Way back in June 2002.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tgillespie
    Considering the fact that vB2 is still a better board than any of the free ones, customers of vBulletin have little room to complain about vB3 not being RC.
    While I am not in advocacy of Dev bashing, I would like to point out that the newest versions of IPB are equal to, and in some ways surpass, the features of vb2. Of course, vb2 surpasses IPB in some ways too, but right now there is no clear cut "winner" as far as features go. vB, of course, has 1000 times better support and hacks etc etc, but in a raw install its a close call.

Comment

Heretic said that alot of people were upset, well I am betting alot more people than that are happy. We will have a final sometime around Christmas, that is good enough for me, good enough that I bought another license last week when people were discussing multiple license discounts in another thread.
      http://www.icecreamforum.com

Comment

I agree waiting until RC to put in the new style might have been a misteak, theres no changing it now. As with the time it took to get to this point in development.

The developers have done a great job of coding vB 3 and at this point fixing bugs and getting the last few issues resolved. I was very happy the frist time I saw the source code, it is so much cleaner then vB 2...

I am happy that everyone on the team agrees vB 3 is taking to long, thats a steap in the right direction and I can not wait to see what will be done about it. For now I say leave them be and let them get vB 3 gold released. The changes will come but right now getting the software out is most important.

Comment

phew

Well. Hate to rebump this (not that it was down the list at all)... but I thought I should add my 2 dimes worth after reading this thread the past couple of days.

2 dimes worth.
          Yes I am a pissed about the release schedule. Saying that... The devs have pretty much said they are as well. Do you think they want to work under an assumption that everyone is pissed at them? They know the whole thing is a fiasco but its a bit too late to do anything about it other than ride it out. Ill bet my license that they won't allow the same thing to happen next time. My vote is to have them focus on getting the final out rather than read these threads or post new release cycle guidelines. Hell... if I were a vB dev I would want to commit Hara-kiri with a dull spoon after visiting this thread. How productive would you be?

Free boards
          Free boards are coming along very nicely. Last I saw phpbb2.2 it was looking very sweet. Though I still do some developing with phpbb2 and have one on my site... I got a little fed up with the 'Don't ask about development cycles, release dates, and feature sets because we are free and you are damn lucky to be using us' attitude that was thrown around a lot... so I have recently came over to vB so that I can feel like a customer instead of a leech.

My Jerry Springer Close
          Being a developer... I can be pissed at the unprofessional way this has been handled... but being a developer... I can understand that they are doing everything they can to do the best for their customers... and at the end of the day... that is what is important. Letting the devs know your unhappy about the situation is productive. Regurgitating the negativity over and over is (at best) unproductive (at worst) delays the release that much more.

Take care and try to love one another. (Isn't that what Jerry would say?)

nJoy
          My Twitterings

Comment

Originally posted by the nail geek
            Well. Hate to rebump this (not that it was down the list at all)... but I thought I should add my 2 dimes worth after reading this thread the past couple of days.

2 dimes worth.
            Yes I am a pissed about the release schedule. Saying that... The devs have pretty much said they are as well. Do you think they want to work under an assumption that everyone is pissed at them? They know the whole thing is a fiasco but its a bit too late to do anything about it other than ride it out. Ill bet my license that they won't allow the same thing to happen next time. My vote is to have them focus on getting the final out rather than read these threads or post new release cycle guidelines. Hell... if I were a vB dev I would want to commit Hara-kiri with a dull spoon after visiting this thread. How productive would you be?

Free boards
            Free boards are coming along very nicely. Last I saw phpbb2.2 it was looking very sweet. Though I still do some developing with phpbb2 and have one on my site... I got a little fed up with the 'Don't ask about development cycles, release dates, and feature sets because we are free and you are damn lucky to be using us' attitude that was thrown around a lot... so I have recently came over to vB so that I can feel like a customer instead of a leech.

My Jerry Springer Close
            Being a developer... I can be pissed at the unprofessional way this has been handled... but being a developer... I can understand that they are doing everything they can to do the best for their customers... and at the end of the day... that is what is important. Letting the devs know your unhappy about the situation is productive. Regurgitating the negativity over and over is (at best) unproductive (at worst) delays the release that much more.

Take care and try to love one another. (Isn't that what Jerry would say?)

nJoy
            I doubt you will get accurate Jelsoft release dates, dev cycles or feature sets

Comment

One of my (owned) licenses expired recently. I am not renewing it until the final release of vb 3. And frankly, it's time to draw a line here.
              HFT Online - Professional computer help ... with a personal touch

Comment

Originally posted by Techguy1
                One of my (owned) licenses expired recently. I am not renewing it until the final release of vb 3. And frankly, it's time to draw a line here.
                Owned licences do not expire, only access to the members area to download new versions.

Loads of people seem to get confused by this. You don't have to pay the $30 when it expires you can pay this whenever you want, so what is the point you are trying to make?

Comment

Originally posted by poolking
                  Owned licences do not expire, only access to the members area to download new versions.
                  That's kind of a show stopper..
                  http://www.almostsmart.com/misc/sig/sig.php

Comment

Originally posted by Techguy1
                    That is what we recommend.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I guess I'll be among the few patient people who are just eagerly yet patiently waiting. I need to renew my owned license, but I can wait.

http://i.ksilebo.com/ksicom_button.png
                      http://i.ksilebo.com/simpli_button.png

Comment

This is a blatantly poor excuse....

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
                        We all completely agree that this has taken too long and this wont happen again with all of our future projects.

A more precise documentation and timeline will be used rather than the current unorganised system.
                        If the people behind vBulletin admits that the development of vB3 took too long to complete, then at the very least you should offer vB2 buyer's a free or complementary upgrade to vB3 specifically for those whose 1 year (owned licensed) upgrade is about to expire!

Comment

Originally posted by grace819
                          If the people behind vBulletin admits that the development of vB3 took too long to complete, then at the very least you should offer vB2 buyer's a free or complementary upgrade to vB3 specifically for those whose 1 year (owned licensed) upgrade is about to expire!
                          There was a three-month extension to everyones' licenses
                          My open eyes see everything, and you see nothing. . .
                          That forum

Comment

Originally posted by rylin
                            There was a three-month extension to everyones' licenses
                            I bought my vB in the hope that vB3 would be released within a 1 year time frame yet after more than a year of waiting, were still in the Beta stage! I always believed in the saying that "You get what you pay for", but this is ridiculous and a total sham! If this is the best business practice and service that Jelsoft can offer their existing clients (specifically for those whose owned licensed are expiring) then they have already lost a customer since it really shows how much they really value their clients and they're only after the $$$!

After all this wait and after seeing the development going on at Invision, PHPBB and the other boards (not to mention that they're FREE), I'm sorry to say that I regret my purchase of vB!
                            Last edited by grace819; Wed 29 Oct '03, 9:18am.

Comment

Originally posted by grace819
                              I bought my vB in the hope that vB3 would be released within a 1 year time frame yet after more than a year of waiting, were still in the Beta stage! I always believed in the saying that "You get what you pay for", but this is a total sham! If this is the best business practice that Jelsoft can offer their existing clients (specifically for those whose owned licensed are expiring) then they have already lost a customer!

After all this wait and after seeing the development going on at Invision, PHPBB and the other boards (not to mention that they're FREE), I'm sorry to say that I regret my purchase of vB!
                              You got a three-month extension, didn't you?

Also, jelsoft didn't give a release date.
                              They gave release-estimates, personally.
                              My open eyes see everything, and you see nothing. . .
                              That forum

Comment

Originally posted by rylin
                                You got a three-month extension, didn't you?

Also, jelsoft didn't give a release date.
                                They gave release-estimates, personally.
                                If your happy with the service then fine... but IMO, this type of service and practice is totally unacceptable.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X