurt, but the fastest RAM you can get
    200 GB 7200 RPM bare minimum. Serial ATA couldn't hurt, but SCSI is not likely to be worth the added price (albeit the drives can be 10,000 RPM)
    Get a Firewire card if you have a MiniDV camcorder. The brand doesn't really matter so long as it's a standard Windows device. Your camcorder should be able to scrub the DV feed to an analog signal if you want to put your stuff on VHS and such.

It will be expensive, whatever you get.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    get as fast as a processor and as much ran as you can get

and they dont make scsi drives that big for under 500 a peice

youd be better off with going with a small EIDE 20~ for your main os and 200 or somthing for your videos

Leave a comment:

• JAWilliams
    started a topic Machine Spec for video editing

Machine Spec for video editing

I need some help from some of you asap.

I have been asked to spec a machine, and likely cost to buy the parts (UK - preferably internet sales) for video editing. It needs to be reasonably quick.

This is for professional use, so needs to be pretty good.

any specs would be good

at the moment - im thinking reasonably good spec:

2.5 Ghz Processor
    200 GB/300 GB Hard Drive - SCSI????
    1 GB DDR

CApture Card or external unit - its off DV tape???

Thanks in advance.

Also - if anyone knows much about profressional wireless video transmitters senders, that will be really useful.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X