Wireless Internet At Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Internet At Home

I have cable at my house and I just got a laptop (I still have my desktop). What is needed and what do I need to do to setup a wireless "network" at my house so that my laptop can get on the internet? As it is now I have to unplug the cable from the back of my computer and plug it into my laptop, which is getting annoying. Thanks.

If you have a router, add a wireless access point (WAP) to it. If you don't, get a wireless router such as those by Linksys (which, IIRC, Wayne loves).
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Or you could get an SMC router.

What does IIRC mean?

Comment

Originally posted by ogden2k
        Or you could get an SMC router.

What does IIRC mean?
        If I recall correctly.

I have a D-Link router (which is horrible) and a D-Link WAP (which doesn't have a web interface so it's annoying, too). At my friend's apartment, we got a $30 after rebate Netgear Wireless Router which is excellent.

Comment

Are wireless networks any good? I've heard that cell phones and microwaves interrupt them. I thought it was B.S. 'cuz lots of companies use them and stuff... But...

Comment

How you say it, you just really need a router if you have the laptop near the desktop.

Also, if you get a Wireless network, be sure to secure it
            Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

D-Link are nothing but trouble for me. My DL-604 router took hours to get working, had to connect it up to several computers before it finally worked out it was supposed to work with the Internet!

And it also tends to stop responding to requests for the web admin after several weeks, this can be fixed by unplugging the router at the mains then restarting it but this should not be necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Chroder
                Are wireless networks any good? I've heard that cell phones and microwaves interrupt them. I thought it was B.S. 'cuz lots of companies use them and stuff... But...
                Yes, that's BS. My wireless network is always working properly.

Comment

Nothing beats the good old wire to router setup, but they have perfected wireless pretty damn good now. I setup my brother and his friends at their apartment and they love it. The had originally purchased a D-Link router which we ended up taking back due to crappy signal coverage, but now everything works fast and flawless on their LinkSYS WAP.
                  Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

So all I will need is a wireless router and that's it? I want to be able to have my desktop stay connected as it is now, through the modem but I want to also be able to have wireless access for my laptop. Would this require a router and wireless router?

Comment

Originally posted by Radon3k
                      So all I will need is a wireless router and that's it? I want to be able to have my desktop stay connected as it is now, through the modem but I want to also be able to have wireless access for my laptop. Would this require a router and wireless router?
                      They make wireless/wired routers. Just be sure it has both.

Comment

Originally posted by tgillespie
                        They make wireless/wired routers. Just be sure it has both.
                        Ahh, this I did not know. Thanks!

Is it possible to buy a Wi-Fi card for a dekstop (Such as a PCI card, perhaps?)?

Comment

Originally posted by Radon3k
                          Ahh, this I did not know. Thanks!

Is it possible to buy a Wi-Fi card for a dekstop (Such as a PCI card, perhaps?)?
                          Yup. They make straight wireless PCI cards and then they make PCI cards with PCMCIA adapters so you can use your exisiting PCMCIA wireless card.

Comment

You can also get tiny USB adapters for both desktops and laptops.

Comment

Thanks for the information, I'll be looking at routers in the next few days then.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X