Question/problems with IE6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question/problems with IE6

last weekend I started having a problem with my browser, specifically IE. It wouldn't connect to anything, all I get is a Cannot find server error. Mozilla works perfectly, as do any other programs and ports. I upgraded to SP1, but no avail.

I can't seem to find the reinstaller- I tried using add/remove in the CP, but that didn't work.

any ideas?

Originally posted by heretic
    last weekend I started having a problem with my browser, specifically IE. It wouldn't connect to anything, all I get is a Cannot find server error. Mozilla works perfectly, as do any other programs and ports. I upgraded to SP1, but no avail.

I can't seem to find the reinstaller- I tried using add/remove in the CP, but that didn't work.

any ideas?
    There are a couple of possibilities here. First off, you may want to make sure IE is not set to use some sort of proxy (thats the most common thing we see at work), just go to Tools -> Internet Options -> and click on the Connection Tab -> then either look at the properties for your LAN connection (if you have broad band) or look at the properties of your Dial-up Connection, just make sure the Use a Proxy Server is unchecked.

If you can't get the repair feature to work in add/remove programs, try this. Either open a command prompt or type this into you RUN box:

Code:
    rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"
    RPG Warfare
    Choose your Destiny

Comment

yeah, first thing I checked was the proxy settings, I'll try the command line repair tonight

thanks

Comment

Something must be going around... spyware or something. One of my users (corporate) workstations did the same thing as you're describing. Mozilla would work but IE would not.

I tried every manner of forcing IE to reinstall and it never resolved the problem. I finally elected to stop wasting manhours on it and used this as a reason to upgrade them from Win2K Pro to WinXP Pro. Formatted and installed XP on it from across the wire with Ghost.

<shrug>

Comment

Originally posted by heretic

any ideas?
          Everyone I have talked to has said IE 6 is slow or just doesn't work. When I upgarded to IE6 I saw a mad slowdown in loading pages. I should go back to IE 5.5

Comment

Originally posted by marcgo15
            Everyone I have talked to has said IE 6 is slow or just doesn't work. When I upgarded to IE6 I saw a mad slowdown in loading pages. I should go back to IE 5.5
            It works great. Maybe the people you are talking to need to upgrade their antiquated hardware?

Comment

Originally posted by Tungsten
              I tried every manner of forcing IE to reinstall and it never resolved the problem. I finally elected to stop wasting manhours on it and used this as a reason to upgrade them from Win2K Pro to WinXP Pro. Formatted and installed XP on it from across the wire with Ghost.

<shrug>
              Actually there is a trick to get IE to reinstall itselfs. Here is how to do it.

Method 2: Edit the Registry and Install Internet Explorer 6
              WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

When you try to reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer, you may receive the following error message:

Setup has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer already installed on this system.
              Setup cannot continue.

To avoid this error message and reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, follow these steps:
              While you are logged on as an administrator, click Start, and then click Run.
              In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
              Locate the appropriate registry subkey, right-click the IsInstalled (REG_DWORD) value, and then click Modify.

To reinstall only the Internet Explorer 6 browser component on Windows XP, use the following registry key:
              HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}

To reinstall only Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP, use the following registry key:
              HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}

Change the value data from 1 to 0, and then click OK.
              Quit Registry Editor, and then install Internet Explorer 6.
              RPG Warfare
              Choose your Destiny

Comment

I did those things. Still didn't work. Nice to see that other people use the MS Knowledgebase, though.

Comment

MicroSoft is just really starting to suck with most of its software. Only I still use IE6 for is working on my webpages. If you want try "Opera" I have used it for month and had very little problems with it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X