Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    Seriously Radon, hotspots are the biggest thing now. Ever go somewhere and its running through the back of your mind do I have any emails at currentpolitics or posts I need to mod, or hope there isn't trouble at my site, and so forth?

That's the advantage of having a wireless technology. You just goto a hotspot, connect in, and then do your business.

Its shown that people who get laptops gain an extra three hours of productivity over those who use desktops.

Those who have wireless technology in their laptops gain an additional 8hrs making them 8hrs more efficent of those who just have laptops and 11hrs over those who just use desktops.

Plus those 2.Xghz ones are heavy, low battery life, and they use desktop processors which uses emits a LOT of heat, and in the long run, your CPU is going to give out.

Leave a comment:

• Radon3k
    replied
    I, too, am looking for a laptop. I like the one that ManagerJosh just showed however since I don't plan on doing a lot of wireless work I don't need the Pentium-M, I would prefer 2.XGHz and up.

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    CL50 Specs
    • Processor Type : Intel Pentium-M in mFC-PGA package, On-die 1MB L2 cache
    • Processor Speeds Supported : 1.3GHz - 1.7GHz
    • Chipset : Intel 855PM ("Odem") / ICH4-M
    • Memory : 2 memory slots expandable to 1 GB using SO-DIMM (200-pin/3.3V) devices. Supports DDR 266 SDRAM modules in sizes of: 128MB, 256MB & 512MB
    • Graphics : Integrated ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 (M9-P) with 64MB DDR VRAM
    • Display Options:
      14.1" XGA (1024x768) Active Matrix TFT
      15" SXGA+ (1400x1050) Active Matrix TFT
    • Hard Drive : 2.5" (9.5mm) IDD HDD with support for 20, 30, 40, 60 & 80 GB capacities
    • Optical Multimedia : Pick from either a CD-ROM (24x), a 24x10x24x8 DVD/CD-RW combo, or a DVD-RW (2x) drive
    • Networking : Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
    • Modem : Integrated V.92/56K modem
    • PCMCIA Slots: One Type II slot
    • Mouse : Touchpad with 2 buttons, auto-scroll up and down capability
    • Keyboard : 85 keys with 101/102 emulation; supports "Windows" Key & Application keys
    • Sound : Realtek ALC202 AC'97 audio w/ built-in 2 speakers
    • Other items : 1 Secure Digital (SD) memory card slot
    • Included : Black Nylon Carrying Bag with shoulder strap
    • I/O Ports :
    1 x RJ-45 LAN Port1 x DDC2-B compliant VGA 15 pins3 x USB 2.0 Ports1 x RJ-11 Modem Port1 x TV Out (S-Video connector)1 x IEEE 1394 (Firewire)1 x Bi-Directional, ECP/EPP Parallel1 x Microphone-in1 x Fast Infrared (FIR)Kensington Security Lock 1 x Headphone-out
    • Wireless : Intel PRO/WIRELESS 2100 802.11b Wi-Fi Mini-PCI module needs to be added to support Centrino logo.
    • Other Optional Items : USB Port Replicator, extra battery, universal car adapter, extra AC adapter
    • Operating System : Pick from Windows XP PRO, WinXP Home, or Win2K PRO
    • Additional Software : WinDVD & Nero Express 5.5 if CDRW or DVD-Combo installed
    • Battery : Lithium-Ion battery w/8 cells and 65Whrs capacity 4 hr. operation time
    • Dimensions : 12.99" x 10.74" x 1.17" (WxDxH)
    • Weight : 5.9 lbs for 14.1" model
    • Warranty : 1 Year Parts and 3 Years Labor with optional extra 2 Years Parts warranty
    • Warranty Repair : normally 48 hr. turnaround

Pictures can be found at:
    http://topmicrousa.coolsimstuff.net/...71&postcount=2

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    Originally posted by HostOrbit
    Go with a IBM as Dell are basically a low quality value for money company. Although IBM are known for making bad hard drives. But i am not sure if they use their own hard drives in their own machines.
    Not necessarily True. I've found out that once you start with the high end models, you end up paying a ton more money than if you went with whitebook solutions.

Leave a comment:

• Kwak
    replied
    Originally posted by DR€@M W€@V€R
    whatever you do dont get a toshiba...theyre rubbish...when you throw them across the room the screen smashes
    Umm..try not throwing your notebook around. Hehe.

Leave a comment:

• DR€@M W€@V€R
    replied
    whatever you do dont get a toshiba...theyre rubbish...when you throw them across the room the screen smashes

Leave a comment:

• HexOnxOnx
    replied
    Originally posted by iKwak
    I never heard hard drives going bad on an IBM notebook but more on desktops.
    How do you like your R40? Pictures and small review?
    Here are 3 pictures of mine. They aren't all that great but you can see the computer at least.

The red button in between the G H and B keys is like a joystick (track point) so to speak. You can move the pointer in any direction with this. The touchpad has two sets of bottons. The ones with the red strip work with the track point and the greyish button works as a scroll after you click on a page. The touchpad can also be turned off while leavin the trackpad and it's buttons working.

The top of the screen has a light which lights up the keyboard in low light areas without reflecting on the screen. There is a keyboard customization utility so you can make certain keys do other functions. The laptop has two USB connectors, one on the back and one on the left. My computer came configured with Bluetooth wireless already, yours most likey will as well.

One important feature: BOTH memory slots are reachable simply by removing the memory cover on the bottom. The computer is upgradeable to 1GIG total.

Ok hope this helps!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Kwak
    replied
    Originally posted by HostOrbit
    Go with a IBM as Dell are basically a low quality value for money company. Although IBM are known for making bad hard drives. But i am not sure if they use their own hard drives in their own machines.
    I never heard hard drives going bad on an IBM notebook but more on desktops.
    How do you like your R40? Pictures and small review?

Leave a comment:

• djnoz
    replied
    Mine is a Fujistu-Seimens, I bought it recently and I love it. What's more, Linux installs like a charm. Fairly cheap too.

Leave a comment:

• RichM
    replied
    Last edited by HostOrbit; Sun 2 Nov '03, 10:28pm.

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    Try a CL50 unit. Relatively decent (and it comes from the same manufacturers who build the laptops for Dell/HP/Toshiba)

Leave a comment:

• HexOnxOnx
    replied
    From what I know, the T40 is a business machine and the R40 isn't The R40 comes with XP home. I have the R40 with the 2.4GHZ processor and 512MB ram and 60G HD.

I had a Dell 600 before I got the IBM and I love the IBM 100% more. One thing I did do was get rid of the recovery partition on the drive and install my own copy of XP Pro. The computer runs probably 50% faster especially on boot up now that I did this.IBM Has alot of junk that loads up on boot making the time before you can actually do anything seem pretty long.

Leave a comment:

• Kwak
    started a topic Help me choose a laptop.

Help me choose a laptop.

I got down to these:

Dell 300m / Dell 600m / IBM T40 / IBM R40

I needed compact and good battery length.
    I don't think 300m battery last more than 2 1/2 hour but it is light and compact. Doesn't have internal optical drive.
    IBM T40 has everything but very expensive.
    IBm R40 is much cheaper but other people told me to spend extra and go with T40.

Any recommendation out of those?
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X