Linksys or SMC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linksys or SMC?

I can't decide which wireless router I should get.

I'm debating between a SMC2804WBR and a Linksys WRT54G....

Thoughts?
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

My recommendation is Linksys. They are owned by Cisco and include some of the smartest engineers in the field.

In my tens years of experience in networking computers together everything else is just a waste of time.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Thanks Wayne.... any experience with 802.11b/g?
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Go with SMC, their routers are awsome. I've used them for a few years and have had no problems what so ever.

Although I have with Linksys in the past.

Comment

Okay, well to give people some background here...

I did get a SMC router but I'm thinking of returning it. Its the one I listed above.

I got the option of replacing it, or paying a little more to get a Linksys.

Now my biggest problem right now is that my connection keeps dropping (wireless connection)

I've updated my firmware, I've changed channels.

And I know from reading the SMC Manual that I have approximately 1,000 feet using 802.11b of distance before I have problems

However my system is only maybe at most 100feet (I'll say 200 to be safe) and I'm still experiencing problems.

I'm even using their Wireless PCI Card...and their tech support doesn't really have an idea what to do either...

I know wireless connections are relatively stable, but dropping on me every 5-10 minutes (15 if I'm lucky) is just insane.

I'm getting a real headache from this :-/

Comment

How do you have WEP setup? What OS do you have?

Comment

I have a linksys wireless 802.11g router and I love it, it's one of the most useful things I own. I get about 5 Mbps everywhere in all three floors of my house.
              http://www.almostsmart.com/misc/sig/sig.php

Comment

I have WEP/WAP setup. I use WAP though. More secure from what I heard.

And Windows XP Pro (DUH!)

Edit: oh and I disabled all my security as well and I'm still getting dropped. I get dropped so frequently AIM is sick of seeing my IP trying to login :-/
                Last edited by ManagerJosh; Sat 8 Nov '03, 7:28pm.

Comment

Do you get a lot of phone calls on a wireless phone? Some 2.4 gigahertz phones will kill your wireless connections. Also you want to make sure the router is way from high energy devices like a microwave or television because they can interrupt signals as well.

Hmmm... What else. Some people have complained about signals in brick wall construction but you are in Southern California so it should be stick frame construction unless you live in a building built in the 40s or 50s. If you have a laptop, try taking it to a wireless hotspot to make sure you can maintain a connection. It could be something in the computer (either hardware or software) causing the problem as well.

Can't think of anything else at this time.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Well here's food for thought Wayne

Only thing within that area would be an 900MHz Digital Spread Spectrum Phone and an alarm keypad.

No microwave or television. Maybe a monitor (its hovering over my PC)

I'll tell you right now Wayne something is up because I field tested my router. I placed the router right on my lap and sat in front of my PC and I still got dropped every 5-10 minutes

As for interferance, at my office we have an 802.11b linksys router and we have a ton more interferance going on from printers, dsl modem, a bunch of lcd monitors, laptops, cell phones, networking equipment and other things you can't possibly imagine.

And I still maintain a stable 11MBps connection even when 500 feet away from the office.

Comment

then why did you waste your time with something you weren't sure about?

my wireless access point and card are linksys.

J.

Comment

It could be a faulty Access point, do you actually think SMC would produce a product that drops a connection all the time? Try taking your router and set it up somewhere else, at a friends or wherever.

Comment

If you are using the same device (Laptop, PDA, etc...) to connect wirelessly at home and work. You should synchronize your home security settings to the same ones used at work or use different machine profiles (probably only available on a computer) to handle the differences in connections.

One point of security in Wireless is to kick out offending users if their handshake isn't exactly kosher. By enabling the aspect of being on two networks you could be introducing these problems.

Wayne Luke

Comment

I have a Linksys router, and two Linksys 802.11g WAPs (one of which acts as a bridge). They work fine.

It's all about bridging the wireless signal so you don't have to purchase wireless cards for each client machine.

Comment

I have a Linksys Router (8 port) plus a 802.11b router which just acts as a WAP since DHCP is disabled.

I tried Netgear and a Belkelin (sp?) one and had problems with both, they seemed to drop connections randomly.
                              Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X