ARGH - ISP charging more for less

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CeleronXT
    Cox Cable is the only cable company around. We are stuck with them if we don't want dial up.
    That is because they have a legal monopoly. It was approved by the Congress of the United States and your local jurisdiction. They granted COX exclusive rights to do business over cable in your area. As such they also granted COX rights to charge what they want for non-television services offered on the lines. Of course the city doesn't complain when the rates go up because they get 5% of the bill as a "Franchise Fee".

A few years ago telephone rates where the same way. The companies could charge whatever they wanted because they had legally mandated monopolies. Now this is deregulated so they have to compete on price and service which only benefits the consumer in the long run. To force your cable company to have to compete, you have to write your elected officials and complain because they are ultimately behind the prices.

Personally, I hope the local cable company (Adelphia) here prices themselves out of business. They are all alike though, just looking for the next gouge against their customers.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Boo hoo cry me a river, when you are stuck downloading at 1 - 2 k a second get back to me. The cable company here has such a monopoly that they are charging people to have fiber put into the ground. I am the only house on the block without cable because the time warner is to cheap to run 40 feet of ****ing line to my house. They want me to pay for it, on top of that their cable is twice as much as my directv.

The thing that pissed me off most is that we moved in this house expecting to have cable access, I know it sounds funny but we needed a high speed connection that badly. It looks like we are going to be stuck on directwav or something similar. The cost for the equitment from directv is less then what time warner wants for the cable line.

Dont even get me started on the DSL around here, my phone line will barley support a 56k.. (well its really about a 14k).

Anyway, had to get that out, feel better now, sucks about your cable. Give them hell

Comment

You should have the telephone test your line for DSL service. Most will install a booster if need be for free to improve signal quality provided you are within range of the switch. Also if you are not in range, they upgrade switches all the time so it shouldn't be long to get it.

Your analog modem connection speed has no relevant comparison with the DSL modem connection speed.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          You should have the telephone test your line for DSL service. Most will install a booster if need be for free to improve signal quality provided you are within range of the switch. Also if you are not in range, they upgrade switches all the time so it shouldn't be long to get it.
          *sigh* if only they were like that in Australia...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X