Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh and here's a hotspot locator....

http://intel.jiwire.com/
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Thanks, but there are only a few hotspots in my area and none of them are places I go to on a regular basis (such as Barnes and Noble). However I'm sure more will pop up soon.

Comment

Indeed. Intel projected there were gonna be 31000 hot spots in the year 2003. So far there are 75000+ hot spots added this year and they expect that we'll reach 1,000,000 hotspots worldwide by the end of 2004.
        Last edited by ManagerJosh; Mon 3 Nov '03, 12:00pm.
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

How does one connect to a hotspot? Does the computer just pick up a signal on it's own and you're automatically connected or do you have to somehow connect manually?

Comment

Originally posted by Radon3k
            How does one connect to a hotspot? Does the computer just pick up a signal on it's own and you're automatically connected or do you have to somehow connect manually?
            What happens is you get an alert in the systray that one or more wireless connections is available. The icon looks like one of those network connections icons.

From there you right click it and click view available wireless connections. You'll get a dialog like the one attached and you click connect and BANG you are connected
            Attached Files

Comment

That's pretty cool, thanks. However I'm probably going to be running Linux on the laptop (Haven't decided yet), can you, or anyone else, tell me if this works on Linux?

Comment

I am about to install Linux on my laptop that has an Intel 2100 card in it.

If SuSE is compatable with the Centrino card I will let you know how to go about connecting.

PM me in 4-5 days if I forget to reply here.

Comment

I believe Asus' M3N works well with Red Hat Linux

Comment

Go with the Dell 600m. I have used Dell PCs before and they are solid computers.

Comment

CL50 is made by the same people who make Dell units....

Comment

Are they designed by the Dell engineers?

Comment

No. Dell buys the laptops from a taiwan firm.

Comment

Dell does not make the laptops they sell.
                            HP does not make the laptops they sell.
                            Toshiba does not make the laptops they sell.

etc...

Most companies do not make the laptops they sell. They buy from ODMs. I have a Compaq, I would never buy a Compaq desktop (or any pre-built, but thats a different story). I have no problems buying a laptop from Compaq though, since Compal built it.

Comment

Dell/Hp/Toshiba laptops are also built by Compal.

Comment

I learned tonight that you can still have the same wireless capability on a Pentium 4-M that you can have with Centrino. Centrino is designed to increase the longevity of the battery. Of course if you have Centrino then you have the wireless capability as well. I found an HP laptop tonight that was very nice, though I'm still shopping around. I'd consider a Fujitsu if I could find a retailer in the US such as Best Buy or Circuit City that offered them.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X