ARGH - ISP charging more for less

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARGH - ISP charging more for less

I just got an email from my ISP.. It looks like they're going to start charging a lot more for a lot less.

Originally posted by cox
    Dear Cox High Speed Internet Value PackageCustomer:

 

We hope that you have been enjoying the faster speed that the Cox High Speed Internet
    Value Package provides over dial-up. As you know, with an Always-On Internet
    Connection that you enjoy with high speed, you haven’t had to worry about the hassles
    of dial-up; keeping a second phone line or slow speeds, annoying busy-signals, and automatic disconnects.

Free Cox High Speed Internet Preferred Package for 3 DAYS!
    As an important Cox High Speed Internet Value Package customer, we are providing you
    with 3 Free days of the Cox High Internet Preferred Package. With download speeds of
    up to 3MB and an upload speed of up to 256k - you will experience speeds that are 20x’s faster than your current Value Package. And with your free trial of the Preferred Package you will experience speeds that are 100x’s faster than a 28.8k dial-up connection and up to 9 times faster than DSL. Now that’s lightning fast!

What do you need to do?
    Absolutely nothing! Your high speed Internet connection will be automatically upgraded to the new lightning speed. You will be able to enjoy the Cox High Speed Internet Preferred Package from Friday, November 14, and will end on Monday evening, November 17. Your email address(s), username, passwords, etc. will not change. Continue to enjoy your online experience- just faster.

Special Offer
    If you like the Preferred Package during this free period and would like to continue to enjoy the faster speeds, then why not order it! If you order the Preferred Package during this free weekend you will receive a special offer of 3 months at $19.95 per month – that’s less than you are paying now, but with the Preferred Package you’ll get 20x faster speeds! Click here to sign up for this special offer now.

Please know that you are a highly valued customer and we are fully committed to bringing you the kind of products and services you have come to expect from us.

Sincerely,

Cox Communications,

Your Friend in the Digital Age

* If you do not wish to participate in this free Cox High Speed Internet Preferred Package weekend, or future weekends, then please click here to opt out.
    I currently get about 5MBs max on this line. Now they're going to up the price, and even that's only for 3MB/s.

I hear Comcast is doing it too?
    "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
    "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
    Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

That sucks, hope roadrunner doesn't do that.

Comment

Originally posted by f-a_org
      That sucks, hope roadrunner doesn't do that.
      They probably will. Cox, Comcast, Roadrunner, etc all seem to do very similar things.

RoadRunner used to be part of @home, right?
      "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
      "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Comment

Originally posted by CeleronXT
        They probably will. Cox, Comcast, Roadrunner, etc all seem to do very similar things.

RoadRunner used to be part of @home, right?
        You are correct. Cox, RR both were @home IIRC, so they will probably do the same as well.

I currently have Cox as well, but there is no way I'm going to dialup or DSL, so I'll have to stick with it
        Webmaster / Administrator
        www.MegaGames.com
        www.MGForums.com

Comment

Comcast will be giving customers 3.0 MB/s down too.

Comment

<likes his adelphia>

Comment

Consider yourselves lucky you dont have soft download limits.

All australian broadband ISPS limit your download/upload usage to around 3gigs per month.

3Mbps - i would almost do anything for a connection that fast.

Comment

253.96MB In, 84.74MB Out since the pcs started (1d 6h 37m ago) >.> if i only got 3gb a month id be screwed

Comment

3mb is very fast if you compare to my dsl speed.
                  Capped at 80kb per seconds.

Comment

I can achieve 160k/sec downloading off local or very fast international sites.

Its a great speed. But not being able to download more than 3 GB(3x 1000MB not 1024MB) per month sucks. On my current ISP we do have free usage download and media streaming sites, which does help.

If i was to go 900MB over, i would be up for an extra AU$120~ on top of the already expensive AU$94 p/month charge.

(About 70% of it to get USD.)

Comment

I get 10Mb/sec down and 1Mb/sec up with Optimum Online.

Comment

It seems the trend to be putting everything up in price these days. My anytime 56k package is now £15.99 a month (ridiculous)...
                        Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

I checked this morning and I had ~500 kbps. I just checked again, and it's back up to the usual ~3000 kbps. Hrmf.

Comment

Originally posted by CeleronXT
                            I checked this morning and I had ~500 kbps. I just checked again, and it's back up to the usual ~3000 kbps. Hrmf.
                            Cable is a shared node system. You share your connection with everyone on your node. Could have been just a heavy traffic period.

Bummer about them raising prices. My ISP just cut prices by about half a few months ago. Probably because there is competition in DSL since the phone industry is deregulated whereas there is no competition in Cable. They have a true monopoly and can charge you whatever they think is fair without worrying about you going to a competitor. Probably why they are so worried about Satellite Based television as well.

With DSL, I have a dozen companies to chose from and therefore they all try to offer me the lowest possible prices.
                            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                              Cable is a shared node system. You share your connection with everyone on your node. Could have been just a heavy traffic period.

Bummer about them raising prices. My ISP just cut prices by about half a few months ago. Probably because there is competition in DSL since the phone industry is deregulated whereas there is no competition in Cable. They have a true monopoly and can charge you whatever they think is fair without worrying about you going to a competitor. Probably why they are so worried about Satellite Based television as well.

With DSL, I have a dozen companies to chose from and therefore they all try to offer me the lowest possible prices.
                              It was about 6:30 AM in the morning. I wouldn't think it would be that heavy of a traffic period....

Cox Cable is the only cable company around. We are stuck with them if we don't want dial up.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X