Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UHN_ED
    replied
    Dell does not make the laptops they sell.
    HP does not make the laptops they sell.
    Toshiba does not make the laptops they sell.

etc...

Most companies do not make the laptops they sell. They buy from ODMs. I have a Compaq, I would never buy a Compaq desktop (or any pre-built, but thats a different story). I have no problems buying a laptop from Compaq though, since Compal built it.

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    No. Dell buys the laptops from a taiwan firm.

Leave a comment:

• ShiningArcanine
    replied
    Are they designed by the Dell engineers?

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    CL50 is made by the same people who make Dell units....

Leave a comment:

• ShiningArcanine
    replied
    Go with the Dell 600m. I have used Dell PCs before and they are solid computers.

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    I believe Asus' M3N works well with Red Hat Linux

Leave a comment:

• UHN_ED
    replied
    I am about to install Linux on my laptop that has an Intel 2100 card in it.

If SuSE is compatable with the Centrino card I will let you know how to go about connecting.

PM me in 4-5 days if I forget to reply here.

Leave a comment:

• Radon3k
    replied
    That's pretty cool, thanks. However I'm probably going to be running Linux on the laptop (Haven't decided yet), can you, or anyone else, tell me if this works on Linux?

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    Originally posted by Radon3k
    How does one connect to a hotspot? Does the computer just pick up a signal on it's own and you're automatically connected or do you have to somehow connect manually?
    What happens is you get an alert in the systray that one or more wireless connections is available. The icon looks like one of those network connections icons.

From there you right click it and click view available wireless connections. You'll get a dialog like the one attached and you click connect and BANG you are connected
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Radon3k
    replied
    How does one connect to a hotspot? Does the computer just pick up a signal on it's own and you're automatically connected or do you have to somehow connect manually?

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    Indeed. Intel projected there were gonna be 31000 hot spots in the year 2003. So far there are 75000+ hot spots added this year and they expect that we'll reach 1,000,000 hotspots worldwide by the end of 2004.
    Last edited by ManagerJosh; Mon 3 Nov '03, 12:00pm.

Leave a comment:

• Radon3k
    replied
    Thanks, but there are only a few hotspots in my area and none of them are places I go to on a regular basis (such as Barnes and Noble). However I'm sure more will pop up soon.

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    Oh and here's a hotspot locator....

http://intel.jiwire.com/

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    Some hotspots cost money, however there are quite a few free ones out there. I know that Starbucks and Borders in my area offer hot spots and the ones I goto are free.

Centrino is basically three components to make up the wireless technology.

Intel Pro/Wireless 2100 network Card, Banias Chip (The CPU) and 855 Chipset.

It uses the 802.11b technology and depending on model, has a built in antenna.

The purpose of centrino is to "unwire your life"

Intel® Centrino™ mobile technology is Intel's new technology designed specifically for mobile computing with integrated wireless LAN capability and breakthrough mobile performance. It also enables extended battery life and sleek, easy-to-carry notebook PCs.

The benefits of using an Intel Centrino Notebook is:

1) Improved performance over standard P4 Mobile processors. And I can tell you right now the performance is quite noticeable (especially when rendering video)

2) Increased battery life (some models are 6-9hrs, lowest I've seen is 5hrs)

3) Thinner design. Since this CPU doesn't emit a ton of heat, it doesn't need all the extra cooling mechanisms. This means your notebooks can get to about an inch in thickness and about 3-6 lbs in weight.

Very noticeable when the P4-M units are roughly 8-10lbs..

And then there is the wireless technology. You can roam your home with your notebook, and do your business while watching TV, eating dinner, etc. while you check your email, post here at vB.com, check what's going on at your site, do your mod duties, talk to your friends via IM all in the own comforts of your own enviornment

Leave a comment:

• Radon3k
    replied
    How do I find one of these "hotspots" and does it cost anything to connect? How does one go about connecting? I don't fully understand this Centrino technology, which may be one reason I haven't really looked into it that much.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X