Site Closing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site Closing

Have anyone of you been kinda forced to close your site? If so, how did you go about it? Did you resurrect it later?

Thanks,
    Andrew

Are you planning on closing TAC?
    Last edited by CeleronXT; Mon 27 Oct '03, 2:34am.
    "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
    "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
    Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

Well it IS that time of the month again...

Comment

I remember you posting multiple times before about this.. Do you stalk his every post? O_o

Just wondering.
        "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
        "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
        Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

Originally posted by InSite
          I understand you guys dont like hearing about his site so much, but must you quote on it every time he says something about it?

Comment

Originally posted by InSite
            LOL!!1

But anyway, yeah, one time I was "kinda forced" to close a site, so that I could make room in my budget to open another site. I just made a backup of the MySQL database and all of the directories.
            http://www.arsegaming.com/dice/index.php/stuff.jpg

Comment

Well he's either gonna close it, or he isnt. But every month we get the thread, as though it's some 'cry for help' attention seeking.

Ok - I guess there's no need to be mean. Andrew - why dont you tell us why you might be 'forced' into closing it, or selling it as you were thinking last time? I'm hanging on your every word... quite literally.

Comment

The only time I ever considered closing down my tech site was when I got laid off from my last job a year ago... and I only considered it for about two minutes
                OPEN TECH SUPPORT
                "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

I believe his decission is because I can't offer him free hosting anymore. When I offered him the plan for $0.00 a month, I was hoping for something in return. That was my mistake I guess. I'm giving him 2 weeks to find a new host and have already provided him with current backups.

Nothing happened, but Andew is $6.99/mo that I could use.
                  Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

Is that why his site is FUBAR now then, or is that his fault?

Andrew - you've been given some really good, solid advice over the months on how to improve your site, especially design wise. It's been pointed out to you that you spend too much time on forum hacks and technical things like support ticket systems, when you should be concentrating on content and some graphics. What annoys me is that you have been constantly asking for this advice, but never acting upon any of it.

If you can demonstrate that you are serious about this site, and arent going to quit in another couple of months, and that you are prepared to take on board the contructive comments you have received here, then I am prepared to help you out with free hosting - but I will expect a small banner in return at the bottom of each page.

Let us know. It would amuse me no end to be the one to 'save' your site.

Comment

I wouldn't really say it's my fault that it's closing. I'm asking these questions because I'm curious that if anyone ever had to shut down and then resurrected it later, was it still the same activity wise and such?

Yes, I was taking the advice. A new style with new graphics just got finished yesterday but I found out about the hosting thing a few hours after, and so it wasn't implemented.

My members also wished for the newsletter to be brought back as a means of content and articles for other members and guests to read. The Editor and Co-Editor were being selected, but before that several members also said they'd help out with writing articles that other teens would like to read. I also had saved articles from the last newsletter we had, way back in May. Our activity and member base wasn't good at all then, so the newsletter fell apart. This time, however, it will be different.

So yes, I was taking the advice, it's just been slow going since I've had other projects and sites needing my attention as well.

Comment

Ok - then PM me if you want to take me up on my hosting offer... (also let me know how much space and bandwidth you are currently using, so I can make sure you have a package with plenty of room for growth)

Comment

Another member here has kindly offered free hosting.

Thanks for your offer, though. It's appreciated.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X