No announcement yet.

Mods not doing their job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me it's all about respect. I realize people have personal lives and things come up but the very least they can do is let me or one of the other mods know. Volunteer or not, just disappearing is not fair to everyone else. Especially when it takes 10 seconds to send a pm or e-mail.

I have this problem now and I'm not sure how to handle it. People don't tend to take de-modding very well.
    HBO Forum - Discuss Game of Thrones, True Blood, Big Love, Boardwalk Empire, and more!
    Disney Forums - Disney theme parks, vacation, entertainment, and more!
    iLoveTalk - Our general discussion forum.
    VeggieBoards - The largest and most active vegetarian forum!

Comment

While we're on the subject of forum policies, where can I find a generic AUP I could start with?

Comment

I thought this was a good place to post another tip about hiring mods that might be helpful.

Hire with a time limit.

We hire mods for 3 months "volunteer rotation". They rotate in....and at the end of the 3 months some of them email me and thank me for the opportunity slip back into civilian life on the website.

Most, though, email me and ask to stay longer. If the mod has been doing a great job, the job is theirs. Applause, applause. If the mod has been hit or miss, more miss, lots of lurking and not a committed, I thank them and remind them of the many members who would like their turn at mod.

Most (I'd say 8 out of 10) stay beyond their initial 3 months and are committed yearly. I have some mods that have been around for 4+ years. Average is 2+ years of daily/weekly committed service.

We also do something for the mods when they "retire". We have member badges (A customization we added) and our retired mods get a member badge of "alumni staff". It helps to honor them, distinguish them from others. And most retired mods stay around and still help out on the site. Some of the occasionally getting things back on track in their offline life and ask to come back.

Yes to the ones that have been faithful before and we need them. Thank you but no...to the ones that were hit and miss. (NO to the ones that didn't stay the whole 3 months or retired end of 3 months and weren't faithful to the team).

I think an initial time frame helps everyone understand that hiring a mod that is good is wonderful for the website and mod team. Hiring one that turns out to not be so wonderful can be misery trying to figure out what to do. Hire carefully! But use the 3 month (or other time frame) to weed out the ones that shouldn't stick around.

P.S. Yes, I've found that some want to stay around as mod to have access to the private forum. There is a great friendship that develops with the mods within our private forum because of the nature of our site. Its added support. However, I do monitor their activity within their assigned forums and sometimes I have to send a progress report of the number of visits to the site or number of posts in a month, etc...

PPS. Keep your mod forum dedicated to business for the most part...and never let your mods slaughter a member in a thread in your private forum. Its unprofessional. Sends a message to the team. Set an example and discuss behavior and never character assasination.

Sorry for the long post.... HTH
        Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

PPS. Keep your mod forum dedicated to business for the most part...and never let your mods slaughter a member in a thread in your private forum. Its unprofessional. Sends a message to the team. Set an example and discuss behavior and never character assasination.
          Good tip. We're always worried about what we may have written about new mods in the past.
          HBO Forum - Discuss Game of Thrones, True Blood, Big Love, Boardwalk Empire, and more!
          Disney Forums - Disney theme parks, vacation, entertainment, and more!
          iLoveTalk - Our general discussion forum.
          VeggieBoards - The largest and most active vegetarian forum!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael2
            Good tip. We're always worried about what we may have written about new mods in the past.
            Ok that's funny.... we always have a webmaster do a search of the host board when we get new mods just to make sure there isn't anything there
            Webmaster in charge of technical stuff and taking out the trash. www.disboards.com, www.wdwinfo.com
            www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com and a few others I am forgetting!

Comment

I think you need to be careful Moderating Mods, sometimes this can have a detrimental effect on the community. I have seen this on boards I have been a Mod on, and I certainly do not intend to make the mistake now I am an Admin.

I think if you are careful who you select as a Moderator in the first place, then you should not have a problem. Of course they all have lives, and that may impeed their Moderator activities for a while, but if you chose wisely, they will let you know before hand what is happening, and they will also try to keep you up to speed on their position. A really good Mod will likely step-down if they feel they cannot perform their duties, thus preventing you from making such a decision.

Comment

Great policy Kathy, have to keep that in mind for future use. I also think the "badge" idea is cool. Just because most mods are volunteers, their work and time is still valuable. There are some people who have the mindset "you get what you pay for". Just because a mod works for free doesn't mean their work is worthless. I've also seen admins who think they're totally doing someone a favor by making them a mod. Sure, being a mod is a privilege, but if the job is done well, the mod's contribution to the site from through time and commitment is very valuable to the webmaster.

Comment

Do you guys pay your mods at all? If not, never cross them. You should be absolutely grateful they ever did anything for your site.

If you must let one go, take that into consideration and don't just blow them off.
                  Well, there it is.
                  - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X