Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site for helping you get your vb2 boards spidered

www.boardflyer.com

I've created a simple site which spiders boards, creates short (flat like) urls for search engines to understand, and thus producing your posts in Google for example.

I just launched it a couple of days ago. Still in testing, I submitted it to a few search engines, now I have to wait for them to come and see what happens. I think it will be spidered successfully. Its somewhat similar to the vb3 archive thing.

I'd love to hear what anyone has to say about this. Still in testing, dont know if it will be successful or not. For people with vb3, they have no use for my site I guess. Only supports vb2 now, once I am happy with what is indexed on Google and others, I will add support for other boards.

-b

Hmm, so you are taking their content, and putting it on your site, so YOU get the search engine traffic? How does that help the board owner?
    Bike Forums.net

Comment

Originally posted by Joe
      Hmm, so you are taking their content, and putting it on your site, so YOU get the search engine traffic? How does that help the board owner?
      apparently thats what would happen. it helps him by allowing his posts to be indexed. users have the option of going to the original thread. you sound as if this is wrong to do, what do you think search engines do?

Comment

Did those boards even sign up, or did you use them as fillers? Because i know for a fact WHT, freeadvice, doityouself and the other 'big' boards you have there wouldn't sign up for a service like that.

And how do you exect to grow if you don't even have a signup page?
        Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

That is blatent copyright infringment IMO.

You are using other peoples content as the primary function of your own site. And possilbly without permission aswell.

And most importantly you aren't making the original website owners site spider-able as the link to them contains the sessionhash which most search engines do not cache.
          Raz - KMC Forums

Comment

I don't even see a link to the sites...

Comment

IMHO, this is nothing more then content theft. The only one who wins is you, you now have 275,000 content pages on your site. Once indexed, place some adsense on your site, and you can retire... do the forums you currently copy from know about this? I would be nothing less then PISSED if thsi happend to my website.
              Bike Forums.net

Comment

Please don't take other sites content with out asking,
                it violates copyright.

WHT wouldn't need help being spidered when almost everyone knows about it.

If it were my site I would take Legal action probably.

Comment

so i guess everyone should sue google. as long as there is a link to the original thread, its not copyright infringement, especially since the information is public and posted by individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by IDN
                    Did those boards even sign up, or did you use them as fillers? Because i know for a fact WHT, freeadvice, doityouself and the other 'big' boards you have there wouldn't sign up for a service like that.

And how do you exect to grow if you don't even have a signup page?
                    its in testing now, once we are happy with it, there will be a signup page. also, no they didnt signup. thats the thing with spiders, they find anything and everything. i could have gotten those links from a board that signed up and my spider started on another site. you never know.

sites which do not wish to be cached by my spider may opt out this is a rule every search engine has, as my spider board.

Comment

Originally posted by f-a_org
                      Please don't take other sites content with out asking,
                      it violates copyright.

WHT wouldn't need help being spidered when almost everyone knows about it.

If it were my site I would take Legal action probably.
                      every one of your statements is false.

Comment

I believe you should provide links to the sites at the top of EVERY PAGE, and a non-session-hashed page so google can spider that.

Comment

Originally posted by Arunan.S
                          I believe you should provide links to the sites at the top of EVERY PAGE, and a non-session-hashed page so google can spider that.
                          i do have links at the top of every page. are you referring to the threadview page? as for the session hash, i'm only showing the url that was given to my spider, i dont want to alter anything.

Comment

Originally posted by suffeks
                            its in testing now, once we are happy with it, there will be a signup page. also, no they didnt signup. thats the thing with spiders, they find anything and everything. i could have gotten those links from a board that signed up and my spider started on another site. you never know.

sites which do not wish to be cached by my spider may opt out this is a rule every search engine has, as my spider board.
                            You say that there will be a sign-up page. Yet, you also claim that sites may "opt-out".

Now, why would you want an opt-out link unless you're spidering sites OTHER than what people have signed up for?

And how would one tell your spider "No" ?

BTW: vB3's archive feature lets Google and other spiders spider the entire site, as well. There's also a few hacks for vB2. IMO, hosting your own archive is better than having a random spider copy all your content and post it onto a site you know nothing about, without any royalties.
                            :)

Comment

Do you obey robots.txt? Can we have the spider's Ip so we can ban it if we don't wish to have our sites indexed?
                              TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X