Shooing away the Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooing away the Users

When there are currently active users on the board, how do you get them off, so you can do backups?

Do you just close the board, and tough if they're in the middle of a post. (Seems harsh and not good public relations.)

Do you somehow pop-up a warning announcement, to give them time to finish up? (How do you do that?)
    Thanks,
    Still Waters

How many users are we talking about? Many? or A lot...
    If a lot, place a message saying that you will be closing the board at xx time so you can back up the database...

Comment

If they're in the middle of doing something, like posting or replying, there's no way of warning them anyway, unless you have a realtime applet running in the background (highly inefficient)... but anyway, just close down the board and include an apology in the reason for closing...

Or, you can view the Who's Online list to make sure no one (or as little people as possible) are posting/replying just before you close the board down...

Nevertheless, I know there's a hack over at vB.Org that allows you to PM all online registered members at once...
      OPEN TECH SUPPORT
      "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

Thanks for the good advice. I have posted a warning notice (with bold yellow background) at the top of my header template. Plus, I will check the Who's Online before closing the board, in case someone is just finishing up.

Have a happy Thanksgiving.
        Thanks,
        Still Waters

Comment

When my site does its daily backups automatically, it's all done in the background - the users don't notice it.

Comment

Originally posted by Erwin
            When my site does its daily backups automatically, it's all done in the background - the users don't notice it.
            Same... CRON is quite handy
            Bugdar: PHP bug tracking software that is beautiful, fast, and robust.

Comment

mysqldump --all-databases --opt is handy

Comment

I've seen a few other forums that place a countdown message in the header template, imforming users what time the board will be closed for maintainance.
                Matt
                Avatar Generator - The ultimate avatar and banner generation tool. It's a Google Image search mashup.
                Christian Gaming - A forum for Christians who like video games.

Comment

I always backup my databases without closing the forums.
                  Chamber of Secrets - The Ultimate Harry Potter Community!

Comment

Originally posted by merk
                    mysqldump --all-databases --opt is handy
                    Not if you're on a shared server. I try to do my backups during times of low activity. Over the summer I tended to back it up every day at 1 a.m.
                    "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
                    "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
                    Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X