Way back in June 2002.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve Machol
    We owe our customers good quality software and excellent support. Sometimes we do better than at other times.

What I think is being missed here is that we already have stated that we agree this process has taken too long and that we are making changes to ensure this doesn't happen again. In the final analysis all we can do s to try to continue to improve. There really isn't much we can do about the past.
    And what's currently being missed here is a status update. I think that many customers will stop complaining if they'd know what the current status is.

Maybe you should think about a weekly announcement regarding the progress being made?

Comment

With respect all involved in VB3 all we need is someone to offer James/John a significant amount of cash for the VB2 source code then release it to the Open Source Community, then we can fork a new project and develop it as fast as we like

Anyone for Open-VB3?
      http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Dave#
        With respect all involved in VB3 all we need is someone to offer James/John a significant amount of cash for the VB2 source code then release it to the Open Source Community, then we can fork a new project and develop it as fast as we like

Anyone for Open-VB3?
        heh that would be nice

Comment

Wow... this thread got out of hand since I last replied! Steve... I'm still waiting to know when vB 6 is going to be released!

I actually do miss the updates. They did seem to keep the masses at bay, since everyone felt a little more informed on the status of progress.

Now for my 2 cents worth. I think the problem with vB 3 is that Jelsoft tried to provide too much at one time. If you have questions about that, then just take a look at http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showpost.php?p=396510&postcount=1, and see for your self what all has been implemented. I really think they would have been better off to create a good stable code base, and then develop a plug-in type system which would allow for easy implementation of updated features (rather than something that would require a lot a hacking like the things from vb.org). Then release plug-ins with updated features as soon as they were complete. This way you have a stable product released quickly, but at the same time can provide your customers with regular updates with the features they want without the entire process becoming too cumbersome because one part is slowing down the development of the other.

Comment

As Scott said we agree that this has taken too long and this won't happen again with future projects. Sadly we won't have the ability to travel back in time and change how this was done until vB 6 at the earliest.
            I wouldn't count on that... you see if vB6 did include time-travel technology we would have gone back in time already and fixed this mess and wouldn't have this discussion at all.

Chen Avinadav
            Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

Comment

Originally posted by Chen
              I wouldn't count on that... you see if vB6 did include time-travel technology we would have gone back in time already and fixed this mess and wouldn't have this discussion at all.

Sorry Chen, but that would create a paradox. If you went back in time and fixed "the mess" then the chain of causality would be broken - it's the mess now that eventually leads to the release of vB6! Sheesh, haven't you ever seen Back to the Future? The only good use for time travel is finding out the result of future sporting events in advance so you can bet on them.
              The Admin Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators
              Articles - Forum Review
              Interviews:
              KierScottJerryAndreasSteveWayneJakeFlorisLogicianErwin
              Paul M

Comment

here's where I carry issue. You've admitted it's taken way too long.

You have yet to even publicly introduce the style set of the boards! That is not a minor issue! You have failed to give anything even hinting as to what the style will be, or as to the code that will power it. Integration with our site(s) would be much easier if we knew what to expect.

hell, even a daily blog to let us know you're not out golfing half the week would help. But instead we're sitting here, renewing our licenses, waiting on a product that has no release date, that we have no idea what it will look like, or how it'll fit into our site. We're pumping money to you and getting nothing in return but "soon".

I'd love to be working on a bike, and tell my customer who just dropped 20k that his bike will be done "when it's done".

You owe it to your customers to give them at least an idea of what the RC will be.

Comment

Originally posted by heretic
                  here's where I carry issue. You've admitted it's taken way too long.

You have yet to even publicly introduce the style set of the boards!
                  That's because it doesn't exist yet. We can't give you something that doesn't exist. It's currently being developed.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

That's because it doesn't exist yet. We can't give you something that doesn't exist. It's currently being developed.
                    why wasn't this started at beta 1? that's when you knew the major features.

automakers release concepts. game designers release concepts and screenshots.

there is no reason for it not to exist. how could you design a product with no idea onhow it'll look in the end? that does not make sense, and never will no matter how much you try to rationalize it. Because right now, how I see it, you crammed eleventy billion features into a forum without any sense as to how it'll go together.

I'm sorry, but you guys really need to get your act together. This is basic stuff here. I can't believe you didn't have a style set even in the works until just recently?!?

Comment

Unbelievable

I just popped in out of curiosity after discontinuing use of this product several months ago due the issues raised in this thread. LOL. Nothing has changed. Upset customers -- Blind loyalists and still NO product. All that's changed is the number on the Beta.

The statement that Jelsoft owes the customer nothing is just priceless!
                      ParroTalk Forums

Comment

unbelievable ... everybody's a backseat programmer

too funny
                        OPEN TECH SUPPORT
                        "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

no, everyone's a realist.

Jelsoft is a business. They have obligations to keep. Granted, they do not need to release the RC at any time if they wish not to.

However the free boards are looking better and better each day, and with every implied deadline pushed back, more and more customers are getting fed up.

The fact this thread is 5 pages long, and the issue keeps coming up should speak volumes. It's not a fluke. A lot of people are upset.

Comment

Jelsoft is a business. They have obligations to keep. Granted, they do not need to release the RC at any time if they wish not to.

However the free boards are looking better and better each day, and with every implied deadline pushed back, more and more customers are getting fed up.

The fact this thread is 5 pages long, and the issue keeps coming up should speak volumes. It's not a fluke. A lot of people are upset.
                            I must confess I feel more comfortable with Open Source tham I do with closed source however IMVHO VB2 is still miles ahead of the Open projects even without VB3.

Having said that remember why VB came into existance and lets not go down the same road again
                            http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

Considering the fact that vB2 is still a better board than any of the free ones, customers of vBulletin have little room to complain about vB3 not being RC. When people purchase a vBulletin license, Jelsoft mentions nothing of vB3 because it is not their official product and shouldn't be expected just yet. Go ahead and switch to you're free board, I don't think vBulletin would be missing much.
                              Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

Nah, the only thing this thread proves is that you can never please everyone
                                OPEN TECH SUPPORT
                                "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X