X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dotcomguy01
    replied
    Originally posted by 0ptima
    I installed squirrelMail to run off of port 80 as 2095(cpanel) was blocked and assumed it was checking my pop account. How can you tell if you are using Imap or a pop account? My mail client is set up to check a pop account.
    You have to have an IMAP server installed. It's possible to use IMAP and POP to access e-mail, except with POP you can only access the "Inbox" and it will remove the e-mails from the server.

SquirreMail is simply an IMAP client. You use the same login information that you would use in another IMAP client whether it be Thunderbird or Outlook.

Leave a comment:

• 0ptima
    replied
    I installed squirrelMail to run off of port 80 as 2095(cpanel) was blocked and assumed it was checking my pop account. How can you tell if you are using Imap or a pop account? My mail client is set up to check a pop account.

Leave a comment:

• dotcomguy01
    replied
    Originally posted by tubedogg
    SquirrelMail has the option to use POP3 accounts as well IIRC? Anyway the idea is the same.
    It works like a web-based IMAP client. Though I stand corrected; there is a plugin for POP3 I was unaware of.

Leave a comment:

• tubedogg
    replied
    I'm aware of the differences, however I was under the impression that SquirrelMail is capable of using POP3 accounts, possibly through a plugin. It's been a while since I've looked at it.

Leave a comment:

• filburt1
    replied
    You might be confusing IMAP the protocol with IMAP the PHP extension. The former is another method of managing e-mail (folders are stored on the server and messages are synchronized), the latter adds IMAP, PHP, and NDAP (or something) support to PHP.

Leave a comment:

• tubedogg
    replied
    Originally posted by dotcomguy01
    Actually, Squirrelmail uses IMAP accounts. It's what I use.
    SquirrelMail has the option to use POP3 accounts as well IIRC? Anyway the idea is the same.

Leave a comment:

• ajk57
    replied
    Originally posted by John Round
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com

Plenty of people selling HM licenses, I got one for half the retail price.
    Hi John,

Any place in particular I get get a preowned license?

Did you get your through here?
    I'm on disability and don't have money to pay the full price.
    I run a non profit board for drummers, drum builders and musicians.

The host I use has Horde and Squirel Mail setup.
    Both run well.

I'd rather have something written for vBulletin.

thanks

Leave a comment:

• dotcomguy01
    replied
    SquirrelMail/Horde/Neomail and the ilk allow access to existing POP3 accounts. To offer your visitors email under this type of software, you'd have to have a POP3 account on your server for every single one - and none of them come with registration scripts cause that's not what they're built for. You'd need to write a custom script to allow people to register without admin intervention and even then you'd have to be able to write a shell script to create new POP3 accounts on your server.
    Actually, Squirrelmail uses IMAP accounts. It's what I use.

Leave a comment:

• Rapid Gaming
    replied
    Originally posted by filburt1
    BTW, this hasn't been made clear yet...do you need vB integration with the webmail script?

As it's been said in the thread, that would mean there are two very different scripts: ones designed to standalone and access individual POP3 accounts, and others that access a master catchall account to create "virtual" e-mail addresses for users (HiveMail and vBMS do this).
    It would be a bonus, however it would be great without

Leave a comment:

• webspinner
    replied
    Thanks for the comments, and I have had a look at hivemail.com. The demo is very impressive, it actually has a lot more features than I expected. So this one is definitely on the shopping list once vb 3 RC is released

Cheers

webspinner

Leave a comment:

• ReveX
    replied
    I don't see how posting a question about HM at vB.com really helps more than that...

Actually *I* planned the April 1st sale. :P And we are not planning one for Christmas. Most likely not April 1st 2004 either. If we were to do one, it would be sometime when people were least expecting it...then again we are not planning on doing one so it doesn't matter anyway.
    No Christmas sale!? Dang... if there was I would definitely purchase HiveMail. Oh well =\

Leave a comment:

• FlyBoy73
    replied
    I purchased hivemail about 3 months ago and will be adding it to my community within the next month, along with a myriad of other scripts and features. I researched and I have followed both Chen & Tubedogg, and you won't get anything better than Hivemail.. I've used it elsewhere and I have faith enough to open my mouth without having it running in our community..
    It's built to run with vb also, so hey.. Can't beat that..

David

Leave a comment:

• tubedogg
    replied
    Originally posted by filburt1
    With respect, posting questions about HiveMail experiences at HiveMail's site is like those who ask about vBulletin at vB.com/vB.org...
    I don't see how posting a question about HM at vB.com really helps more than that...

I myself have heard experiences both ways. Maybe you could get lucky and Chen will plan a massive sale on Christmas like he did on April 1st.
    Actually *I* planned the April 1st sale. :P And we are not planning one for Christmas. Most likely not April 1st 2004 either. If we were to do one, it would be sometime when people were least expecting it...then again we are not planning on doing one so it doesn't matter anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Sijo
    replied
    Wouldn't it be smart to get an extra domain for a web-mail service? Some users might send spam so your domain might get blacklisted by some servers...which means that your own email's (or from your board) don't go through either. Also, some people tend to get names like administrator or admin or boss or whatever, so they might using it for fraud purposes or just to show off...

Just a thought though

Leave a comment:

• filburt1
    replied
    With respect, posting questions about HiveMail experiences at HiveMail's site is like those who ask about vBulletin at vB.com/vB.org...

I myself have heard experiences both ways. Maybe you could get lucky and Chen will plan a massive sale on Christmas like he did on April 1st.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X