X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me choose a laptop.

I got down to these:

Dell 300m / Dell 600m / IBM T40 / IBM R40

I needed compact and good battery length.
    I don't think 300m battery last more than 2 1/2 hour but it is light and compact. Doesn't have internal optical drive.
    IBM T40 has everything but very expensive.
    IBm R40 is much cheaper but other people told me to spend extra and go with T40.

Any recommendation out of those?

From what I know, the T40 is a business machine and the R40 isn't The R40 comes with XP home. I have the R40 with the 2.4GHZ processor and 512MB ram and 60G HD.

I had a Dell 600 before I got the IBM and I love the IBM 100% more. One thing I did do was get rid of the recovery partition on the drive and install my own copy of XP Pro. The computer runs probably 50% faster especially on boot up now that I did this.IBM Has alot of junk that loads up on boot making the time before you can actually do anything seem pretty long.
    http://www.icecreamforum.com

Comment

Try a CL50 unit. Relatively decent (and it comes from the same manufacturers who build the laptops for Dell/HP/Toshiba)
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Go with a IBM as Dell are basically a low quality value for money company. Although IBM are known for making bad hard drives. But i am not sure if they use their own hard drives in their own machines.
        Last edited by HostOrbit; Sun 2 Nov '03, 10:28pm.

Comment

Mine is a Fujistu-Seimens, I bought it recently and I love it. What's more, Linux installs like a charm. Fairly cheap too.
          Matt
          Avatar Generator - The ultimate avatar and banner generation tool. It's a Google Image search mashup.
          Christian Gaming - A forum for Christians who like video games.

Comment

Originally posted by HostOrbit
            Go with a IBM as Dell are basically a low quality value for money company. Although IBM are known for making bad hard drives. But i am not sure if they use their own hard drives in their own machines.
            I never heard hard drives going bad on an IBM notebook but more on desktops.
            How do you like your R40? Pictures and small review?

Comment

Originally posted by iKwak
              I never heard hard drives going bad on an IBM notebook but more on desktops.
              How do you like your R40? Pictures and small review?
              Here are 3 pictures of mine. They aren't all that great but you can see the computer at least.

The red button in between the G H and B keys is like a joystick (track point) so to speak. You can move the pointer in any direction with this. The touchpad has two sets of bottons. The ones with the red strip work with the track point and the greyish button works as a scroll after you click on a page. The touchpad can also be turned off while leavin the trackpad and it's buttons working.

The top of the screen has a light which lights up the keyboard in low light areas without reflecting on the screen. There is a keyboard customization utility so you can make certain keys do other functions. The laptop has two USB connectors, one on the back and one on the left. My computer came configured with Bluetooth wireless already, yours most likey will as well.

One important feature: BOTH memory slots are reachable simply by removing the memory cover on the bottom. The computer is upgradeable to 1GIG total.

Ok hope this helps!
              Attached Files
              http://www.icecreamforum.com

Comment

whatever you do dont get a toshiba...theyre rubbish...when you throw them across the room the screen smashes

Comment

Originally posted by DR€@M W€@V€R
                  whatever you do dont get a toshiba...theyre rubbish...when you throw them across the room the screen smashes
                  Umm..try not throwing your notebook around. Hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by HostOrbit
                    Not necessarily True. I've found out that once you start with the high end models, you end up paying a ton more money than if you went with whitebook solutions.
                    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

CL50 Specs
                      • Processor Type : Intel Pentium-M in mFC-PGA package, On-die 1MB L2 cache
                      • Processor Speeds Supported : 1.3GHz - 1.7GHz
                      • Chipset : Intel 855PM ("Odem") / ICH4-M
                      • Memory : 2 memory slots expandable to 1 GB using SO-DIMM (200-pin/3.3V) devices. Supports DDR 266 SDRAM modules in sizes of: 128MB, 256MB & 512MB
                      • Graphics : Integrated ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 (M9-P) with 64MB DDR VRAM
                      • Display Options:
                        14.1" XGA (1024x768) Active Matrix TFT
                        15" SXGA+ (1400x1050) Active Matrix TFT
                      • Hard Drive : 2.5" (9.5mm) IDD HDD with support for 20, 30, 40, 60 & 80 GB capacities
                      • Optical Multimedia : Pick from either a CD-ROM (24x), a 24x10x24x8 DVD/CD-RW combo, or a DVD-RW (2x) drive
                      • Networking : Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
                      • Modem : Integrated V.92/56K modem
                      • PCMCIA Slots: One Type II slot
                      • Mouse : Touchpad with 2 buttons, auto-scroll up and down capability
                      • Keyboard : 85 keys with 101/102 emulation; supports "Windows" Key & Application keys
                      • Sound : Realtek ALC202 AC'97 audio w/ built-in 2 speakers
                      • Other items : 1 Secure Digital (SD) memory card slot
                      • Included : Black Nylon Carrying Bag with shoulder strap
                      • I/O Ports :
                      1 x RJ-45 LAN Port1 x DDC2-B compliant VGA 15 pins3 x USB 2.0 Ports1 x RJ-11 Modem Port1 x TV Out (S-Video connector)1 x IEEE 1394 (Firewire)1 x Bi-Directional, ECP/EPP Parallel1 x Microphone-in1 x Fast Infrared (FIR)Kensington Security Lock 1 x Headphone-out
                      • Wireless : Intel PRO/WIRELESS 2100 802.11b Wi-Fi Mini-PCI module needs to be added to support Centrino logo.
                      • Other Optional Items : USB Port Replicator, extra battery, universal car adapter, extra AC adapter
                      • Operating System : Pick from Windows XP PRO, WinXP Home, or Win2K PRO
                      • Additional Software : WinDVD & Nero Express 5.5 if CDRW or DVD-Combo installed
                      • Battery : Lithium-Ion battery w/8 cells and 65Whrs capacity 4 hr. operation time
                      • Dimensions : 12.99" x 10.74" x 1.17" (WxDxH)
                      • Weight : 5.9 lbs for 14.1" model
                      • Warranty : 1 Year Parts and 3 Years Labor with optional extra 2 Years Parts warranty
                      • Warranty Repair : normally 48 hr. turnaround

Pictures can be found at:
                      http://topmicrousa.coolsimstuff.net/...71&postcount=2

Comment

I, too, am looking for a laptop. I like the one that ManagerJosh just showed however since I don't plan on doing a lot of wireless work I don't need the Pentium-M, I would prefer 2.XGHz and up.

Comment

Seriously Radon, hotspots are the biggest thing now. Ever go somewhere and its running through the back of your mind do I have any emails at currentpolitics or posts I need to mod, or hope there isn't trouble at my site, and so forth?

That's the advantage of having a wireless technology. You just goto a hotspot, connect in, and then do your business.

Its shown that people who get laptops gain an extra three hours of productivity over those who use desktops.

Those who have wireless technology in their laptops gain an additional 8hrs making them 8hrs more efficent of those who just have laptops and 11hrs over those who just use desktops.

Plus those 2.Xghz ones are heavy, low battery life, and they use desktop processors which uses emits a LOT of heat, and in the long run, your CPU is going to give out.

Comment

How do I find one of these "hotspots" and does it cost anything to connect? How does one go about connecting? I don't fully understand this Centrino technology, which may be one reason I haven't really looked into it that much.

Comment

Some hotspots cost money, however there are quite a few free ones out there. I know that Starbucks and Borders in my area offer hot spots and the ones I goto are free.

Centrino is basically three components to make up the wireless technology.

Intel Pro/Wireless 2100 network Card, Banias Chip (The CPU) and 855 Chipset.

It uses the 802.11b technology and depending on model, has a built in antenna.

The purpose of centrino is to "unwire your life"

Intel® Centrino™ mobile technology is Intel's new technology designed specifically for mobile computing with integrated wireless LAN capability and breakthrough mobile performance. It also enables extended battery life and sleek, easy-to-carry notebook PCs.

The benefits of using an Intel Centrino Notebook is:

1) Improved performance over standard P4 Mobile processors. And I can tell you right now the performance is quite noticeable (especially when rendering video)

2) Increased battery life (some models are 6-9hrs, lowest I've seen is 5hrs)

3) Thinner design. Since this CPU doesn't emit a ton of heat, it doesn't need all the extra cooling mechanisms. This means your notebooks can get to about an inch in thickness and about 3-6 lbs in weight.

Very noticeable when the P4-M units are roughly 8-10lbs..

And then there is the wireless technology. You can roam your home with your notebook, and do your business while watching TV, eating dinner, etc. while you check your email, post here at vB.com, check what's going on at your site, do your mod duties, talk to your friends via IM all in the own comforts of your own enviornment

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X