Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Table free CSS design - anyone here done it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table free CSS design - anyone here done it?

I'm a bit of an "old school" web designer, so I'm a little out of touch with using elaborate CSS for my designs. I do know a bit of it though, but I'm not that experienced in using it for anything more than modifying some fonts and such.

So has anyone out there done designs and stuff using CSS instead of tables (there's got to be a couple of you )? Advantages? Disadvantages? Learning how to do it won't be a problem for me, I'm just curious about what sort of challenges those of you have faced.

Thanks!
    Pluh.com (random nonsense) - Psychostick.com (my stupid band) - Collectiveunderground.com (AZ local music site) - Evacuatechicago.com

http://www.csszengarden.com/

p.s. not my site
    Last edited by Tolitz; Thu 6 Nov '03, 7:19am.
    OPEN TECH SUPPORT
    "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

Holy crap... nice. Thanks!
      Pluh.com (random nonsense) - Psychostick.com (my stupid band) - Collectiveunderground.com (AZ local music site) - Evacuatechicago.com

Comment

Should check out www.sitepoint.com (not the forums) as they have a tableless design.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I have for someone, nothing too elaborate, but it works very nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
            Should check out www.sitepoint.com (not the forums) as they have a tableless design.
            Yeah, that's the place I started pondering this whole table-free stuff.

That link that Tolitz provided frickin' blew me away. I didn't know that it could get that elaborate. Simply put, WOW.

I ordered some books on CSS, and plan on digging deep into it. I think I can take this far with the ideas I've been having for my new site design.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayn
              That link that Tolitz provided frickin' blew me away. I didn't know that it could get that elaborate. Simply put, WOW.
              Easy now... Sit back relax, and .......... yeah that's it relax. Now here is more for you. I did this with my last site and it worked about 90%, I could not control a couple of things ussing straight CSS, and frankly really did not want to spend more time on it.

I use it now with tables, and have no probs. It's just up to you. You will hear alot of things good and bad, and it's just a matter of playing around with it. you can go here to my personal page this is about 80% CSS I used a table or two for outside control.

Now for the links enjoy, these sites are great resources for CSS enjoy.

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/journey/
              http://glish.com/css/home.asp
              http://www.bluerobot.com/web/layouts/
              http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tut...arounds.html#2

-Louis
              Louis| Techieville.com

Comment

www.webtrickscentral.com

I am using a tableless design, and I'll continue using tableless designs. Everything is much easier to edit, and it's more organized. Tables shouldn't be used for a layout anyways- CSS is the presentational language, not HTML.

My design is fairly simple- but I imagine you can get a lot more complex.
                http://www.webtrickscentral.com/images/wtcsig.jpg

Comment

i belive Kura Fire is making somthing like this, however tables are needed in some instances

Comment

Originally posted by jamslam
                    Tables shouldn't be used for a layout anyways- CSS is the presentational language, not HTML.
                    My design is fairly simple- but I imagine you can get a lot more complex.
                    I read that somewhere too But the truth is it depends on what you are doing. Your site is simple the CSS works. But once you start getting into complex designs/cuts/placements CSS does not cut it for me. Now Im sure there is a way, but I dont have time to worry about that, I simply use my control tables and use CSS for other things.

It's a matter of opinion when I started years ago no one was using tables, then everyone was, now CSS is in the picture, tommorow it it will something else
                    Louis| Techieville.com

Comment

Well hopefully CSS3 will be supported soon after it becomes an official W3C recommendation, as that should solve the inadequecies of CSS 1 & 2.

EDIT:
                      http://www.gwws.net/ajz/ (URL IS OUTDATED)
                      You can see my current test in CSS2/XHTML1.1 right now. I have developed it on my Mac and only viewed it in Safari and briefly in Windows IE 6 and there are a few issues as of yet that I have not had time to resolve.
                      Last edited by Andy Z; Wed 22 Jun '05, 9:10am. Reason: Added link
                      - AJ Zmudosky

Comment

It took what 6 years to get CSS 1 to the support it is today and CSS 2 still doesn't have full support?
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Tabular data should be stored in tables

No design with data that should be presented in this fashion should be used without tables!!

I was also very impressed with the zengarden, though thats a bit over the top for most webmasters. vBulletins style system while doesnt peform the same function in the same way, provides for the same method of control by modifing the source instead of a css file.

Comment

I just finished designing my freelance site using XHTML and CSS. It's not launched yet so I can't provide a URL.

I personally think the hardest part to using CSS is in positioning of the page elements. I'm still learning CSS-P myself and once I have it down to a tee, i'll probably use it all the time instead of tables.

Comment

Anyway to take a site and convert it to css? Like majic or something? I wish Dreamweaver would take all html and convert to CSS.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X