Wireless Internet At Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Radon3k
    So all I will need is a wireless router and that's it? I want to be able to have my desktop stay connected as it is now, through the modem but I want to also be able to have wireless access for my laptop. Would this require a router and wireless router?
    I just got a linksys 811.b router. The wireless part should be for your laptop, so it either needs to have built-in wireless (a la Intel Centrino) or you can get a wireless card to fit in your PCMCIA (sp?) slot. They are fairly inexpensive.

Once you have your new router, plug the cable from your modem into the wireless router. Run an ethernet cable from a port on the back of the wireless router to your desktop for a wired connection. Then put the wireless card in your laptop and turn it on and you can share your broadband connection.
    Talk about pets and post pictures at Talk Pets!

Comment

yep i love linksys I am using 802.11G wireless network for linksys. Currently i have two desktop, one laptop, replaytv all connect by wireless. I also got two computers wired to the network. Also i got my phone over ip connection wired to my router. All of this is connect over one cable connection to the internet.

Comment

Linksys 802.11B wireless router here with my Centrino laptop but I also have a Linksys wireless PCI card in another PC in the house.

I sat my laptop next to the microwave and I definately had connection problems, though turning the microwave off solved it.
        Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

I install wireless networks at work, we use 2Wire and Motorola, but I prefer Linksys overall. I've never had any problems with any of the Linksys routers I've setup

One thing to watch out for is if you have a 2.4 GHz cordless phone, they use the same channel plan as the 802.11b routers, and if your phone happens to hit the channel your router uses, it'll knock the wireless PC's offline (Happens every once and a while at my house...)

Comment

At least with the Linksys, you can change the channel it uses to avoid interference from other gadgets like phones and microwaves. For me, channel 7 was the magic number.
            I have 4 desktops, 1 NAS fileserver and a Laser printer running on the wired LAN (via switched hubs), and a laptop on the wireless. The laptop uses a Linksys PCMCIA card to connect.

Comment

definitely do not choose DLink. I bought the router and card for my computer, and am having NOTHING but problems. It just randomly drops the signal, and at the worst times too. I am on my way to return them to Best Buy and get Linksys. Are they any good? Or should I go with Netgear?

Comment

I have no experience with Netgear, so I can't comment on it. I've had several Linksys, and have configured them for others as well, and have to say they are nearly painless to set up. Good browser-based config and decent documentation.

Comment

I went ahead and got Linksys and have had no problems thus far...I plugged it in and it worked, no configuration at all (well...there was, but it was simple compared to the DLink router). I am impressed.

Comment

I want to hop on the wireless bus too

But I don't know what I'm doing. What's the difference between the Access Point and Broadband Router? They both cost the same ($144 CDN)...

Comment

The access point does not have a built in switch, you could get that one if you already have a router/hub to plug it into to ADD wireless to your network...

The Broadband Router has a built in 4 port switch... (for other wired PC's) If you all you have now is one PC hooked up to your cable modem/DSL connection go with this one...

Comment

My laptop that I'm on right now is using Centrino, though I'm hooked up to my cable at home right now. I went to Starbucks last night and they are supposed to have a HotSpot (There's a sign out front) however it didn't work and I don't know why. I even called T-Mobile and they told me that my settings were right and they weren't sure.

Comment

IIRC you usually have to pay to use those T-Mobile hotspots, which is ridiculous given how cheap it is for them to setup and maintain.

An access point's intention is to add wireless to a wired network. A wireless router is just like a normal router, except it implicitly includes a wireless accesspoint.
                          --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                          Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                          vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
                            IIRC you usually have to pay to use those T-Mobile hotspots, which is ridiculous given how cheap it is for them to setup and maintain.
                            I know but I wasn't receiving a signal to the network, that's what I'm not sure about.

Comment

I have been using the Linksys BEFW11S4 and WPC11 for 2.5 years and have had a pleasure using them.

Comment

You'll just need a WRT54G and a wireless PC card for you laptop/desktop

I HIGHLY recommend sticking with one manufacturer as it seems they always have better performance for their own items than others.
                                ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X