X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tgillespie
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris Stewart
    Obviously sqall, but software shouldn't take 7 betas before moving to RC. Plus, there should be no more than 2 RCs. As people have already stated, RCs are basically finished products with no new features added. Something as huge as the style should have been added during the first or second beta. Bugs from the style and everything else could then have been fixed through beta three and four. Then RC1 would be a frozen code base with only minor bug fixes and RC2 would basically be final unless anything else was found. That is how a development cycle should go.
    Who says it has to be done this way. There are no guidelines Jelsoft needs to abide by when releasing vB. You're asumptions of correct software production are different from mine as is mine are different from the next persons. I would venture to guess that you have not released anything on the scale of vBulletin, so you probably don't have near the clue the vB team does when it comes to betas, alphas, RCs. Let them carry it out how they planned, because changing their plans now is only going to hault the process even more. So until you can be an asset to the release and start helping rather than *****ing, close the yapper, sit down and wait like the rest of us.

kthx

Leave a comment:

• Chris Stewart
    replied
    7 betas reflect negatively on the product IMO. I think many would agree with me. I mean look at some of the stuff going on in the bug tracker (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/bugs....view&bugid=880). The subscription system is getting a re-write after beta 7. Sounds like something that should have been solid before released to the public. Not to mention all of the trouble that can come from a complete re-write of the style. You think 500 bugs is a lot in 4 betas? I can't imagine how many more could come of a new style system. Nothing against Kier, but it's tough to get something that large perfect the first time (i.e., vB3 ).

Leave a comment:

• Alcar
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris Stewart
    Obviously sqall, but software shouldn't take 7 betas before moving to RC. Plus, there should be no more than 2 RCs. As people have already stated, RCs are basically finished products with no new features added. Something as huge as the style should have been added during the first or second beta. Bugs from the style and everything else could then have been fixed through beta three and four. Then RC1 would be a frozen code base with only minor bug fixes and RC2 would basically be final unless anything else was found. That is how a development cycle should go.
    It doesn't have to. If the vBulletin Developers wish to do it another method, they are free to do so. You are stating an opinion, not the proper method.

I'm happy waiting.

Alcar...

Leave a comment:

• Chris Stewart
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Matthew Gordon
    replied
    Everyone already knows that there is going to be more than one RC, which is why they are calling it RC1.

Leave a comment:

• iDavid
    replied
    Originally posted by Tolitz
    Last year, people here are demanding an update on vB3 almost everyday, and when the Jelsoft people gave it, they are still not satisfied and demand that they release a beta asap .... Jelsoft gave in, but still people are not contented and further demand that they release RC1 or the new style or even the final version be released as soon as possible...
    I would say that much of the problem was that only the latest two betas were really betas -- in fact, without the new style, even that's pushing it.

An alpha version doesn't have all the features implemented that the final version will have; a beta version is an untested but complete application.

And I really think that the new style should be released before RC1 -- by not doing that Jelsoft's basically asking that there be an RC2, as style bugs are almost ensured.

Leave a comment:

• InSite
    replied
    Originally posted by Tolitz
    Last year...
    That's the problem right there though...

Leave a comment:

• Tolitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike Warner
    I know the devs are working hard on this, but could they have kept the work undercover a bit longer?
    Last year, people here are demanding an update on vB3 almost everyday, and when the Jelsoft people gave it, they are still not satisfied and demand that they release a beta asap .... Jelsoft gave in, but still people are not contented and further demand that they release RC1 or the new style or even the final version be released as soon as possible...

It's just a case of Bart Simpson's "Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" on our part... we demand early updates during the alpha stages, and when we are given that information, we then complain why they released that info so prematurely...
    Last edited by Tolitz; Sat 25 Oct '03, 6:09pm.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Stewart
    replied
    What I find funny is how excited John acts in that thread. He mentions how they've been working so hard on it, etc, but when you look at what was done at that point it doesn't seem that huge. Also, I've heard Scott say a few times in the bug tracking area that he's about to rewrite a certain part of the code. That's only been in the past 2 months. You'd think major code rewrites would have happened before the initial public preview. Or at least 6 months before the final release.

Leave a comment:

• dynamite
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol
    Sadly we won't have the ability to travel back in time and change how this was done until vB 6 at the earliest.
    SO,when will vB 6 be released?!?!

Leave a comment:

• N9ne
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol
    As Scott said we agree that this has taken too long and this won't happen again with future projects. Sadly we won't have the ability to travel back in time and change how this was done until vB 6 at the earliest.
    You mean you haven't heard of vTimeMachine?! Where have you been Steve! .

Love the avatar Mike , SpongeBob is THE best cartoon sponge!

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    As Scott said we agree that this has taken too long and this won't happen again with future projects. Sadly we won't have the ability to travel back in time and change how this was done until vB 6 at the earliest.

Leave a comment:

• mafo0
    replied
    I am not so much frustrated with the length of time as I am with the uncertainty of when it will be out. The developers have implied that they know when it will be out, but have refused to tell us.

I understand the fact that they do not want to release a date and then get burned by not meeting it. While this may be a concern, I would think there would be ways to get around it. For example, don't make the information right there on the board. Have a special place in the members section where people can choose to view estimated release dates. Before viewing them, though, they must agree to pages and pages of legal jargon about how they understand it's a tentative thing, that they will not discuss it on the boards or with anyone else, and that they won't say a word if it is not released by that date, etc etc...

I know that sounds lame, but I think there should be some way for people to know, as long as there is some way we might have some knowledge of when it is planned to be released.

If someone flames me for this I will just laugh at them...

Leave a comment:

• A:\
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark Hewitt
    I disagree. There is nothing wrong with Jelsofts customer service and they appear a perfectly professional company to me.

What is a problem is the shockingly slow development time.
    By customer service I wasn't implying that how they handle their customers is wrong, far be it, they have an excellent support system and all of the staff help out on the forums on a daily basis.

I mean more to the side of, if a company says they will release their product within a certain time frame, but then put back that time frame by over a year.. that to me, is un-professional.

Leave a comment:

• Scott MacVicar
    replied
    We all completely agree that this has taken too long and this wont happen again with all of our future projects.

A more precise documentation and timeline will be used rather than the current unorganised system.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X