Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Ever-Elusive New-Style Screenshot

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by KuraFire
    First of all, you seem to have very little faith in the new Style.
    Second of all, if you'd pay close attention to what Kier (and sometimes Scott & others) is saying about the new style, it's that it's 1) less clutter, 2) more userfriendly and 3) simplified, better overview etc.

    I'm absolutely positive that the new style postbit will not only be a space saver, but also make matters easier when it comes to: overview, adding hack-related postbit info, redesigning the feel without reinventing the wheel, etc.

    I've already tried it out by making a new GeckoSkin postbit design. Works wonders for space saving, readability, and more.

    If people want to revert to the 'old-skool' sidebar postbit, that's fine with me but I for one will most welcome this change. I feel that whenever something entirely new (or 'new' in this case) is introduced and many people whine about it (forgive the lack of a better word), it's a good change that just has to grow on you.
    lol, it's not no faith it's just i'm not as easily swayed as everyone else as Keir says here
    Originally posted by Kier
    Although one goal of the new style is to conserve space, that certainly isn't the overriding factor in all decisions - the primary concerns are to reduce clutter and simplify the interface.

    Just FYI.
    a good comparison of such a post would be all because a TOMY kids pc is bigger and not as cluttered doesn't mean it's better and/or saves space. basically i will remain skeptical until i see it, but as for everyone here getting excited about something they haven't seen, it's pointless, as i said it call comes down to have vB go about it and this means that it's upto them and user friendlyness, i.e. they'll probably go with tables and you yourself taught me that that's far from the best method (the reason they'll probably go with tables is because they're simpler to arrange than div's and they want ease of use for as many customers as possible), i really don't know how it will turn out but i'm not gonna get happy about a product that's already way overdue and has a styleset they refuse to release snippets of to their dedicated customers, who populate their forums and help their more vB-challenged customers though sheer generosity, so as i said until i've seen it, it's best to remain sceptical

    Comment


    • Yeah, it would really be rather appropriate to release some screenshots.

      Comment


      • What's the point, when it will be released in a few days anyway?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by mafo0
          Yeah, it would really be rather appropriate to release some screenshots.
          If they do that though the competition will be able to rip it off before its even been released, then the new look vb wont be much of a new look will it. Already bad enough that most of the new features that were announced over a year ago for vb that still havent been released in a non beta version are now standard features on other types of forums

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Martyjp
            If they do that though the competition will be able to rip it off before its even been released, then the new look vb wont be much of a new look will it. Already bad enough that most of the new features that were announced over a year ago for vb that still havent been released in a non beta version are now standard features on other types of forums
            That's a good point. I haven't heard of any one else coping the builtin new features that vB has though.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by ogden2k
              That's a good point. I haven't heard of any one else coping the builtin new features that vB has though.
              Once the final version is out, expect the copycats to come out with guns blazing
              OPEN TECH SUPPORT
              "Tech is our middle name!"

              Comment


              • Really, what does it matter that the competition copies. It's not as if Jelsoft would not copy new concepts if IPB (for instance) came with an original one...

                All I care about is that vBulletin is much easier to modify/hack... I surely would not dare to even try and build most of my sites around another engine...

                Comment


                • Originally posted by LeeCHeSSS
                  Really, what does it matter that the competition copies. It's not as if Jelsoft would not copy new concepts if IPB (for instance) came with an original one...

                  All I care about is that vBulletin is much easier to modify/hack... I surely would not dare to even try and build most of my sites around another engine...
                  I have to admit that Burning Board is easy to modify as well...

                  Not as easy as vB though. ^_^
                  Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

                  Comment


                  • I find phpbb quite easy to template hack, especially if you have it running on localhost. Shame about the lack of features though.

                    vB all the way for me!
                    Matt
                    Avatar Generator - The ultimate avatar and banner generation tool. It's a Google Image search mashup.
                    Christian Gaming - A forum for Christians who like video games.

                    Comment


                    • I've worked with phpBB and I found it an absolute hell to customize... o.o

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by djnoz
                        I find phpbb quite easy to template hack, especially if you have it running on localhost. Shame about the lack of features though.

                        vB all the way for me!
                        Have you even used a vBulletin? You have to be seriously twisted if you think its easy to customize phpBB. Everything is hard coded on phpBB where as vBulletin is all stored dynamically. It takes a few minutes to change the header, color, and buttons style of a vBulletin and hours for a phpBB.
                        Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by tgillespie
                          Have you even used a vBulletin? You have to be seriously twisted if you think its easy to customize phpBB. Everything is hard coded on phpBB where as vBulletin is all stored dynamically. It takes a few minutes to change the header, color, and buttons style of a vBulletin and hours for a phpBB.
                          I've got a vB license, and yes, I use it. The version of phpBB that I downloaded (the latest one) has all the settings in include files. It'd be a right pain to customise if you were doing it on a remote server, but if you've got it running on localhost first, it's just a question of opening up the include files and changing the values.. then saving the template. I personally found it a piece of cake
                          Matt
                          Avatar Generator - The ultimate avatar and banner generation tool. It's a Google Image search mashup.
                          Christian Gaming - A forum for Christians who like video games.

                          Comment


                          • Still, a flat file based templating system isn't nearly as easy as dynamically. Not everyone who downloades phpBB has the time or knowledge to create a local server.

                            The vBulletin team is a group of professional developers where as phpBB and IPB is a group of talented geeks with a hobby for producing forum software. I think its ironic that IPB is just now implementing features that were highlighted in vB3, though everyone claims that IPB is so unique and special.
                            Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

                            Comment


                            • oh like "unlimited subforums"?

                              lol ib alpha 2 is vb2 ith sum missing features

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Faranth
                                oh like "unlimited subforums"?

                                lol ib alpha 2 is vb2 ith sum missing features
                                I know. I read through the featuers and kept saying "vB2... vB3... vB2"
                                Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

                                Comment

                                widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X