HiveMail Alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HiveMail Alternatives

Although I'd love HiveMail, I simply don't have the money, so what free or less expensive alternatives have you seen around?

Thanks

I like:

http://www.uebimiau.org/
    http://www.nuralstorm.net/

Both of them I've used. Currently I use NuralStorm because the UI is quite nice, and it only has read/send mail abilities (which is all I need).
    Bugdar: PHP bug tracking software that is beautiful, fast, and robust.

Comment

Ah, I kinda ment where you can provide vistors with a free @yourdomain.com email address that they sign up for.

Comment

http://www.webhostingtalk.com

Plenty of people selling HM licenses, I got one for half the retail price.

Comment

Squirrel or horde mail, but you might as well just get Hivemail.

Comment

Originally posted by i am coo man
            Squirrel or horde mail, but you might as well just get Hivemail.
            Horde, is there an addon to allow people to register?

Comment

Keep in mind that HiveMail and SquirrelMail/Horde/Neomail are two different types of software.

HiveMail is a HotMail-like system where you offer visitors "fake" email accounts. (Fake in the sense that they do not exist as POP3 accounts on your server.) All registration, mail sorting, etc. is handled by the program internally after being fed the emails through the domain's catch-all account.

SquirrelMail/Horde/Neomail and the ilk allow access to existing POP3 accounts. To offer your visitors email under this type of software, you'd have to have a POP3 account on your server for every single one - and none of them come with registration scripts cause that's not what they're built for. You'd need to write a custom script to allow people to register without admin intervention and even then you'd have to be able to write a shell script to create new POP3 accounts on your server.

Comment

Originally posted by daemon
                I like:

http://www.uebimiau.org/
                http://www.nuralstorm.net/

Both of them I've used. Currently I use NuralStorm because the UI is quite nice, and it only has read/send mail abilities (which is all I need).
                I used to use Uebimiau, but the interface had some frustrating bugs (two of the worst: deleting messages took several steps and it broke clickable links with dynamic URLs) so I switched to another for the rare times I check my mail via a browser.
                --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by tubedogg
                  To offer your visitors email under this type of software, you'd have to have a POP3 account on your server for every single one - and none of them come with registration scripts cause that's not what they're built for. You'd need to write a custom script to allow people to register without admin intervention and even then you'd have to be able to write a shell script to create new POP3 accounts on your server.
                  How hard it is to write the script like that? Technically no host will ever allow you to offer the real POP3 emails, but the script to let people choosing their own pass word, then go to the folder that has neo, horde to check would be great idea for small group.

I have about 20 friends and I want to give them the POP mails to communicate. There is no need of using Hivemail because the needs are too small, plus you can't check Hivemail account in Outlook and alike. So create account for them via cpanel mean I will know their password, and either one of us will want it. How about writing a script that allow them to CHANGE their password after I've create it? That would be wonderful.
                  My forum's vB3 version: 3.6.8

Comment

http://www.sitepointforums.com/showthread.php?t=110896
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Nam,

If you set up an email account for someone using cPanel, you can tell them to login at www.Yourdomain.com/webmail and then they can change their pass themselves.
                      I used Hivemail for a few days, i had problems with it sending mail to the wrong accounts so i quickly removed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nam
                        plus you can't check Hivemail account in Outlook and alike.
                        Actually...

Where is the line between saying things and advertising? :P

We have a plugin ready to go that will be released with HM1.3, that will let you check your HiveMail email from any POP3 client or POP3 service (i.e. inside Yahoo! Mail you can set it to check external POP3 accounts, etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by tubedogg
                          Actually...

Where is the line between saying things and advertising? :P

We have a plugin ready to go that will be released with HM1.3, that will let you check your HiveMail email from any POP3 client or POP3 service (i.e. inside Yahoo! Mail you can set it to check external POP3 accounts, etc.).
                          Plugin? That won't be a standard feature?
                          "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
                          "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
                          Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

Nope, it's a plugin because it's really quite separate. It's written in C or C++ (can't remember which off the top of my head) and runs in the shell on top of an existing mail server. It's actually a whole POP3 server, not just a PHP script designed to act like one.

Comment

That'll be of interest dependent on price.

Been using Hivemail for a while now, and my premium users love it. It *was* a resource hog until I realised I shouldn't really have the php cron set to run every 60 seconds It still hangs sometimes, but nothing a killall php won't fix.

Definitely worth it, in my eyes. I made back the initial investment from people becoming premium members just to use the webmail.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X