No announcement yet.

The Ever-Elusive New-Style Screenshot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then again.....scribble will make any style look like crud. Let's just wait till Kier get his design finished and judge. I have a very good feeling the design is gonna grow on us and that people will start copying...
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
      Then again.....scribble will make any style look like crud. Let's just wait till Kier get his design finished and judge. I have a very good feeling the design is gonna grow on us and that people will start copying...
      anyone like my avie

Comment

Originally posted by Faranth
        anyone like my avie
        Well in your case, it would be an impressionistic design so that doesn't count
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

I doubt it they're modifying the code for the new style (at least, not removing any compatability with the old one).

Comment

there modify the HTML code, so yes you would need to rebuild parts of the new style to correctly use the old one ;D

gues you dont make many styles do you ;D

i convert WBB IPB and phpBB styles to vb all the time

id like to think i know what im talking about

Comment

Of course you modify the HTML, but generally you don't need to modify the PHP unless you are adding new information to the style (i.e. by modifying an SQL statement) which is generally not needed for a simple postbit rearrangement. However, I don't know if the postbit set of template is affected by any other templates. Ideally it shouldn't be, but I don't know. In theory, you should be able to take the old postbit and replace it with the new one, but that all depends on how the postbit is implemented.

Comment

i like my avvie better Faranth but I can't use 80x80 here so you can't see the whole thing on mine

Comment

I think they should just include a text file of the default postbit in the distro for those who don't like the new top postbit.
                  "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
                  "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
                  Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

That apprent VB3 style is what I created three years ago!

My concept behind it was to eliminate the wasted space by the column containing the user details, since my site layout at the time was a three column approach (have since redesigned to only two columns).

I actually redid 100% from scratch every single template in VB2 to achieve my needs (including integration with the GUI engine I wrote that handles the look&feel of my entire site). It ended up being several months of work but the result was a look & feel that was completely integrated with the rest of our site - everything from private messaging to threads to searching to profile forms/etc.

Sample thread:
                    http://www.dvdplaza.com.au/forums/sh...threadid=26249

Sample forum list:
                    http://www.dvdplaza.com.au/forums/fo....php?forumid=8
                    Last edited by DVD Plaza; Sat 22 Nov '03, 7:13pm.

Comment

Originally posted by DVD Plaza
                      That apprent VB3 style is what I created three years ago!

My concept behind it was to eliminate the wasted space by the column containing the user details, since my site layout at the time was a three column approach (have since redesigned to only two columns).

I actually redid 100% from scratch every single template in VB2 to achieve my needs (including integration with the GUI engine I wrote that handles the look&feel of my entire site). It ended up being several months of work but the result was a look & feel that was completely integrated with the rest of our site - everything from private messaging to threads to searching to profile forms/etc.

Sample thread:
                      http://www.dvdplaza.com.au/forums/sh...threadid=26249

Sample forum list:
                      http://www.dvdplaza.com.au/forums/fo....php?forumid=8
                      I must say, considering your site's subject, I really like your forum template. It seems a little easier on the eye and lays everything out smoother. There seems to be less clutter is what I am trying to say. Good work.
                      Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Chen
                        Ready? Are you?
                        http://kier.ap3d.com/postbit.jpg

Try not to look at it for too long or you will turn into salt. And not the kind that is used for passwords.
                        Chen, your rendition is nicer than Kier's.

h

Comment

We can already discern the possible reaction to the new style ... be prepared for the aesthetic backlash

Personally, I like it ... saves horizontal real estate, especially for those of us that still use sidebars, content columns and left menus...
                          OPEN TECH SUPPORT
                          "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

I like it but will my users do so?

Making the postbit look like this (vb pre gamma templates set a.k.a vbpgts) is 5 minutes work but i want to use my vB straight out of the box without editing it.
                            That's the end of that!

Comment

i said modify showthread.php's TEMPLATE nothing about modifing the file.....

however like i said to redo the "postbit" template would reqire that you redo other templates to makt it work correctly

Comment

I do hope there is an option. I create my sites at a fixed resolution, ie 580 wide so it is compatible on 800x600.

There is no need for excessive space for a postbit.

Besides that, im sure ill be happy.

PS- Kier, do you like onenote?
                                Last edited by merk; Sun 23 Nov '03, 3:39am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X