X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mtha
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael2
    The problem with the IRC based chats is that they can be set up to grab the vB member name but the user can change it.
    I think that you can setup your irc server (if you have your own irc server), to force chatters to IDENTIFY themself before being able to chat. If you can do that, you can pull password from your forum, so the members could identify themself with those password, or then can manually register "Chat accounts" associate with their forum account, and you admins have to check the information.

(that's the idea, i saw it, but dont know how to do it. it'd be nice if someone can show how to do it)

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    i run a chat between 3 sites, it works rather well, we have regulars and if we have a trouble maker come in its just time to ban them

Leave a comment:

• Michael2
    replied
    Thanks for the comments guys. I'll check into the SigmaChat. The problem with the IRC based chats is that they can be set up to grab the vB member name but the user can change it.

I don't know that I want to pay either. The people who tend to participate in my chat are either troublemakers, freeloaders, or they don't really contribute anything to the boards other than off-topic chit-chat.

But I'll check it out when I get home. In the meantime if anyone has any other comments on my suggestion to just distance myself from the chat with a disclaimer and how effective that would be I'd appreciate it.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    i use vBXirc which i intergrated into vbulletin, its a java client thats fairly customizable it also supports DCC.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...threadid=57509 << vB2

http://www.vbulletintemplates.com/mo...ead.php?t=4660 << vb3

Leave a comment:

• ShadyNight
    replied
    I must agree. I too use sigma and have had nothing to complain about. With the intergration scripts they have avalible there is no need to worry about others using someones nickname.

On top of that the support is AWESOME. Wonderful support. Well worth every penny spent and then some!

Leave a comment:

• okrogius
    replied
    While what I'd suggest isn't free, IMHO it is the best solution. Pay for some premium chat room solution which allows you a greater degree of control - something to log all conversations, enforce the username policy, etc.

One example of what I use on my site and imho is quite good - http://www.sigmachat.com/ (you'll need platinium service to enforce usernames - if you want a demo see my url in a button below the post).

Leave a comment:

• sabret00the
    replied
    set it up so that the java grabs $bbuerinfo[username] as the nick to avoid that username hassle

set up a condition for the post count thins
    PHP Code:
    if ($bbusinfo[postcount] >= X) {
    load java applet;
    } else {
    echo 
    "i'm sorry you're not allowed to use chat as your post count is too low";

something like that, then you can let em have it

Leave a comment:

• Michael2
    started a topic Advice on a Chat Situation

Advice on a Chat Situation

I've offered an IRC chat on my site (with a java interface) and I've always stated that the rules that apply to the boards also apply to the chat. I've also made it very clear that people need to log in using their member name and that if they don't, or they log in using someone else's name, they would be banned from the boards and the chat.

As I explain the situation I'm going to use the names "jane" and "mary jane" in place of the actualy member names...

Last night I go in the chat and I saw someone if "jane" left. Someone said they thought she got offended and left. Apparently there were links to pictures containing nudity posted (which is against our board rules) and it offended this person. So I go to the member list and look up "jane" and see that "jane" is a 17 year old member. I go back to the chat and ask if anyone was aware of this. At first a few people said it wasn't "jane" it was actually "mary jane" (who is 34). Then people are like "I think it was mary jane" and "I sure hope it was mary jane" and finally someone gave me the definitive answer that it was in fact "mary jane."

Now, I don't necessarily mind the fact that the links were posted. I am however very upset that they were posted to someone who logged in under the name of a minor and no one could tell me for sure right away who it actually was. So I decided I would just get rid of the chat.

Several members have left over it, they thought I overreacted. Well, screw 'em. They're troublemakers anyway. Several others really want the chat to stay and I hate to be a hardass about it. What I'm thinking of is letting them keep the channel (or whatever it's called) which happens to have the same name as our site but having X post a disclaimer that the chat is in no way affiliated with the site and removing all links to it from my site.

So my question is, do you know if this is possible? If so, what should the disclaimer say? And do you think this is a reasonable and safe solution for me?

I appreciate any help any of you are willing to provide!
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X