Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    I like the WRT54G Works very nicely....and thank you Wayne for the Linksys Recommendation...Works like a charm

Leave a comment:

• Ksilebo
    replied
    Then I wish Linksys would make their routers look less "Fischer Price" like. :P

I really must have gotten a crap router that misrepresented them then.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    They have always used Cisco components in their routers. At least since I have been using them which was 1999 on.

Have never had a problem with them. I tend not to go with companies that aren't recommended by professionals which includes Netgear. In fact the only place that sells them locally is Bestbuy. Not a single network installer or small computer shop sells Netgear products in my area.

Leave a comment:

• Ksilebo
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke
    Linksys sucks and yet their routers are made by the same company that powers almost every primary network provider and are considered the best in the world.... Cisco. Go Figure.
    They just bought them recently, and the routers that typically are still on the shelves are still the same ones that Linksys made before. Until I can get my hands on a router that Linksys made at least under the supervision of Cisco, THEN I will make a new determination.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Linksys sucks and yet their routers are made by the same company that powers almost every primary network provider and are considered the best in the world.... Cisco. Go Figure.

Leave a comment:

• Ksilebo
    replied
    Originally posted by filburt1
    Routers that have switches instead of hubs are not common and are likely significantly more expensive...it might be cheaper to get a 1-port router and attach a switch to it.
    Not exactly accurate, considering most routers have switches instead of hubs built-in, and cost around $30-40.

Linksys sucks, Netgear has been great to me. Running a dedicated firewall is a pain and it would be easier to spend US $30 for a Netgear router. My FM114P was around $30-40 on ebay. xe.com for conversion.

Leave a comment:

• DarkDelight.net
    replied
    Originally posted by IDN
    A router only stops incoming protocols, a software stops outbound, i suggest tiny personal firewall 2.0, it's free and fast.
    Would this have to run on each machine or as a dedicated firewall box?

Leave a comment:

• IDN
    replied
    A router only stops incoming protocols, a software stops outbound, i suggest tiny personal firewall 2.0, it's free and fast.

Leave a comment:

• wbear
    replied
    Originally posted by DarkDelight.net
    So, you're saying I need a dedicated gateway box?
    (regarding my post about NAT and outbound connections)
    While that would be more secure, no. All you usually need is the NAT firewall at the "gate", with the added protection on the local system of a software firewall will help to prevent anything 'calling home' without you knowing. Inbound requests are mostly blocked by the router.

If you had a lot of systems connecting to this LAN, and had to keep all of them secure from this sort of threat (remotely), then it would make sense to use a hardware solution. Of course, if you had a box lying around that you wanted to use as a dedicated firewall, this is also possible, and much cheaper than an off-the-shelf hardware solution.

Leave a comment:

• DarkDelight.net
    replied
    What is "Stateful Packet Inspection" ?

The Netgear FR314 supports this

Leave a comment:

• Chroder
    replied
    I've got the netgear RP614, it's alright I suppose. I used to have a lot of trouble with it though, the port forwarding wasn't working properly so I had it unplugged for a couple months. Then yesterday I hooked it back up so I could play my X-BOX live -- works fine now.

(My mom thinks its faster lol )

Leave a comment:

• DarkDelight.net
    replied
    Originally posted by wbear
    I don't think typical NAT firewalls in a router do that. It will allow (usually) traffic that has been requested by the originating system (spyware would fall into this category). What you need is either a hardware or software firewall that can watch outbound requests, and notify you (or block).
    Tiny Personal Firewall is the one I use in conjunction with NAT to prevent this sort of thing.
    So, you're saying I need a dedicated gateway box?

Leave a comment:

• wbear
    replied
    I don't think typical NAT firewalls in a router do that. It will allow (usually) traffic that has been requested by the originating system (spyware would fall into this category). What you need is either a hardware or software firewall that can watch outbound requests, and notify you (or block).
    Tiny Personal Firewall is the one I use in conjunction with NAT to prevent this sort of thing.

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied
    it looks like you have to download another program to stop the spyware...

A free, 1-year subscription to FreedomĀ® security and privacy software blocks ads and prevents personal information from being sent over the Internet (for up to 8 Windows-based computers).
    So you get 1 year of this program to stop what you want. It isnt the router itself stopping the pr0n and spyware...

Leave a comment:

• DarkDelight.net
    replied
    Originally posted by Asendin
    Definately Linksys
    Why do you want to monitor traffic so specifically? are you running a web or ftp server?
    No.
    I would not be opposed to running a FTP server though, but I don't know if my ISP will allow it.
    I mainly want to stop software with built in spyware contacting home and installing more **** on my machines.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X