X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faruk
    replied
    Originally posted by the nail geek
    As far as the feature set, if you look at their iterations and the time it is taking them to impliment new features, they could have most of vB3 features implimented before vB3 goes gold.
    vB3 is efficiently and neatly coded, very modular and extendable.
    Last I looked through the code of IPB (which was not the 2.0 alpha cos AFAIK that's not been publicly released yet?) it was not even close to being as useful as vB3.

With vB3, I can very easily power my entire website which in total has about 4 or 5 times as much functionality and features as vB3 itself.
    Looking at IPB's code, I would say I *could* do it, but it would also take me 4 or 5 times as long. And on a development period of 8 months (min.), that's not something you want.

Leave a comment:

• the geek
    replied
    Originally posted by squall14716
    They are adding some vB3 features and some vB2 features. It still doesn't come close. Nice try, IPB, but you'll have to do a better job than that.
    I havent used IPB, but it does look pretty darn appealing. I think you guys should cut it some slack just because you prefer a different package.
    As far as the feature set, if you look at their iterations and the time it is taking them to impliment new features, they could have most of vB3 features implimented before vB3 goes gold.

What is it going to be like in a year?

I bought a vB license about 3 months ago and have sat on it awaiting a point I can start to hack it to my needs without concern. In that time I have casually watched the competition get closer and closer... and vB ETA's get pushed further and further.

Im too pissed yet... I just thought people should stop with the nervous titters about IPB.

Leave a comment:

• Matthew Gordon
    replied
    Originally posted by tgillespie
    I know. I read through the featuers and kept saying "vB2... vB3... vB2"
    Let's see....
    Unlimited Subforums
    vB1? (-1)
    Multiple Attachments with auto-thumbnail generated
    vB3 or hack
    MultiQuote
    vB3.1? or hack (+1)
    Ignore User
    vB2
    Online/Offline
    vB2
    Relative Dates
    vB3 or hack

They are adding some vB3 features and some vB2 features. It still doesn't come close. Nice try, IPB, but you'll have to do a better job than that.

Leave a comment:

• tgillespie
    replied
    Originally posted by Faranth
    oh like "unlimited subforums"?

lol ib alpha 2 is vb2 ith sum missing features
    I know. I read through the featuers and kept saying "vB2... vB3... vB2"

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    oh like "unlimited subforums"?

lol ib alpha 2 is vb2 ith sum missing features

Leave a comment:

• tgillespie
    replied
    Still, a flat file based templating system isn't nearly as easy as dynamically. Not everyone who downloades phpBB has the time or knowledge to create a local server.

The vBulletin team is a group of professional developers where as phpBB and IPB is a group of talented geeks with a hobby for producing forum software. I think its ironic that IPB is just now implementing features that were highlighted in vB3, though everyone claims that IPB is so unique and special.

Leave a comment:

• djnoz
    replied
    Originally posted by tgillespie
    Have you even used a vBulletin? You have to be seriously twisted if you think its easy to customize phpBB. Everything is hard coded on phpBB where as vBulletin is all stored dynamically. It takes a few minutes to change the header, color, and buttons style of a vBulletin and hours for a phpBB.
    I've got a vB license, and yes, I use it. The version of phpBB that I downloaded (the latest one) has all the settings in include files. It'd be a right pain to customise if you were doing it on a remote server, but if you've got it running on localhost first, it's just a question of opening up the include files and changing the values.. then saving the template. I personally found it a piece of cake

Leave a comment:

• tgillespie
    replied
    Originally posted by djnoz
    I find phpbb quite easy to template hack, especially if you have it running on localhost. Shame about the lack of features though.

vB all the way for me!
    Have you even used a vBulletin? You have to be seriously twisted if you think its easy to customize phpBB. Everything is hard coded on phpBB where as vBulletin is all stored dynamically. It takes a few minutes to change the header, color, and buttons style of a vBulletin and hours for a phpBB.

Leave a comment:

• Faruk
    replied
    I've worked with phpBB and I found it an absolute hell to customize... o.o

Leave a comment:

• djnoz
    replied
    I find phpbb quite easy to template hack, especially if you have it running on localhost. Shame about the lack of features though.

vB all the way for me!

Leave a comment:

• Ryan Ashbrook
    replied
    Originally posted by LeeCHeSSS
    Really, what does it matter that the competition copies. It's not as if Jelsoft would not copy new concepts if IPB (for instance) came with an original one...

All I care about is that vBulletin is much easier to modify/hack... I surely would not dare to even try and build most of my sites around another engine...
    I have to admit that Burning Board is easy to modify as well...

Not as easy as vB though. ^_^

Leave a comment:

• LeeCHeSSS
    replied
    Really, what does it matter that the competition copies. It's not as if Jelsoft would not copy new concepts if IPB (for instance) came with an original one...

All I care about is that vBulletin is much easier to modify/hack... I surely would not dare to even try and build most of my sites around another engine...

Leave a comment:

• Tolitz
    replied
    Originally posted by ogden2k
    That's a good point. I haven't heard of any one else coping the builtin new features that vB has though.
    Once the final version is out, expect the copycats to come out with guns blazing

Leave a comment:

• Mainer82
    replied
    Originally posted by Martyjp
    If they do that though the competition will be able to rip it off before its even been released, then the new look vb wont be much of a new look will it. Already bad enough that most of the new features that were announced over a year ago for vb that still havent been released in a non beta version are now standard features on other types of forums
    That's a good point. I haven't heard of any one else coping the builtin new features that vB has though.

Leave a comment:

• Martyjp
    replied
    Originally posted by mafo0
    Yeah, it would really be rather appropriate to release some screenshots.
    If they do that though the competition will be able to rip it off before its even been released, then the new look vb wont be much of a new look will it. Already bad enough that most of the new features that were announced over a year ago for vb that still havent been released in a non beta version are now standard features on other types of forums

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X